Hunting Collared Peccary in Argentina...!!!

ROCKET

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
mghunting.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay, South Africa
This wild pigs are natives of America and we can find them from the United States of America to the center os Argentina.
They are small pigs with an average weight of 25 Kilos.....also are very aggressive and tend to walk in large herds.

I like to hunt them in closed and tight scrubs where you see no more than five meters using a shootgun with heavy 000 bucks shells and we can say that their meat is superb.....!!!!!

There are two more especies of this family......the white lipped peccary which are larger and no collar, just their jaw is white and the biggest one and very rare.....the Tagua or Quimilero Peccary being very similar shape than the collared but much bigger and some certain morphological differences.

Some collared peccarys photos to share..........

In the North Provinces..........

para CD 005.jpg

varias 015.jpg

A couple from Cordoba Province.....

varias 055.jpg

Good ones for the book.....note the upper tusks pointing downward at difference with the boars......

Moros 004.jpg

Well friends.....it is a pleasure to be sharing with you......!!!!!!

Then you will love hunting the Warthog in Namibia --- see the BIG one that Juan Crespi of Cordoba hunted on ONGARIWANDA.

DSC03450.JPG

Johnnie and Jenny......I come back from South Africa tree month a go and I had a very good experiencie with Mynhard Heroldt in Northern Cape.
Unfortunately I can´t travel every year but certainly my next time will be with you.

A couple of friends of mine have hunted with you in the nineties as Raul Sosa, and one of my beast friends the taxidermist RobertoDebono.

I even met to Mr Johann Van Rensburg twenty years a go when he comes for the outdoors, gun and hunting exhibition in my country and Mr Norverto Villa was his Boocking Agent in Argentina in those days.
I was talking with Mr Johann during 30 minutes that day.

I know very well what kind of trophys you have there and how you run your place even I recomend you couple days a go in hunting reports forum right here in the site.
The Mr Crespi warthog is just a monster.......I can dream with one of those.

I am full hunting guide and I work for a hunting operation here since ten years a go bringing lot of hunters to Argentina, ussualy hunters from the States and my boss is the booking agent of Mr Heroldt in SA as well......!!!!!

This really was a very nice surprise to have the chance to be in touch with you......!!!!!

My beast and thank you very much.....!!!!

Those Peccary skulls (fangs) look like they could give a Leopard a run for the money.

Those Peccary skulls (fangs) look like they could give a Leopard a run for the money.

There is evidence of large Jaguars killed by large herds of peccaries.......Jaguars found shattered and some dead peccaries around show what happened......!!!!!

We have a saying here.........if you get in the midle of a large herd of peccaries in the tie scrub.......climbs a good tree and NEVER FALL DOWN......!!!!!

There are herds with 200 white lipped Peccaries up north in a Argentina, Bolivia and Paraguay borders......Brazil has millions....!!!!!

Thank you Brickburn for your comment......!!!!!!

Love Javelinas! Stay away from those scent glands though! :)

Love Javelinas! Stay away from those scent glands though! :)

Nothing like the smell of musk thats leaves a large herd of Javelinas in the scrub after passing when they go really scared......!!!!!

Thanks Royal27.......!!!!!

Ain't it the truth!!!! I haven't smelled one in years, but you don't forget it easily!

Ain't it the truth!!!! I haven't smelled one in years, but you don't forget it easily!

Yes Royal.......you can bet......that smell can stay forever in your nose and never forget it.......!!!!!!

See you.....!!!!!!

Given that nature, I can see why you would be using large buck shot to hunt them.

What an awesome trophy in the skull!

Both are very good trophies hunted by myself....gold medal in my country.....top five waiting for......!!!!!

Thank you very much Jerome.....!!!!!

Given that nature, I can see why you would be using large buck shot to hunt them.

Thats the sheel I prefer to hunt them in a tight places, I used to get some 50 grams Remintong´s 000 buck here but I don´t get them any more so I switch to regular sheel´s number one shot and works good also.

Thanks for the interest Brickburn......!!!!!!

These awards belong to those two trophies.........

img024.jpg

img026.jpg

This is not personal pride but as a way to honor so very good prey....!!!!

Thanks for letting me share it here with you.....!!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations ROCKET! Here is a Jaguar thread with graphic content which may be of interest to you: http://www.africahunting.com/threads/when-jaguars-attack.837/.

Impressive.......but you said it first......"GRUESOME".......bigs cats have tremendous power.....Tigers, Lions, Jaguars......and of course kill people and many cattle up North here......I have seen some of them.......I will try to make another thread soon about small cats and Jaguar.....!!!!!

Thanks Jerome for your interest in the subject......!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rocket, thanks for your post. The world is SMALL. Tegnology is GREAT -- bringing people together again.
Enjoy your hunting - a privilage to work out in Nature.
We stay in contact.

Rocket, are there Collared Peccary in the Mendoza area?

Rocket, are there Collared Peccary in the Mendoza area?

Adgunner, is not the beast province for peccary, but yes, there are some in some parts of Mendoza.......is the southest limit for them......!!!!

Thanks Rocket, just starting to look at putting a short hunting trip together while i am in Mendoza this coming November! Once again, congrats on those trophies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg