Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
What do you guys think would be a good rifle to take to Greenland. I will be hunting muskoxen and caribou. I have the option to take a 375 Ruger with 250 gr. TTSX. The 300 Ruger with 165gr. Interbonds or gmx. Akao a Ruger no.1 with 180 gr. Accurbond. Muskoxen can weigh up to 800 lbs. But caribou could be at longer ranges.

What do you guys think would be a good rifle to take to Greenland. I will be hunting muskoxen and caribou. I have the option to take a 375 Ruger with 250 gr. TTSX. The 300 Ruger with 165gr. Interbonds or gmx. Akao a Ruger no.1 with 180 gr. Accurbond. Muskoxen can weigh up to 800 lbs. But caribou could be at longer ranges.
300 Ruger or 30-06. Neither are very far shots or too tough to kill.

Take the 375 Ruger! When are you going? Can't wait to read this report. Several years ago, I saw an episode of Bow Hunter TV where they were doing an archery hunt in Greenland. Bucket list!

Good stuff!! Thats a tough call, musk ox are big. If more guys chime in about being able to take one with a .300, then I would certainly take that caliber.

I've known a few people in Alaska who have taken them, most with a bow quite effectively. One friend with a 300 Win Mag as I recall. They're definitely smaller than moose which are usually taken with 30-06 and the like. Add caribou, which are often 200+ yards out and I'd say the 300 Ruger.

An outfitter I had several years ago had a full mount musk ox he took with a 7mm Rem mag using a 160gr Sierra SBT.
Sounds like it will be a great hunt. I look forward to your write up.

160 yards nosler partition, 30-06. September in Greenland

IMG_0010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My 300 RCM has a 3x9 Leupold scope with a CDL dial set for the Hornady 165 interbond at 3050 fps. It will also group the gmx and sst in the place. I was thinking using interbond on caribou and the gmx on muskok. It will also put the 180 nosler in the kill zone to 300 yards. Anybody have much experience with the interbond or gmx bullets.

My 300 RCM has a 3x9 Leupold scope with a CDL dial set for the Hornady 165 interbond at 3050 fps. It will also group the gmx and sst in the place. I was thinking using interbond on caribou and the gmx on muskok. It will also put the 180 nosler in the kill zone to 300 yards. Anybody have much experience with the interbond or gmx bullets.
I have used the gmx and don't care for them on African animals. For deer and what your looking at they will do but they are kind of fast at 165 gr. With muskox if you drift a little and hit the front shoulder you will probably just fragment or put a big hole in the hide. But with long hair, you can sew it up. I would honestly not worry about switching up bullets and just take one type of ammo about 180 gr which stays together. Each are not hard to kill and you can sneak up to them. Greenland doesn't have any wolves and the area I hunted had an occasional polar bear. So the animals, if you found them weren't terribly predator orientated.

I used 150 grain Interbonds out of my 30-06 in 2010 to drop a Dall sheep in it's tracks. It was a quartering away shot and I think the bullet hit a rear rib going in. It expanded rapidly and stopped on the inside of the shoulder. From reports of others bullets I'd compare it to the Nosler Accubond. The 165's ought to work OK, though I'd lean towards the 180's if the group well and use the same ammo for both animals. No experience with GMX, I'm a Barnes fan with monometal bullets. I used barnes 168 grain TTSX out of a 30-06 for my trips to Namibia with the largest animals being two kudu and a zebra, none went more than a few paces.

I have thought about the 375 Ruger. It has a 1.5x5 Leupold scope on it.Loaded with the Barnes 250 grain ttsx at a little over 2800 fps but a little unnecessary for caribou. I just got my Ruger No 1 in 30-06. I have some 180 gr. partitions and accubond bullets. It has a 2x 7 redfield scope. It may be the safest bet.

This is the Bowhunter TV show that I saw a few years ago. I think they have an enclosed boat now, not the open Zodiak type boat in the video.

Take the 375 Ruger! When are you going? Can't wait to read this report. Several years ago, I saw an episode of Bow Hunter TV where they were doing an archery hunt in Greenland. Bucket list!
I'm going the first part of September with JKO Safaris.

I once watched a friend of mine whack a musk ox with a 30-06 using 165 gr Speer Grand Slams, might have been a 50 yard shot and the musk ox didn't go very far. They are pretty thin skinned and in November when we hunted them they were very wooly but that didn't seem to bother the bullets very much. I used a 338 WM with 210 gr Swift Scirrocos and felt a bit over gunned. Like others have said the musk ox and caribou aren't that hard to get close to.

Ruger 1

Oh I can hardly wait to read and see pictures of this! I think any of those should work fine. Me I’d lean toward the lightest weight to carry and personally I like the old Nosler Partition in 180 gr out of a “plain Jane” 30-06.
Oh this gets me wanting a different kind of hunt like this!

You’re going to do great no matter which one you take! Just stick it in the right spot and don’t let the polar bears get you!:eek:

Well hope you have fun and get what your looking for. It may pay to get yourself on a workout program prior to going if it is a backpack hunt. We hiked and packed out muskox many miles each day and I was glad I did.

Yes I was told to do some hiking this summer. The elevation there is 900 ft. so it won't be bad on the lungs. I got some pretty good hills on my property here in Kansas and the elevation here is a like over 1000ft. Gives me an incentive to list weight.

300 WILL DO IT. I ve taken moose and mtn caribou with my 270. So the 300 will do. Of course the 375 is hard to beat.

The native hunters that accompanied us used a 243 Win and a 30-30 for musk ox. So I think you'll be ok with any one of your choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg