Hunting concessions in Mozambique

Daniel, I think that you start wrong. First of all you must indicate that you is open minded for a cooperation with the community, you can also visit the local chief and he can open up the doors for you. You MUST contribute to the people in the area, Everything from building schools and medical clinics to football fields and road development, anti poaching, helping the locals to start business like corn or cotton farming, everything must be contracted between the chief and your safari company, it's like Simon say it will take time and money !

Then you maybe have a chance, but forgot about to simply take over a concession and think that you can selling hunting and bring in a profit... it's much more complicated than that, I must say I'm a bit surprised because you are South African and don't know this ?

Also, you should indicate that you have economical possibly to do all this, show them a bank account draft of 2-3 million dollars and they understand that you are seriously interested and mean business !

Last edited:
Correction...Zimbabwean. Gordon, that is part of what I was saying..deep pockets, all of these things add up very quickly. We sponsor 3 different soccer teams....
IMG-20140726-WA007.jpg
IMG-20140726-WA001.jpg

Daniel, every time I am in Maputo, I see new people wanting to acquire hunting concessions in Mozambique, painted with dreams of honey and milk. I don't think there is a harder country to operate. Be prepared to have very deep pockets and a world of patience. Feel free to contact me.

100 % correct. There is no such thing as quickly getting a concession. The road is paved with opportunists trying to scam you of your hard earned cash. Doing it right takes money and LOTS of time. The process , especially in the non coutada areas , is a lengthy bureaucratic one that will test your patience to the ultimate. A famous Mozambican quote " you have the watch , but I have the time " will become clear to you. Hundreds of bright eyed and bushy tailed outfitters and farmers have been taken for the ride in Maputo thinking " their contact " will get them this wonderful area. Be careful of " contacts " . The scam artists know how to get money from a land hungry foreigner. Do it right and through the right channels , keep proof of every step of the process , every piece of paperwork , keep minutes of every meeting and have everyone in that meeting sign it. Community involvement is all important. Don't promise what you cannot deliver.

Good Luck.

Gordon Kruger....... Yes sir, i do know all these things. I never for a second assumed it was going to be easy. I am Zimbabwean and as such i have the experience in dealing with these people, and know that it does take a lot of time and patience. However my first message was intended for the purpose of trying to find the right channels and the right people to speak to. As you must have seen in my original post my visit to the tourism department began with much enthusiasm on the part of the tourism officers but eventually to no avail.

Thank you for your advice though. I have been in Mozambique for 7 years and in my experience, talking directly to the chiefs and villagers will only make the process longer.

I have Spoken to Some Fauna e Bravia gentlemen this morning(Wildlife management for Mozambique) and the director of agriculture for my area. They gave me some potentially good news. If we decide to go ahead, explore the area and possibly start the process of acquiring the area. Then they will introduce us to all the chiefs and representatives of the villages in and around the area. From their we will discuss as to what we can do in terms of sponsorships and donations.

I don't think it would be a good idea to show them any sort of a bank draft. That just might give them ideas. I do believe however that my current agricultural investments and status in this area will, though not related to the safari industry inspire them to take me seriously.

Wish you best of luck there, but I guess that you also have to prof the seriously when and if you apply for a investment license, then the bank draft will be required even if you like it or not my friend. And do not underestimate the chiefs influence, with out them its very hard...

Daniel, every time I am in Maputo, I see new people wanting to acquire hunting concessions in Mozambique, painted with dreams of honey and milk. I don't think there is a harder country to operate. Be prepared to have very deep pockets and a world of patience. Feel free to contact me.

What he said!!

Problem is that DEEP pockets get SHALLOW VERY QUICKLY!!. And this is BEFORE any transactions with Moz govt!!

I think Mozambique is one of the most corrupt states in Africa.
An sad example from this summer,where friends of mine was hunting.

Security area at the airport in Moz.:
a pdc came to them and said " give me money, otherwise you can't get out of this land..................
After discussions they kicked him away.
a half hour later,an other one: " give me money or your guns must stay in Moz.".........
In a security area of the Airport !!!!!!!!!!
How can this guy come in ???
No problem ,when you divide the money with the officials........

Daniel, Im sure you have good nerves.
Welcome to AH,the best Forum you can get and this for free ;);)
Greetings from Munic
Foxi

Last edited:
Hi all.

I am a Zimbabwean citizen, farming in Mozambique. I will be completing my Zimbabwe professional hunters licence within the next two years.

Recently Some friends of mine from south africa have gave me the task of finding them a hunting concession in Mozambique. So far it seems like a monumental task, especially as i don't have all the "contacts".

I have spoken personally to some people at the tourism department who seemed very keen to help and told me about some great potential areas. We chatted for a while, exchanged numbers and email address's.

Next day i sent them an email titled "detailed information required". In this email i asked about these areas they mentioned..... it went like this.

Dear Gentlemen.

Thank you for our conversation in connection with the acquiring of a hunting concession on tuesday 2nd july.

As per our conversation you mentioned that their were three possible areas that will potentially be available. Namely Mwiriti, Namoto/Niassa and Balama. Please may you update or correct this statement if necessary.

In order to communicate acceptable information to my investors please may you provide me the following.

1. Boundary coordinates for these areas.
2. Land area size in acres, hectares or Square kilometers.
3. Previous and current species quota for each area respectively.
4. If the areas are currently occupied by other safari operators, villages or communities.
5. Any infrastructure in terms of immovable assets that have already been established within theses areas and whom they belong to.
6. Also very important. In the same context as was explained to me, if you may write a detailed description of each area. N.B.... Types of vegetation and terrain. Available water, rivers or pans. Population density in terms of villages and mashambas if any. Species of animals in each area and possibly descriptions, population density, and trophy quality of the dangerous species i.e... Elephant, Buffalo, Lion, leopard and hippo.
7. Any issues with poaching and poachers that have or are still currently affecting these ares.

As soon as you have provided me with as much of this information as possible, then i will be in the best position to make a presentation to my investors.

I eagerly await your reply.

Kind regards
Daniel.

This all seems like a reasonable request. i got a reply.......

Thanks for E-mail. And I am going to meet with Mr. Naungi and Abdala, to discuss about it, and then a will contact you.

Mariano Matias.

I waited a week then gave them a call. The first response was.... no i haven't any information, i'm out of the office right now. I will speak to the other guy and call you back later...... Didn't call back, so i called again...... The guy said, i have sent an email.... well i haven't received any emails from you, then he said. Let me check, maybe it failed. That was about another week ago. I've tried and tried to call them back. But this time they're not answering their phones. WHAT AN UNRELIABLE DOG SHOW!

So then i sent an email to the Chairman of AMOS Mozambican safaris operators..... haven't had a reply.
I have sent emails to MITUR ministry of tourism and had no replies. Is it just me or am i dealing with some very unreliable and lazy individuals. In this case i think i would have to pay up a sum of pocket money to get things going, which is the usual case in these parts.

Please if their is any one at all that might be able to lead me in the right direction to getting a hunting concession in Mozambique, i will be so very happy!!

Thanks for taking your time to read through this, and perhaps if you can send me some advise.

Daniel.
Hi Daniel, Im was going through this and wonder what was the outcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross