Hunting dangerous game on a first safari?

Would/did you hunt dangerous game on your first safari?

• Yes

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
If you got the $$$$$ then do it!

Personally I would go and get trigger happy if going to Tanzania. That is the best overall deal for the money. So much of the cost hunting Tanzania is in every thing else other than the trophy fees, which are normally very reasonable in Tanzania... In fact you may never be able to shoot animals of the quality, and especially the quality of the experience, in another local for less. So by all means, best plan to take the trophies offered up during the opportunity.

I actually voted no, but only because even though I was a somewhat experienced hunter when I went on my first trip to Africa, I had never hunted with a larger gun than a 30-06 and had not hunted much in many years prior, having dedicated too much time to building my business. So I wanted to get more experience before hunting DG... But I did take an elephant and buffalo on my second trip 7 months later.

However if you are competent and confident, do it! But I would defer to the advice @Hank2211 gave on leopard. Why not just take 2 buffalo or add a croc or hippo for the second DG animal?

@BobT, I wouldn't discourage you from doing DG on your first hunt. While it's not the more commong path, plenty of people have done it, so why not?

But @ActionBob makes a good point here. A huge amount of the cost of a Tanzanian hunt is contained in fixed costs set by the gov't. You'll be paying signficant amounts, more so than other countries, to just head out into the bush with rifle in hand. Regardless of whether or not you take any animals.

So I would encourage you to be thorough in your research of the area in Tanzania that is being proposed for your safari. Over the last couple of years I've read more and more bad safari reports coming out of Tanzania. By bad I mean some of these reports include seeing virtually no game. There are however still those areas that are producing as one would expect out of Tanzania. So not discouraging you from going there in the least, just be certain of what you're buying.

I always get excited when hunting, however hunting animals that can kill you tends to focus the mind and drive adrenaline to the max. I am now a dangerous game junkie.

Unless you're a brand new hunter that hasn't made a kill, I can't see any rationale behind "not" hunting DG on a first safari. There has to be a "first time" for everything! Absolutely go for it.

I did a DG safari while a new hunter that hadn't made a kill, although I racked up a few before I actually started hunting the buffalo. The first kill doesn't have to be a top end animal and it will still mean a lot.

Go for it and never look back!

The first animal I shot on my first safari to Africa was a lion. It was an amazing, incomparable experience. However, I didn't feel like it diminished the PG I hunted for the rest of the safari. I find that each animal, each stalk, etc is unique and special. I wouldn't change anything about how my kudu or waterbuck hunts went.

Depending on the DG you're planning on hunting, the stalking will be unique to each. For my lion, we were pursuing him on foot and he knew we were there the whole time. Not a lot of need for stealth. The PG on the other hand, were all about sneaking up on them, outmaneuvering them, etc.

Best of luck

Some good points here especially about hunting now and not waiting for something to be banned. It depends in your age and financial situation. I could not imagine a DG hunt for my first safari. First of all I was 25 and just had enough money for a 6-7 animal SA package hunt. So that is my perspective and we all have that first safari stuck in our minds. I wanted to go on safari many times so there was no rush for me to get to DG. Now with the antis causing trouble hunters need to go now and hunt their dream hunts. If it's your first safari and you are in the older age class by all means go for DG and enjoy.
Regardless of what you do that first safari will always be special and as soon as you board the plane for the trip home you will certainly be planning your next safari!
Regards,
Philip

IF .....I had it to do over again I would have hunted buffalo on my first trip over.....

Instead I did the whackem and stackem 8 animals in 8 day thing...... It was big fun but I had no idea I would be going over so many times...... I knew I'd be back for buffalo.

On each trip since I have hunted buffalo, I have hunted elephant, hippo and leopard as well. Also each trip I picked up some additional plains game when exceptional specimens where found. Several are much better duplicates of the animals killed on the whackem and stackem trip.....

I now advise friends that it is much better to go on a Buff, or leopard or whatever hunt and pick up plains game as targets of opportunity......you can be more selective that way and not feel under pressure to fill a list.

Another huge item, to me at least is that you can kill an animal where they belong.........Gemsbok and Nyala in the East Cape, well to me just ain't right...... I did it but now I know more.

That's just my thoughts on the issue.

Yeah I booked a lioness hunt and then started making my target list of plains game as add ons. And it kept changing and then when I got there it changed again. I think the way to go is book a DG package and have a couple plains game in mind and kind of take what Africa gives you.

If I could have done a leopard on my first trip I would have. And if paying the government fees in Tanzania, I think the trophy fee for buff and leopard isn't too bad in comparison. Plus I want to read the report of a buff/leopard hunt!!!

I just returned from my first trip and dg is the only reason I got interested in Africa in the first place
I took a lioness and a buffalo
My only regret is not going sooner so I could have brought my lioness back to the states

I hunted buffalo and plains game in Zim on my first trip. Go hunt dangerous game and don't look back!

Don't let anyone take the wind out of your sail. If you are in for a hunt of your lifetime, book more days to try and accomplish the buff/leopard task at hand. This way you will not regret it.

A buffalo is just another animal with Big5 or Dangerous Game attached to it VS. Plainsgame. Make no mistake, you'll hunt your ass off, but isn't that what you want?

I've done both open plains buff and concession buff, each was a hunt of their own, both were successful.

Enjoy yourself.

Go for it!!!!!! My first animal on African soil was a male lion, my second was Cape Buffalo. I'm soooo glad I did it that way. Only advice is research everything from outfitters down to the bullets your using and the socks on your feet. Then practice until you think your ready then multiply that times 100 and you'll do fine.

Ah. At DSC. Gotchya.

What would you do or did you do and why?

Well, my view is; if you are going to hunt PG first, and then DG "sometime in the future", going to Africa twice, then the cheaper way is to do it all at once, and in this way save the money for flights, and possibly for shipping the trophies later, optimizing the space in crates.

Only saving for one return flight, can afford for at least one additional head of game.

Good hunting!

Hunting in Africa only once? Isn't that like just eating one Lay's potato chip?

Thanks for all the responses! To fill in a couple of blanks, I'm 57 years old and have hunted since childhood, I have taken literally dozens of whitetails and have had successful self-guided trips for elk, pronghorn and mule deer so I have some experience. I have dreamed of a dangerous game safari pretty much since I learned to read and have been saving for many years to make it happen. I really appreciate all the information I've picked up on AH you all have me chomping at the bit. Please keep the input coming!

Most of all, make sure that you join us at the AH dinner.(y)

I wouldn't miss it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross