Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Virginia and North Carolina (USA)
I have been presented, through personal friends, the opportunity to brown bear hunt in Russia next year. Specifically, in Kamchatka Peninsula. I would love to hear from those more knowledgeable and experienced regarding such a hunt. Lets hear the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks! :)

"Personal friends", i.e.. been there done that friends I hope.!?

The bad: Pressure (insistence) to shoot anything with fur on it. Meaning very small bears.

I have no experience or knowledge of hunting there but I would go for it. I'm an adventurous type tho. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Are your friends international hunters and do they have a lot of good experience setting up hunts like this? How is their success on hunts like this? Even if friends recommend the hunt, do your own due diligence and vet the outfitter and agent yourself.

I haven't hunted Russia/Kamchatka.

Some of the things I have heard through acquaintances on their hunt:

-Camp is rough.
-Helicopter/Trucks/Snowmobiles are old and tired. Not sure if I like old and tired helicopters.
-Food is average.
-What Brickburn said. Know how to judge bears and don't rely completely on your guide. You probably don't want a 4.5' brownie.

That being said you have a chance for a great adventure at a reasonable price. If things work out I hope you have a blast! And of course, we want to hear all about it.;)

Sounds like a great adventure! Be extremely cautious about the travel arrangements, like Wheels said. Also the export of the trophies. If you have a local agent to meet/greet and translate throughout the trip, good. I was booked on an Ibex hunt last year until things went downhill in Russia. The booking agent was going to be with us throughout. The Hunting Consortium has a lot of experience in Kamchatka (Corey Knowlton) Hope you are with someone who has great ties and experience. Good luck and have fun!

.....as said, pressure to shoot, lack of hunting ethics.....pursuing bear on snowmobile...and I would be very reluctant to fly in by those worn down russian Mi-8 helicopters..

Sorry to be the fly in the ointment...but it is only about the $$$ for them..

I am going in April, I researched the trip and outfitters quite a bit and learned the correct questions to ask from friends that have done Russian hunts before, I believe I found the right guy, an American, that puts Russian hunts together (for over 20yrs) and am very excited about the hunt.
I have been on a couple Alaskan hunts and have been disappointed for the most part and the prices have skyrocketed in Alaska so I started looking into Russia.
Which outfitter are you looking at for the trip?

I have been presented, through personal friends, the opportunity to brown bear hunt in Russia next year. Specifically, in Kamchatka Peninsula. I would love to hear from those more knowledgeable and experienced regarding such a hunt. Lets hear the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks! :)

Hello Madam,

in 2011 I almost singned a bearhunt-contract for springhunt in 2012 by an Agent with best sound.
But I I feared instinctly something in the correctnes of the organisation in that part of the world.
I heared from the fellow, who was going at that time:

awesome wilderness,big bears (he did'nt get one,but bears was there).
Mostly no fair chase hunt.Snowmobile or Helihunting.
Accomodation: it has remainded him on a POW Camp, like his Father told him always, when he was in there after WW II.
The Russains in the camp:absolute good guys and good comrades.
Point of outfitting is the "town" Esso and everyone had to pay (before)USD 2.000.- for the Heli-flight in the camp.
The pilot said to the hunting group."Gentlemen ,I know that you have paid this flight,but I haven't seen any money.
So you want to go,you must pay me now,ore you must stay here."

Can you imagine ,that an Alaskan Pilot is talking that to you ?

So I made my contract for Africa and I was very happy with my decision.
The peninsula Kamtschatka is the last Wilderness in the northern Hemisphere.
One and a half time so big as Germany and they get out p.a. 150 Trophy moose,for example.
Thats nothing.
But the organisation is the adventure there.
The hunt is the cheapest that you can get for Brownbear,but the travelcosts make it expensive.
Two friends of mine made a contract for hunting moose in November this year.
When the journey works well,I feel that than I have to go and I will.

Below: a friend with his Kamtschatka moose,for a few years.A fantastic one,shot with his .378 Weatherby,but Helihunted.........Don't trust the fairytales from this end of the world :)
your sincerly
Foxi

Moose.jpg

Last edited:
I am going in April, I researched the trip and outfitters quite a bit and learned the correct questions to ask from friends that have done Russian hunts before, I believe I found the right guy, an American, that puts Russian hunts together (for over 20yrs) and am very excited about the hunt.
I have been on a couple Alaskan hunts and have been disappointed for the most part and the prices have skyrocketed in Alaska so I started looking into Russia.
Which outfitter are you looking at for the trip?

I'll PM you the info on the Outfitter. And I am very interested in hearing the questions you asked. Thank you.

The Outfitter I am considering has the following credentials: a 2006 Nominee for the SCI Outstanding North American PH of the year; a licensed outfitter and PH in Montana since 1984; a member of the Montana Board of Outfitters; Past President and Director, Montana Outfitters and Guides Assoc; Past Member, Governor of Montana's Private Land/Public Wildlife Council; SCI Life Member; Life and Full Professional Member International Professional Hunters Assoc; 2006 VP International Professional Hunters Assoc; Past President Five Valleys Chapter SCI.

He offers hunts worldwide and has hunted Russia for over 20 years. He and his wife (who is Russian), also take part in the hunt. Their latest trip was this past April/May. They had eight hunters take 13 brown bear. The bears taken averaged over 9 feet. Three were over 10. The hunting period was to last 10 days, but they completed their hunt in six, so they used the remaining days for sightseeing.

I have a rather extensive list of references he has provided for me. And I will definitely do my homework. I've wanted to hunt grizzly in Alaska for a while now, but the thought of hunting Russia seems even more thrilling. So we will see what happens as I do my research. I am scheduled now to hunt Africa next year. My only concern is where they are hunting (I don't care to go back to the same areas I have already been) and my oldest son getting married (they have not set the date yet). So time will tell. I appreciate any information and advise y'all may have. :):Bear:

Sounds like your doing your homework and have good people to hunt with. I have heard some horror stories. Bringing your own firearm is not an easy task. make sure the paperwork is all in order. Russians take guns very seriously. Hope you are able to go and give us a report. Would love to know more. Bruce

Thread very carefully, Russia is not a place to mess with. A lot of thieves and unscrupulous people. Equipment is very old and not maintained well. Spook Spann a well know TV hunter nearly lost his life there. I would if I were to go only book with someone like Cory knowlton or another booking agent with extensive experience and contacts. You may want to try and reach Spook Spann for a comment.

I just reached out to Spook, he told me he would never hunt Russia again.. Not trying to scare you but IMO I would pay the extra money and hunt Alaska.

I just reached out to Spook, he told me he would never hunt Russia again.. Not trying to scare you but IMO I would pay the extra money and hunt Alaska.

Johnny,
I know that legions of germanspeaking hunters was travelling to Siberia, year for year to shoot the giant Roebucks there.
Most of them are enthusiastic.
You are more safe than in Namibia.
Foxi

My paranoid, over politicized self says travel with caution. After this Iran deal I see things getting more polarized. I suspect Russia and US relations are not improving in the short term. But, then again, I live a paranoid existence.

One thing for sure is that you are blessed with hunting opportunities and companions!

Safe hunting.

Johnny,
I know that legions of germanspeaking hunters was travelling to Siberia, year for year to shoot the giant Roebucks there.
Foxi
Maybe so sir, but with all do respect since I personally know several people who to put it mildly will not go back to Russia. If you look at the equipment and modes of transportation within Russia and the sometime lack of respect of game and sometime inability of true trophy judgement IMO your better off hunting European brown bear elsewhere in Europe. Again folks like Cory Knowlton can put you in touch with the right folks.

Johnny,
Foxi

That's a hunt that is on my bucket list. I would love to hunt the Siberian Roe buck in a typical Russian forest edge.
I have a set of Siberian roe antlers on my wall that I acquired a while ago and look longingly at them, dreaming of the Russian steppes and an untouched wilderness.

From reading the posts here though I find it incredibly sad that such a wilderness is becoming inaccessible because of the practices of rogue outfitters and the hunting opportunities are taken with such a huge element of risk and the unknown factor hanging over them.

It's as if the iron curtain is still in place for hunters because when you venture beyond it, you really are in the hands of people who may or may not have your best interests at heart.

It could be a tremendous source of income to the locals if it was governed and regulated with consistency and hunters could travel without fear of their personal safety and without the risk of getting shafted.

That's a hunt that is on my bucket list. I would love to hunt the Siberian Roe buck in a typical Russian forest edge.
I have a set of Siberian roe antlers on my wall that I acquired a while ago and look longingly at them, dreaming of the Russian steppes and an untouched wilderness.

From reading the posts here though I find it incredibly sad that such a wilderness is becoming inaccessible because of the practices of rogue outfitters and the hunting opportunities are taken with such a huge element of risk and the unknown factor hanging over them.

It's as if the iron curtain is still in place for hunters because when you venture beyond it, you really are in the hands of people who may or may not have your best interests at heart.

It could be a tremendous source of income to the locals if it was governed and regulated with consistency and hunters could travel without fear of their personal safety and without the risk of getting shafted.

Come on then, lets see the Siberian Roe buck! :D

Thread very carefully, Russia is not a place to mess with. A lot of thieves and unscrupulous people. Equipment is very old and not maintained well. Spook Spann a well know TV hunter nearly lost his life there. I would if I were to go only book with someone like Cory knowlton or another booking agent with extensive experience and contacts. You may want to try and reach Spook Spann for a comment.

Johnny, tragically there are "thieves and unscrupulous people" in every aspect of the hunting industry worldwide. And I, am a very trusting person. As one person told me, I am "TOO trusting". Hopefully, at this time in my life and having learned a few hard lessons, I am now wiser. And I cannot help but believe there are far more near death (as well as those who have died), hunting accidents in Africa. But that does not stop us from hunting her beautiful countries. Maybe it is that sense of danger that adds to the thrill, and the drive.

I appreciate the responses. And I will add a few more steps to researching this hunt. If anything, I want to go there even more. ;)

Best of luck to you. With all due respect, one could not compare Africa to Russia with the exception of some of the Africa countries that are being over run by terror organizations. In most of Africa you will not have to worry about your 30 year old helicopter crashing, or pilots looking for additional payments. Or snow whiteouts. In any event as you said the element of danger is what drives a lot of us to hunt DG. My brownie charged at 5o feet when I shot him in Alaska..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber