Hunting "Deals" in Africa

I think Skyline's prices are pretty well spot on. He wants specific animals with an outfitter he trusts.

Plane flight from Canada to Joberg is reasonable at $5000.00 for two depending on time of the year.
Trophy fees are in line.
Pack/dip/air freight is low of anything.
Tip is reasonable
Other expenses are reasonable for a little sightseeing.
Insurance is in line.

Those cost are around $16,000 with no day rates, observer fees, or taxidermist. Remember he included his wife and not a discounted package for animals he did not want.

The only item that seemed high was the day rate/observer fee. However Kelly is getting on in years and may have priced a camp with a RN on staff.

Not to be sound too elitist or condescending if you cannot pee in the bush maybe you do not belong there.

Cliffy
my point exactly
the successful operators are going to be those that adapt
change their mode of accommodation

here is an example that hits home
My current SO is a pretty high dollar tax attorney
I may just be guessing but, in the field, if someone tells her to drop her Gloria Vanderbilt s and piss on a bush
she may not be on her way to becoming a repeat customer

SW, i am trying to figure out this one out, are you saying that the hunting vehicle should carry some kind of porta-loo for all women or just high end attorneys? :confusion2:;) my wife can be the biggest :dramaqueen: on the planet, and if you saw her when she is dressed up for a night out, or a ball you would never visualize her in the african bush, but take it from me she has no problem in climbing off the vehicle and pissing behind (not on) a bush/tree when she needs to. maybe get yours to practice in the garden ;). but i agree with mike , in that maybe people shouldnt head for the bush if you cant pee or more there. no point being very uncomfortable or :eek::eek:

My wife is prettty outdoorsy. On our first trip to Tanzania we finished our hunt on day eight and had two more days in camp before the charter picked us up. We went out both days and tracked game and took pictures. During the course of the hunt she would ride in the cab if the tetses were bad. She also gave candy and cigarettes to the guys on the truck so they all loved her.

We were headed back to the camp and natured called. So the driver stopped the truck and Katherine went behind a bush. Zayne (our PH) told the driver in Swahili to leave her. The poor driver did not know what to do. He was scared of not listening to Zayne but did not want to leave Katherine. He would accelerate then slam on the brakes, after a couple of time doing this we were laughing so hard at the poor fellow Zayne finally told him to wait.

I always think about that when it comes to women in the bush.

And yes it was much more funny if you were there, unless you were the poor driver.

Spiket

First, I never intended a porta - Loo

I am afraid I made my point poorly

With your indulgence I will try again....

The remark was certainly not intended to illustrate her issue with relieving herself in public or the wild be it in the parking lot at Antone's or splashing a rock in Colorado, shy or reserved she is not and when Nature calls.....stand clear!

My intention was, and let me be clear, the fairer sex is accustomed to being addressed in, perhaps, a manner more civil and gentile than us boys. The change I referred to is one of civility and consideration for and towards their particular needs. Make them feel welcome....included.... involved.

My experience is that women hate patronizing or condescension and that was what I was trying to point out

Mike,

I must defer to your experience and knowledge on the price estimates put forth by Skyline.

The numbers for the PG hunts I have planned for this year (2) and next (1) simply do not reflect that sum.

but, there are those in life that happily get down the road in a Ford pick-up and those that need a 'Benz

I believe that this summarizes my the point I was trying to make:

Not to be sound too elitist or condescending if you cannot pee in the bush maybe you do not belong there.[/QUOTE]

If this marketing plan is working for you I would just stick with it.

However, large discretionary purchases in times of economic distress usually require the agreement of the husband and wife.

Personally, I believe the quoted statement is one of the best ways to turn a $30,000 safari into a $60,000 expenditure because you are going to Africa and she is going to Europe (or wherever) with that other $30 grand

and my experience with women has taught me that this is how the world works!

One of the things we have done is talked several nervous women in to joining their husbands to Africa.

We spend quite of lot of time at both big shows. Katherine has always done a very good job of explaining what to expect from a woman's point of view as an observer and hunter. For most women it is much better to hear what it is like from another woman than a man.

A good outfitter can accommodate different situations,
Virginia Ruark even figured out how to color her hair on their three month safaris.

I have encouraged Katherine to post on the forums, but she has not. It is definitely a different point of view.

BTW I would not enjoy safari nearly as much without her.

My wife is prettty outdoorsy. On our first trip to Tanzania we finished our hunt on day eight and had two more days in camp before the charter picked us up. We went out both days and tracked game and took pictures. During the course of the hunt she would ride in the cab if the tetses were bad. She also gave candy and cigarettes to the guys on the truck so they all loved her.

We were headed back to the camp and natured called. So the driver stopped the truck and Katherine went behind a bush. Zayne (our PH) told the driver in Swahili to leave her. The poor driver did not know what to do. He was scared of not listening to Zayne but did not want to leave Katherine. He would accelerate then slam on the brakes, after a couple of time doing this we were laughing so hard at the poor fellow Zayne finally told him to wait.

I always think about that when it comes to women in the bush.

And yes it was much more funny if you were there, unless you were the poor driver.

now that is what i call brave , as i wouldnt have liked to be anywhere near the vehicle on your return if you had driven off even a bit :mad::rant::shiner:

Spiket

First, I never intended a porta - Loo

I am afraid I made my point poorly

With your indulgence I will try again....

The remark was certainly not intended to illustrate her issue with relieving herself in public or the wild be it in the parking lot at Antone's or splashing a rock in Colorado, shy or reserved she is not and when Nature calls.....stand clear!

My intention was, and let me be clear, the fairer sex is accustomed to being addressed in, perhaps, a manner more civil and gentile than us boys. The change I referred to is one of civility and consideration for and towards their particular needs. Make them feel welcome....included.... involved.

My experience is that women hate patronizing or condescension and that was what I was trying to point out

i very much agree with you on that. i was having a bit of humour while trying to work out what sort of toilet equipment would be required on the vehicle, if someone couldnt pee behind a tree, and it def sounds like you were selling your lady friend short :laughing:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross