AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
OFAH
Hunted
Canada
I live in Ontario, Canada and currently i wear redhead. I have come to find, as we slowly increase the intensity level of our hunts, this will no longer suffice. Recently, my dad has purchased Kuiu and raves about it. I got my Cabelas catalog today as was flipping threw when i noticed Sitka. I have done some previous research on this company and found out that they are the predecessors to Kuiu. Having the same owner and all, i figured it must be good, but the price is very steep for someone of my age (16).Sitka is a very famous mountain hunting gear company and looks quite durable and they have a waterproof line, basically what it is called. Cabelas has come out with this new instinct line that is also waterproof relatively reasonable for price and looks quite good. Being made with the famous Gore-Tex, its obviously waterproof, but does it hold up against the harsh Canadian climate? Unlike the Sitka but similar to the Kuiu, this line of Cabelas works off of a layering system, which means less bulk due to the fact that the layers don't need to accommodate for a full system in one coat. I would gladly take any input, advise and suggestions for these brands or any other brands that you guys suggest.

GoreTex is great stuff! I live in the Adirondacks of northern NY (No, White Plains is not "upstate"). Although our winters probably don't average as cold as some Canadian winters (northern Quebec and Ontario come to mind) we do get some OBSCENELY cold weather. Not so much last winter, but the winter before, our February averaged about 12 degrees during the day and -10 to -5 during the night. One day it never got above -15. My father was a Forest Ranger all his life and, as there are only a little over 100 of them in the state, NYS DEC didn't mind getting them the best of the best because unlike police and Evironmental Conservation Officers, they spent most of their time NOT in heated vehicles. He was invariably issued either pure wool or GoreTex clothing of some description or another. Its warm and waterproof while still quite breathable. Wool is fantastic as it retains 80% of its insulating value even when soaking wet. Layer a heavy wool coat for winter with a light water resistant layer over it. WEAR A SCARF... seriously.. its amazing how much longer you stay warm with a good scarf tucked into your neck and jacket.

Also, I do not ever wear Camo... I have never had a problem using wind and environment to my advantage and have never had a problem getting wary animals to come in close. No it isn't because of bait. Baiting is illegal for any hunting in NYS with the exception of pests (even though sporting goods stores are allowed to sell bait, you just can't use it.) I actually prefer it that way, because it means you need to actually be SKILLED at hunting deer to meet them on their own terms. I am not saying I am the great white hunter... but I aspire to be, and I love testing my skills against the animals senses. I have to say that after years of hunting deer and bear, I have not had trouble filling my tags. No Camo, No Bait, No Treestand, no problem. I don't get an animal every year... but its not because they spot my clothing color. If it isn't required I would also wear as little blaze orange as possible... because, while deer have a hard time spotting color, CONTRAST stands out like an albino pig in a mudhole.

My advice from my going on 2 decades of hunting experience, don't get caught up in the latest camo prints or the newest hunting doo-dad... Just put on colors that won't get you shot by some idiot who shouldn't have a rifle or a hunting license to begin with, and learn all you can about the animal and their habitat. I promise you, I wear a bright red wool coat and green wool pants and a green, beaver felt fedora (I look like Father Christmas minus the beard). I have never had a deer or bear spot me because of my clothes. Camoflague is 99% not moving. I don't care if your wearing the most fantastic, virtual reality, ecologically inspired, $500 camo... If you move, the animal will spot you. Camo just makes your clothes more expensive.

As with most of life's recommendations ... buy the best you can afford ... even if it is only one new piece a year. The layering concept is an absolute must ... but I prefer my own layers to a "system" ... mostly bought in the off-season on the DEEPLY discounted sale rack. I don't think I own a piece of hunting clothing that I have paid more than 50 cents on the dollar (and that is real 50 cents on the dollar ... not like when my wife tells me that she go something that was 50% off after they marked it up 200%). If you really like Kuiu ... ask good ole' dad for an outer coat for Christmas this year

I have some of both Kuiu and Sitka. They are far better than any of their competitors. They are worth the expense for sure.
I really like the Kuiu shorts. The Sitka parka is the best I've seen. They both have great packs etc.
Regards,
Philip

I have some of both Kuiu and Sitka. They are far better than any of their competitors. They are worth the expense for sure.
I really like the Kuiu shorts. The Sitka parka is the best I've seen. They both have great packs etc.
Regards,
Philip
Thanks a lot. I will definitely pay more attention to them

GoreTex is great stuff! I live in the Adirondacks of northern NY (No, White Plains is not "upstate"). Although our winters probably don't average as cold as some Canadian winters (northern Quebec and Ontario come to mind) we do get some OBSCENELY cold weather. Not so much last winter, but the winter before, our February averaged about 12 degrees during the day and -10 to -5 during the night. One day it never got above -15. My father was a Forest Ranger all his life and, as there are only a little over 100 of them in the state, NYS DEC didn't mind getting them the best of the best because unlike police and Evironmental Conservation Officers, they spent most of their time NOT in heated vehicles. He was invariably issued either pure wool or GoreTex clothing of some description or another. Its warm and waterproof while still quite breathable. Wool is fantastic as it retains 80% of its insulating value even when soaking wet. Layer a heavy wool coat for winter with a light water resistant layer over it. WEAR A SCARF... seriously.. its amazing how much longer you stay warm with a good scarf tucked into your neck and jacket.

