Hunting boots for Northern Limpopo province South Africa

My favorite African hunting boot is the Kudu Commander made by Tarzan boot company in South Africa. They aren’t pretty,but they last forever and the sole is perfect for walking quietly in the sandy soil. They also do well on the rocks. Tall enough not to need gaiters. They are also super cheap.

The downside is I don’t know of any place to buy in the US. Also they are not water proof, but that’s generally not a problem on an African hunt. You might see if you can pick some up while you are there.

06D0E890-3273-4607-8A65-98AD70828028.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought Kennetrek hiking boots--the mid-rise--and they are very comfortable. I wore them on two hunts in the Limpopo province of SA on the Limpopo River border with Botswana. Did lots of spot and stalk walking and the Kennetrek boots were great. Check out their website. Easy to order and if they don't fit, return them and they will send another size. There are many different styles to choose from.
These are the boots to have in Africa. I think the model is called the desert Safari. Many other boots will not cut the mustard for the amount of walking you will have to do sometimes in sand sometimes over broken rock. Eurooptic in Montoursville PA sometimes runs severely discounted specials on them. I think I paid 280 bucks for my second pair last Summer. I gave the higher mileage pair to my son who still wears them! You are very wise to take care of this before it's too late... Minimal break-in is required with the kenetrek's as they are fairly soft to begin with.

Also they are not water proof, but that’s generally not a problem on an African hunt.

Africa is a continent , there are areas that are very humid. I sometimes wore rubber boots for hunting in Uganda on the border of Congo. In the delta of the Zambezi I had sometimes water up to the waistline.

IMHO the boots are not a problem in the dry bush area where the majority hunt. I wouldn't worry too much about that. The Courteney Selous boots are sure great , but every lightweight trekking boots are actually suitable. I wear the same boots in Africa as in my area in spring and summer. Anyway , summer in Europe is nowadays often hotter with us than in south-east or south Africa during the hunting season.

Last edited:
The best you could have had in the past , the Pataugas , the shoe of the French army in Indochina and Algeria , and of generations of French hunters in Africa. I have used the last for 20 years ago.

Not available in the original form nowadays.

upload_2020-2-7_10-5-34.png

Any normal hiking boot which fits you, will be just fine for hunting in the Limpopo.

Nyati and I agree.
On my first trip to RSA, I took two types of my hunting boots and tried both.
Remember the old green Browning bird hunting boots with an almost smooth tread (no lugs).? They were the best and from day 2 through day 10, they were my field boots. I still wear them when I know a bird hunt may turn into a trek.

kenetrek-boot-ke-420-saf.jpg
These are the boots to have in Africa. I think the model is called the desert Safari. Many other boots will not cut the mustard for the amount of walking you will have to do sometimes in sand sometimes over broken rock. Eurooptic in Montoursville PA sometimes runs severely discounted specials on them. I think I paid 280 bucks for my second pair last Summer. I gave the higher mileage pair to my son who still wears them! You are very wise to take care of this before it's too late... Minimal break-in is required with the kenetrek's as they are fairly soft to begin with.
I have tried them all and not here to bash the other brands, but these are by FAR the most comfortable boots ever worn in hunting nearly 1/2 century in the most varied terrains! On the converse, I did have a couple bad experiences with blisters and athlete's foot using the competition (which failed miserably on those occasions.) These are fully waterproof, too.

Africa is a continent , there are areas that are very humid. I sometimes wore rubber boots for hunting in Uganda on the border of Congo. In the delta of the Zambezi I had sometimes water up to the waistline.

IMHO the boots are not a problem in the dry bush area where the majority hunt. I wouldn't worry too much about that. The Courteney Selous boots are sure great , but every lightweight trekking boots are actually suitable. I wear the same boots in Africa as in my area in spring and summer. Anyway , summer in Europe is nowadays often hotter with us than in south-east or south Africa during the hunting season.

You are correct sir. My language was imprecise. I should have said for a typical hunt in the Limpopo province. I ended up walking into the intercontinental hotel in Lusaka once barefoot and wet up to my chest after a day chasing Lechwe on the Kafue flats.

For the guys who own Courteneys, how well do they stand up to sharp rocks? Walking on rocks?

I cant say i have that much experience there. Are they a mountain boot, probably not. I have walked on and in hills with rocks etc. And will do so again. I want get use from them.
My Selous are a heavier leather than the Patrol and i dont know if thats because of a different batch or if they select heavier for Selous (apparently the flagship model)
I was surprised to find a cut in my impala gaiters from Courteney not sure if it was a thorn or a rock.
I expected the Patrol to be stiffer and thicker. Having Selous made in Patrol height sounds good and should be a good boot.
I think the tractor tread is u necessary and clrat sole should work anywhere being a soft rubber but i havent seen it in person.
These are probably a great boot for the bush and moderate hills but of 2 sets with the same sizing they are very different fits.

I believe if i read the ads correctly, the Courtney's are marketed today as "classics" or antiquities....I've walked immediately behind many a PH wearing them...I joked long ago in Zimbabwe that the soles looked like they were made out of re-treaded truck tires. I'm sure the soles are fine in any territory, so long as you abide by the legal speed and weight limits! :p As an engineer that hunts, they just strike me as less than optimum design-especially if you have foot/ankle issues. It is great that they'r made out of our favorite game animals in our favorite place, but that's not enough for me...I upgraded to Kenetrek after problems with many other American (Danner, etc.) and German (Meindl, etc.) boots, and not buying into Courtney. I'll off-set that wise decision via support of Zim in both travel and hunting, so no worries there!

For the last few trips over, including Limpopo, I have been wearing the Danner Jackal GT boot. Very light and comfortable. But I change shoes at least once during the day for comfort as my feet do tire. I rotate to an old pair of Courteney kudu hide shoes, basically a rough-out Vellie. Bought them new in Bulawayo in 1996 for $30US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg