matt vejar

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hello all,
Can someone who has hunted the East Cape in September please tell me what hunting along the coast for blue duiker, cape grysbok, bushbuck would be like ( or inland if that’s where you hunted).What kind of weather and hunting conditions I might experience. I have hunted East Cape in June,July August, but never so late in season. Would like to know what I’m getting myself into?
Thanks
Matt

Here is what we have in our Welcome book about this :)

There will not be a huge difference between August and September. It will be a little warmer and the chances of precipitation increase a little bit. Down by the coast should be warmer than in the Karoo.

upload_2020-3-7_19-22-58.png

upload_2020-3-7_19-23-31.png

upload_2020-3-7_19-24-46.png

Hello all,
Can someone who has hunted the East Cape in September please tell me what hunting along the coast for blue duiker, cape grysbok, bushbuck would be like ( or inland if that’s where you hunted).What kind of weather and hunting conditions I might experience. I have hunted East Cape in June,July August, but never so late in season. Would like to know what I’m getting myself into?
Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt,
I always enjoy September, and for the following reason. This is the time where the shoots start to develop, which always draws a lot of animals out. This in turn, also often produces a short second rut. It seems that all cows and ewes that got missed during the main rut, go into a short, secondary season during September, as I've often found males sniffing around the females during this time. Temperatures are really comfortable. Thin sweater in the morning, that can be peeled off during mid morning will do it.

Take Care,
Marius

I was there in late August through early September in 2018, all over from Grahamstown to Capetown. Basically, in comparison to the US it's California in March. Chilly in the morning, warm in the afternoon, chilly to cold at night. Still fairly dry but maybe some rain.

Last edited:
I spent the last 2 weeks of September there in 2016, from the coastal area to the Karoo and into the highlands. We had frost and rain a couple days in the highlands but mostly cool in the morning and warm afternoons. The Karoo was hot and dry, temperature in mid 80's by afternoon. The coast was a little cooler and damp in the mornings. Not bad overall. I have to say that I quite enjoyed hunting the Eastern Cape in September.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!