Also, I do not ever wear Camo... I have never had a problem using wind and environment to my advantage and have never had a problem getting wary animals to come in close. No it isn't because of bait. Baiting is illegal for any hunting in NYS with the exception of pests (even though sporting goods stores are allowed to sell bait, you just can't use it.) I actually prefer it that way, because it means you need to actually be SKILLED at hunting deer to meet them on their own terms. I am not saying I am the great white hunter... but I aspire to be, and I love testing my skills against the animals senses. I have to say that after years of hunting deer and bear, I have not had trouble filling my tags. No Camo, No Bait, No Treestand, no problem. I don't get an animal every year... but its not because they spot my clothing color. If it isn't required I would also wear as little blaze orange as possible... because, while deer have a hard time spotting color, CONTRAST stands out like an albino pig in a mudhole.

My advice from my going on 2 decades of hunting experience, don't get caught up in the latest camo prints or the newest hunting doo-dad... Just put on colors that won't get you shot by some idiot who shouldn't have a rifle or a hunting license to begin with, and learn all you can about the animal and their habitat. I promise you, I wear a bright red wool coat and green wool pants and a green, beaver felt fedora (I look like Father Christmas minus the beard). I have never had a deer or bear spot me because of my clothes. Camoflague is 99% not moving. I don't care if your wearing the most fantastic, virtual reality, ecologically inspired, $500 camo... If you move, the animal will spot you. Camo just makes your clothes more expensive.
I bow hunt so wouldn't the movement of solids be bad?

I bow hunt so wouldn't the movement of solids be bad?
I also bow hunt with a traditional recurve. (Shots are almost all inside 25 yards). The issue isn't what you're wearing. It's where you place yourself. I typically try to find a spot at the base of a big tree with some brush around the base to break up my outline, upwind of a known deer trail, near an area of denser cover on the trail but with opening to shoot through. I clear out enough of the thin stuff as a shooting lane without making it look totally unatural.. I also try to do all of this at least a month in advance so the animals get used to it.

Camo has a place, but I don't even remotely believe it is necessary for a successful hunt. Look at what Jeff Cooper or Elmer Keith wore while they were hunting. Or for that matter, any of the great hunters of the 1880-1940 period. I can invariably tell you that majority wore nothing but solids that had little contrast to the vegetation of their hunting area. They had no lack of game meat on their tables and trophies in their dens. I can only see camo as useful if you are hunting somewhere with no natural cover and a lot of exposure. Camouflage is 99% not moving, or moving as little as possible with adequate placement so those little moves won't be noticed. Expensive camo won't buy you game animals. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I also bow hunt with a traditional recurve. (Shots are almost all inside 25 yards). The issue isn't what you're wearing. It's where you place yourself. I typically try to find a spot at the bad of a big tree with some brush around the base to break up my outline, upwind of a known deer trail, near an area of denser cover on the trail but with opening to shoot through. I clear out enough of the thin stuff as a shooting lane without making it look totally unatural.. I also try to do all of this at least a month in advance so the animals get used to it.

Camp has a place, but I don't even remotely believe it is necessary for a successful hunt. Look at what Jeff Cooper or Elmer Keith wore while they were hunting. Or for that matter, any of the great hunters of the 1880-1940 period. I can invariably tell you that majority wore nothing but solids that had little contrast to the vegetation of their hunting area. They had no lack of game meat on their tables and trophies in their dens. I can only see camo as useful if you are hunting somewhere with no natural cover and a lot of exposure. Camouflage is 99% not moving, or moving as little as possible with adequate placement so those little moves won't be noticed. Expensive camo won't buy you game animals. Hope this helps!
This really helps. Thanks very much

For what it is worth. I use Cabelas and Bass Pro(Redhead) camo and do just fine and have for many years.
I did well before I could afford to by camo.
Watch TV and see all the hunters in camo and the guides in blue jeans and regular shirts. And the guide is in front where the animal will spot him/her first :)
Go and hunt Africa---Hunter in camo. PH in regular clothes. Trackers in coveralls which just may be BLUE. :)

I am not saying that camo does not help. However I think much of it is designed for people, their wallet and not so much for the game animals. Much like fishing lures.
Then there is wearing camo and putting a orange coat/vest over it as required in many places.

I do like camo and the gray patterns seem to work best out west here for us. I suggest you do not get too worried about it or getting high dollar stuff right now. Buy what you can and be sure to spend most of your money on quality bow/arrows/broad heads/tree stands/ground blinds or quality rifles/ammo/sling

Also do not forget about cases for whatever you have and MOST IMPORTANTLY GOOD OPTICS. That means expensive($1000 or more) binos because they will last your whole life. Before I spent $1000 on some Zeiss binos I must have bought and used 10 pair of cheaper ones and total spent that much for them all. I should have just bought the Zeiss years ago or even something better. Get a Leupold for your rifles and be done with it. Forget all the fancy dials and reticles. A simple Duplex sighted in 2.75" high at 100 yards will take almost any animal you want even at long range.

One thing I know here in California is that Cabelas camo works. Hunted all last year and the deer and I never saw each other :)

For what it is worth. I use Cabelas and Bass Pro(Redhead) camo and do just fine and have for many years.
I did well before I could afford to by camo.
Watch TV and see all the hunters in camo and the guides in blue jeans and regular shirts. And the guide is in front where the animal will spot him/her first :)
Go and hunt Africa---Hunter in camo. PH in regular clothes. Trackers in coveralls which just may be BLUE. :)

I am not saying that camo does not help. However I think much of it is designed for people, their wallet and not so much for the game animals. Much like fishing lures.
Then there is wearing camo and putting a orange coat/vest over it as required in many places.

I do like camo and the gray patterns seem to work best out west here for us. I suggest you do not get too worried about it or getting high dollar stuff right now. Buy what you can and be sure to spend most of your money on quality bow/arrows/broad heads/tree stands/ground blinds or quality rifles/ammo/sling

Also do not forget about cases for whatever you have and MOST IMPORTANTLY GOOD OPTICS. That means expensive($1000 or more) binos because they will last your whole life. Before I spent $1000 on some Zeiss binos I must have bought and used 10 pair of cheaper ones and total spent that much for them all. I should have just bought the Zeiss years ago or even something better. Get a Leupold for your rifles and be done with it. Forget all the fancy dials and reticles. A simple Duplex sighted in 2.75" high at 100 yards will take almost any animal you want even at long range.

One thing I know here in California is that Cabelas camo works. Hunted all last year and the deer and I never saw each other :)
That last part made my day. Thanks for the advice

I concur with everyone else here, camouflage can only help so much.

I definitely prefer layering rather than one heavy coat.

Of note, while I find gortex to be great at water and wind proofing and body heat retention, it is super noisy any time you move.

I believe cabelas, among others, has waterproof gear that is also really quiet.

Personally, I like kryptek. However, I've mostly hunted warmer areas and only own their lighter layers, so I can't speak for their heavy cold weather layers.

I have friends in New Zealand that swear by Kuiu, which is made in California; but for hunting in most of the US we are required to wear a minimum of 400 square inches of hunter orange. I contacted Kuiu and they have no plans to add that color to their camo pattern and it doesn't make much sense to spring for the cost of their lightweight stuff then cover it with an orange vest.

On my recent Yukon hunt I had some Sitka Gear pants and jacket and they were great. I also had a pair of KUIU Attack pants and they are comfortable, very abrasion recentent and functional. As you mentioned, both Sitka and KUIU are a bit pricey. I also worn a pair of 5.11 Apex pants ( http://www.511tactical.com/apex-pant.html ) which I found to be similar to the KUIU attack pants and costs about half as much. I've worn 5.11 cotton pants and shorts for several years and always be impressed with the quality.

I have friends in New Zealand that swear by Kuiu, which is made in California; but for hunting in most of the US we are required to wear a minimum of 400 square inches of hunter orange. I contacted Kuiu and they have no plans to add that color to their camo pattern and it doesn't make much sense to spring for the cost of their lightweight stuff then cover it with an orange vest.
thats the same here in Ontario unless you are bow hunting, which you only need orange during the gun season and only when moving to the stand or blind

On my recent Yukon hunt I had some Sitka Gear pants and jacket and they were great. I also had a pair of KUIU Attack pants and they are comfortable, very abrasion recentent and functional. As you mentioned, both Sitka and KUIU are a bit pricey. I also worn a pair of 5.11 Apex pants ( http://www.511tactical.com/apex-pant.html ) which I found to be similar to the KUIU attack pants and costs about half as much. I've worn 5.11 cotton pants and shorts for several years and always be impressed with the quality.
had no idea, I will definitely check them out. how did the hunt go?

Ray B: KUIU is based in California, but their stuff is made in China. Just like Cabelas and just about everyone else.

375 Ruger Fan- Guess that's why they were reluctant to something as simple as adding some orange to their camo pattern. Thanks for the info.

I am the guy that wears Carhartt, Helly Hanson and occasionally Northface or REI. I hunt with guys that wear Kuiu and Sitka. Their gear is awesome in every way including the really big price tags. I personally think that if you are realistic about the type of hunting and conditions you are in, there are some great combinations of clothing that will work well and you won't have to spend the money amount equivalent of a custom rifle.

I have camo by multiple makers. And to be frank as others have mentioned it really servers little purpose in Africa. Buy what you can afford and like. If you bow hunt from hang on tree stands then it is verify helpful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg