Hunting cape buffalo in the Pafuri area Mozambique

mbabala

Reaction score
Media
Member of
NATURE CONSERVANCY
Have anyone hunted for Cape Buffalo in this area called Pafuri next to the Kruger National Park ?? I came across a hunt for buffalo in this area called Pafuri they say in Mozambique but it looks more like its in S Africa . They say that are no fences and buffalo crosses at will from Kruger National Park and that some nice trophies were shot there .Does anybody know anything about this area ???Anybody hunted buffalo in this area ???

Got a map of the proposed hunting area?

No i am sorry dont have a map of that area

Seems to be at the far north end of kruger national park

There are all kinds of localities named Pafuri.
Camps border crossings, etc. in RSA.

"Bordering Kruger" what does that mean?

Who is the Outfitter making this offer?

Way to little information for my comfort level.

The offer was made by Fauna Africa Safaris.

I would contact Take Aim Safaris, I think they own this concession.(If not he will be able to give you information regarding).

CROOKS CORNER AREA

This area starts where the three countries meet (South Africa / Zimbabwe / Mozambique) on the Limpopo River. The area borders the Limpopo Transfrontier Park. There are very good Elephant / Buffalo / Lion / Leopard / Hippo and Crocodile. The Elephants come out of Kruger National Park on the Limpopo River into our area. These Elephants / Buffalo and Lion have the Kruger / Gonarezhou National Parks gene pool which are well known for big Ivory / Buffalo and Lion. We have about 60 Kilometres of the Limpopo River which has very good Hippo and Crocodile.

I have hunted this area as well as the 3 Sengwe areas in Zim, bordering the Limpopo and Kruger.

The time of year needs to be taken into consideration depending on what species you are after. Caution should be taken when hunting close to the border as a wounded Buff or Elephant could easily cross over back to the Kruger or Zim, making follow up impossible.

In Sengwe I remembering following the largest elephant track ever(22 inches), when we finally caught up to the bull he was in the river crossing back to Kruger. Closest I ever got to shooting a hundred pounder. The elephant cross over to eat the Cross Berries that are in full seed at this time.

We did shoot excellent buff here but it was hair raising stuff as in the dry season the big stuff concentrates in the thick riverine reeds, exciting though and not for the faint hearted.

Thank you so much Sir ....your information clears a little bit the picture ...i am after Cape Buff ...still not sure when will be best to go hunting for ....its between mid August or mid October beginning of November ...what would you do ?? If it was you which date would you choose ???

I would first check out the hunting Outfit, I do not know them and I cannot find anything on them on the internet. Make sure everything is legit and they have their paperwork in order. Especially if you plan on using your own rifle.

Hunting more remote areas such as this it is wise to use a well established outfit, rather than a unknown one offering "great" deals.

Contact Take Aim and get some info.

If I had to choose between September and October, I would go in October. It will be dry and hot(so go prepared). You are more likely to encounter small groups or single dagga boys rather than breeding herds. Finding tracks will be easier from water points at this time and the heat will have the old bulls lying up as soon as it gets hot(mid morning), they may however be close to the river so make sure you use an appropriate caliber that you shoot well to avoid follow up complications as mentioned.

Good luck.

Hunting park or country borders there is always that complication.
Drop them on the spot.

Have anyone hunted for Cape Buffalo in this area called Pafuri next to the Kruger National Park ?? I came across a hunt for buffalo in this area called Pafuri they say in Mozambique but it looks more like its in S Africa . They say that are no fences and buffalo crosses at will from Kruger National Park and that some nice trophies were shot there .Does anybody know anything about this area ???Anybody hunted buffalo in this area ???

How much is the hunt being offered for?

Check the operator out very carefully.
Sponsors on this site can help you with a hunt.

There is indeed a hunting area on the Mozambican side of " crooks corner " , called pafuri.

I am not sure who is operating it at present.

What hunters should understand that they might not be dealing with the outfitter who runs that area. It is very common for outfitters to buy a hunt in another outfitters area and re sell it again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. There are outfitters who only operate like this. I sell a number of my big game hunts every year to a select few other outfitters , and the system works well.

The problem comes in when the outfitter selling you the hunt gets screwed by the outfitter who owns the area , for whatever reason. Or the outfitter you use misrepresents the hunt you are buying... Now its " he said that , you said that , but...."

So , if an outfitter tells you of " his " concession. Ask him if its his or is he buying from another outfitter. Could save you some heart ache..

There is indeed a hunting area on the Mozambican side of " crooks corner " , called pafuri.

I am not sure who is operating it at present.

What hunters should understand that they might not be dealing with the outfitter who runs that area. It is very common for outfitters to buy a hunt in another outfitters area and re sell it again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. There are outfitters who only operate like this. I sell a number of my big game hunts every year to a select few other outfitters , and the system works well.

The problem comes in when the outfitter selling you the hunt gets screwed by the outfitter who owns the area , for whatever reason. Or the outfitter you use misrepresents the hunt you are buying... Now its " he said that , you said that , but...."

So , if an outfitter tells you of " his " concession. Ask him if its his or is he buying from another outfitter. Could save you some heart ache..

Yip, especially in that area.

No info on outfit mentioned by the OP makes me nervous to start with. It is a remote area and you need somebody with experience in that specific area.

Last year I hunted there with an acquaintance. We have only seen a single buffalo and a handfull of other game. However lot of people, countless cattle with bells, goats, donkeys. That place called Sengwe 1 one has to avoid under all circumstances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg