Hunting in America vs Africa

One of the beauties of the USA system is opportunity for hunters from all over. A South African resident, for example, could hunt here without a guide or assistance from anyone.

You would first have to get Hunter Education certification, but you can do this online from several states without having to be a resident of that state. The certification is good for all 50 states and Canadien provinces. Take online course, print card.

Learn to use a map and identify public land.

Research research research.

Buy or draw tag for an animal in a state that has public land.

Fly to nearest airport, rent car, drive to hunting unit and have at it.

It is more work than that sounds like, but that is one nice thing about the system in the US.

Also, you can do fenced hunts here in many states like in RSA, especially Texas, and hunt on a kill fee basis year round. It is pretty pricey, and depending where you go the ranches can be anywhere from huge to tiny.

The regulations aspect is the worst of it here but if you can read you can (probably :LOL:)figure out what's legal and what's not. The reason for all these regulations has been stated in earlier posts: it's mostly about the number of hunters, the pressure they put on the game and revenue. Countries boast of having a million man army, for instance. The state of PA where I often hunt has almost 1 million licensed hunters and that's just one US state! That's a lot of hunters and hunter $.

REF:
States with the most registered hunters - Pennsylvania

One other thing, in most areas and states here in the US you do not need a outfitter or guide for any animal.

Except, some States require non-residents (people from other States) to hire an outfitter in order to hunt. Once you add that an Elk hunt in Wyoming will cost more than an RSA hunt for multiple species including the air fare. Not to mention you have about a 30% chance to get your Elk.

I no longer hunt big game in the States (with the exception of mountain lion and bear) rules are too complicated and the hunt itself is not worth my time.

Except, some States require non-residents (people from other States) to hire an outfitter in order to hunt. Once you add that an Elk hunt in Wyoming will cost more than an RSA hunt for multiple species including the air fare. Not to mention you have about a 30% chance to get your Elk.

I no longer hunt big game in the States (with the exception of mountain lion and bear) rules are too complicated and the hunt itself is not worth my time.
The myriad of regulations, requirements, seasons, types of weapons, times of day, ad nauseum are the bane of modern day hunting. In one state I hunt, there's a requirement for gun deer hunters to wear a specific square inch amount of fluorescent orange on the body and head that needs to be worn UNLESS you are using a flintlock, then it's ok to wear a buckskin coat and a coonskin hat. Years ago when I started, politics didn't play much of a part in the regs. Now it is part and parcel of how game is managed.

I believe that Wyoming is the only state that does that in the lower 48 and that is only for wilderness hunts.
Alaska on the other had does require a guide for a number of animals, but there are a lot up there that you can do it yourself.

I think hunting in the US, especially for those of us up in years has changed, both for the good, and some for the bad.

You often hear of older hunters in the US pining about the good old days. I think a lot of that is not so much about game numbers(because honestly there are a lot more animals now of nearly every species then 50 years ago), but it was a simpler time. There were more public lands to hunt. You bought your very inexpensive license, grabbed your only gun, either shotgun or rifle, packed some crackers and cheese in a paper bag, and went hunting.

You were either taught to hunt by a father, grandfather, uncle, or a friend’s dad. Success was infrequent, but you cherished just being outdoors, and the companionship of good friends. You would stop by the local hardware store, that also served as the checking station. Hours could be spent just listening to the latest tales of conquest, sipping on a cold root-beer from the ice box, waiting to see if someone was lucky enough to bag a buck, and show it off like a pair of new shoes.

Now days, while still a good amount of public lands to hunt, or government land, some of the best country is private. Folks tend not to want to allow hunting on the property they paid dearly for. And as said elsewhere, regulations, areas and boundaries, rules and laws are as much about preventing lawsuits as they are conservation.

None of this keeps me from hunting. But Africa now is vastly different than it was 25 years ago when I first visited. And hunting in the US is vastly different than it was 25 years ago too. But the constant is as long as you are a hunter, and have that soul of a hunter, you adapt to an ever changing world and continue to do what we do. We hunt.

I live in cold Minnesota. It is $36 for a Rifle hunt deer tag. Another $36 for archery deer tag, and another $36 for a muzzleloader tag. That is pretty cheap and gets about 500,000 deer tags sold in a year for a harvest total of around 180,000 deer.

When I go home to Montana where I grew up, the deer and elk tag is $1000 (or only $500 if you have a relative still hunting there). A cow elk tag in Idaho is about $600. No guarantees, other than a great time hiking. Public hunting land is a real blessing to the country. Learning to hunt public land takes effort and multiple years.

The Minnesota hunting regulation book is a bit over 100 pages. I read it every year because they change it every year. Since I am an attorney, I’m stuck being the guy to figure out what the rules say. I love to hunt, so I admit that reading the regulations is a necessary but enjoyable task.

One of the beauties of the USA system is opportunity for hunters from all over. A South African resident, for example, could hunt here without a guide or assistance from anyone.

You would first have to get Hunter Education certification, but you can do this online from several states without having to be a resident of that state. The certification is good for all 50 states and Canadien provinces. Take online course, print card.

Learn to use a map and identify public land.

Research research research.

Buy or draw tag for an animal in a state that has public land.

Fly to nearest airport, rent car, drive to hunting unit and have at it.

It is more work than that sounds like, but that is one nice thing about the system in the US.

npm352,

Can you advice on following

1. Can you give some links for online hunters education?

2. What states would you recommend for hunting for non resident, or foreigner?

3. What species would you recomend to hunt on public land?

4. What invasive species might be huntable as well? Like hogs, any other?

npm352,

Your question on states and species is a really broad question. Every huntable animal in the United States is available on public land. A recommendation really depends on your expectations of trophy quality and success rates. For success rates and over counter tags, both Colorado for elk and Pennsylvania for white tail deer manage their hunting for increased license sales for a high population of animals, but not necessarily trophy animals. Public land options available in both. If you want high trophy quality you need to research areas and success rates on tags. There are several services that offer assistance in applying for tags. This used to be Cabelas tags but is now worldwide trophy adventures, I’ve never used, but their business is assisting people apply for tags and in correct areas https://worldwidetrophyadventures.com/tags-service/how-it-works/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.49 AM.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 108
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.51 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.52 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.53 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.55 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.56 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.47.58 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 108
npm352,

You can do the Pennsylvania on line course and it is valid for acquiring a hunting license in all 50 states.

A number of states will accept other countries firearm safety credentials.

You just need to determine the state that you are looking at and then email them and ask what they accept. They know that if you are coming from another country that the odds of you having a hunters safety certificate from another state is quite unlikely.

Also there is usually a field day when you need to go to a range to shoot targets for most states. This is even after taking the paper course on line.

i bought a senior lifetime hunting license at 65 for 102.00 eleven years ago here in pa. deer-turkey-small game-varmite with trapping-bow and arrow and muzzle included. doe and bear tags are extra.

Leslie,
I also find the senior combo licenses to be the way to go.
However, I have never seen a varmite here in Texas, so they may be nocturnal like the ring tailed cat?
Can you supply a picture of a varmite?
Thanks

Being from South Africa, hunting is a pretty straightforward thing, almost like going out and getting the groceries.

However when i watch YouTube hunting videos, of which the majority is in the USA, they always talk about tags and being drawn for a moose etc.

This got me wondering how does hunting in the USA work?
Elton
In Texas most all of our hunting is over the counter tags. We have, like RSA, almost all private land so you can hunt wherever you have permission to hunt or can pay to hunt. Like RSA we have massive hunting opportunities all year round. We hunt most of the common African PG species as well as many Asian deer and antelope species and they live here in great abundance. Our conservation story is much like RSA with successful private breeders building great numbers of game.
Philip

We literally just go out to a game farm. Hunt what we want and then pay afterwards...

What it boils down to is who is managing the animals? In RSA it's the landowner, in the USA it's the state government. Now one can argue just how effective any given states wildlife department is doing with respect to that job, but without them doing that job and it being a "free for all", it would be disastrous for certain species I'm afraid.

America has fifty states, and each state has different wildlife populations, different human populations, different landscapes, and different laws and regulations. Some of us hunt in several different states each year, while other hunters just stay home and are content to hunt a dozen species within an hour of their home. It is all good.

From Tanks:

Needing a guide is required in wilderness areas only. Plenty of elk killed in areas without any wilderness. Or make a friend in WY and they can be your resident guide. They can't charge for the service. Success rates are usually 20-40%. The Wy game and fish website will show you the success rates for the last 3 yrs. That bit of info can be a help when applying and hunting here.
To the OP. In Wyoming you can still draw a Pronghorn tag and hunt DIY and be very successful. Most Wy pronghorn hunts have in excess of 75% success rates. While here you can hunt and shoot unlimited fox,coyote and prairie dogs. No licenses or permits needed.
Bruce

There was a time when I wanted to hunt a bighorn sheep, Rocky Mountain or Desert it didn't matter.
I would put in the draw for most of the states that offered one or both species. The states that come to mind are, Wyoming, Montana, Oregon, Washington, New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona.

I am an American citizen but can only be considered a resident of one particular state for big game tags. The regulations are different for a particular state resident compared to non-resident. This is predominately from a non-resident angle.

The spring ritual went like this.
Some states would require the purchase of a license to apply for a tag. I buy a hunting license for say $100+ and apply. State sends letter in fall saying thank you but you were unsuccessful and please try again next year. Keep in mind the license fee is non-refundable.

Several states send a letter saying thank you for applying and better luck next year. Your refund of the license fee is enclosed minus an application fee. Those states require you to pay for the tag up front and hold your money until after the draw. An example would be a prepay to Wyoming of $1500, New Mexico $3500, etc. Other species such as Mountain Goat and Shiras Moose require the same type of cash up front. I had (for me) a lot of money floating around just to have different states whittle away my hunting fund. Keep in mind these figures are just the cost of a license for the privilege to hunt said animal in one area, in one state for one season.

I am not a collector of species or in a quest for slams and such. I want to be able to enjoy myself in the field. I got to thinking how nice it would be to schedule my vacation time from work and have a good time without the license bullshit.

I had the price of a nice plains game hunt, including airfare tied up in hopes of being awarded a tag for all those years. If I get the opportunity to travel again for a hunt it will be somewhere in Africa.

No comparison convenience is lost to politics asshole outfitters and greed. The africa guys treat you like a king and love there job. Not to mention at least 10x more game there than here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg