Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Chamois Hunting Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to hunting shot placement.

Hunting Chamois
chamois-vitals-hunting.jpg

Anyone has the right to share, copy, distribute and transmit this image/work (but not to adapt it, or use it for commercial use).

Hunting Chamois
chamois-hunting-vitals.jpg

Anyone has the right to share, copy, distribute and transmit this image/work (but not to adapt it, or use it for commercial use).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerome, these shot placement guides you post are invaluable.
Thank-you, and great atonomy pics too.

I have found the Chamois to be a very "soft" game animal.

All of my experience in hunting them has been on the Sth Island of N.Z, more often than not on a combination Tahr hunt and usually on the precipitouis West Coast Region.

Most of the locals I hunted with prefered the .222 with soft 50 or 55gn bullets delivered to the lung area behind the shoulder. This usually resulted in an instant put down with the animal not travelling very far if anywhere at all (in steep country a few meters travelled may result in several thousand foot drop).

The .243 with a soft 80 or 85gn bullet is probably somewhere close to ideal.

watermark.php

I shot my Chamois with 270, 30/06 and 7mm with bullets far too hard (loaded for Tahr) which would result in the Chamois buck travelling some distance before going down.
Fortunately I never lost one but a couple were "tenderised" after severe falls !

Chamois provide an exciting hunt in some picturesque, and challenging, terrain which results in a very handsome and unique trophy animal, gorgeous in their prime winter pelts.

Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic game animal!
Shot most of mine with 100grn Norma's from a 243 and would also consider it "almost ideal". One step up would be something like the 6.5x57 with the chance of shots across windy gully's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg