Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
US, Canada, RSA (Limpopo, Eastern Cape), Zimbabwe (Omay North X 2, Dande Safari Area, Dande East), Botswana
I haven't been following the forum closely for a few days, so if this was a recent topic and I missed it, I apologize for starting a new thread. A friend sent me an e-mail from a hunting report that contained the links below. The text from each of the stories is included as well. These stories seem to cater to those who feel all hunting should be banned, so I doubt these represent the whole story (blanket ban on hunting in Botswana)? Anyhow, is this internet hype or is a significant portion of the hunting in Botswana at immediate risk?

Botswana bans all hunting
eTurboNews Sports Tourism
By Gill Staden, eTN Jul 18, 2011

(eTN) - Botswana government is set to ban hunting throughout the country following a recent report by Dr. Mike Chase, Elephants without Borders, which shows that some wildlife species have decreased by as much as 90% during the past 10 years. The decrease is due to hunting, poaching, and bushfires.

The Botswana government will promote photographic safaris only. Botswana does very well with its high-end photographic safaris which are world-renowned. The change in legislation will also affect Batswana hunters who are used to having their quota. However, in the interest of their wildlife, the government feels that they have no alternative but to ban all hunting.

The report shows that ostrich have declined by 95%, wildebeest by 90%, 84% of tsessebe, 81% of warthogs and kudu, and around 60% of giraffe. This is since 1996.

Botswana has much stricter policing of their wildlife than some countries. They are also willing to undertake aerial surveys and publish the results. The figures above are extremely frightening for our world when many African countries take no surveys of their wildlife populations and even if they did are not likely to publish them.

Wildlife hunting to cease in Botswana
Mmegi Online
by MONKAGEDI GAOTLHOBOGWE Staff Writer

The Botswana government is in advanced legal process to ban the hunting of wildlife in favour of photographic safari, a Ministry of Wildlife, Environment and Tourism spokesperson revealed at a workshop at Yarona Country Lodge early this week.

Archibald Ngakayagae says they will be using recent research findings by wildlife conservationist, Dr Mike Chase, that shows that some wildlife species have dwindled by as high as 90 percent due to hunting, poaching and veldt fires over the last decade. The policy to promote photographic safari against hunting is now advanced, Ngakayagae says, adding that in future they will not be issuing any hunting quotas. Lion hunting in Botswana was suspended in 2007, to allow the cats' population to swell. The Wildlife Department has been worried by the dwindling number of lions in places like the Khutse Game Reserve, Central Kgalagadi Game Reserve (CKGR) and the Kgalagadi Trans-Frontier Park, where conflict between humans and predators is on the rise. In the Kgatleng District the hunting of wildlife of all kinds has remained suspended since 1981, according to Molepolole-based regional wildlife officer, Dorothy Thite.

The campaign to move towards photographic safari is promoted by operators who run photographic safaris in the Okavango Delta and Kasane regions, but the campaign has divided the wildlife conservationists in Botswana, some of whom argue that hunting quotas issued to the communities that live near wildlife management areas, help empower and develop local communities. Research findings unveiled a few weeks ago by Chase, reveal that the Okavango Delta has suffered "catastrophic" species loss over the past 15 years. The study found that 11 species have declined by 61 percent since a 1996 survey in the Ngamiland district. Ostrich numbers declined by 95 percent, while 90 percent of wildebeest were also wiped out, along with 84 percent of antelope tsessebe, 81 percent of warthogs and kudus, and nearly two-thirds of giraffes.

"The numbers of wildebeest have fallen below the minimum of 500 breeding pairs to be sustainable. They are on the verge of local extinction," he said.

This has been expected for some time now. Hope its not here yet but we will have to see more verification and first hand reports from those who hunt there. Sad story. The Okavango is the most beautiful place I have hunted.

Shakey

The Botswana,s Ban on Hunting was posted on July 15, 2011.

The vote is in the works and in the next day or so an official statement from Botswana addressing the hunting industry should be made public...

Wildlife hunting to cease in Botswana
MONKAGEDI GAOTLHOBOGWE
Staff Writer
The Botswana government is in advanced legal process to ban the hunting of wildlife in favour of photographic safari, a Ministry of Wildlife, Environment and Tourism spokesperson revealed at a workshop at Yarona Country Lodge early this week.

Archibald Ngakayagae says they will be using recent research findings by wildlife conservationist, Dr Mike Chase, that shows that some wildlife species have dwindled by as high as 90 percent due to hunting, poaching and veldt fires over the last decade. The policy to promote photographic safari against hunting is now advanced, Ngakayagae says, adding that in future they will not be issuing any hunting quotas. Lion hunting in Botswana was suspended in 2007, to allow the cats' population to swell. The Wildlife Department has been worried by the dwindling number of lions in places like the Khutse Game Reserve, Central Kgalagadi Game Reserve (CKGR) and the Kgalagadi Trans-Frontier Park, where conflict between humans and predators is on the rise. In the Kgatleng District the hunting of wildlife of all kinds has remained suspended since 1981, according to Molepolole-based regional wildlife officer, Dorothy Thite.

The campaign to move towards photographic safari is promoted by operators who run photographic safaris in the Okavango Delta and Kasane regions, but the campaign has divided the wildlife conservationists in Botswana, some of whom argue that hunting quotas issued to the communities that live near wildlife management areas, help empower and develop local communities. Research findings unveiled a few weeks ago by Chase, reveal that the Okavango Delta has suffered "catastrophic" species loss over the past 15 years. The study found that 11 species have declined by 61 percent since a 1996 survey in the Ngamiland district. Ostrich numbers declined by 95 percent, while 90 percent of wildebeest were also wiped out, along with 84 percent of antelope tsessebe, 81 percent of warthogs and kudus, and nearly two-thirds of giraffes.
"The numbers of wildebeest have fallen below the minimum of 500 breeding pairs to be sustainable. They are on the verge of local extinction," he said.

My PH in Zim told me last month that the President of Botswana has a vested interest in the photo safari business and thus is inclined towards the stopping of hunting safaris. However my PH also told me that the ban would likely only pertain to public or govt concession lands and not to privately owned safari lands owned by individuals or safari companies. One can only hope.

The hunting report that was forwarded to me also suggested private lands would not be included in the ban. It also suggested elephant would not be banned due to increasing populations and the negative effect their overpopulation is having on the habitat. I don’t know when or if I’ll ever make it to Botswana, but hunting the Okavango Delta must be an incredible experience. I sincerely hope I eventually get that chance one day. I love to take photographs and observe nature, but I feel much more alive with a rifle in my hands ….

Shakey, You can read my story about the Delta on my page. Sitatunga hunting by makoro, fantastic.

Maybe they should ban poaching and veldt fires while they are at it.

This was posted by Ivan Carter on another forum. It appears (hopefully) the hunting ban story was a case of ready, fire, aim.

TELEPHONE: 3191312 MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT,

TELEGRAMS: MEWT WILDLIFE AND TOURISM

PRIVATE BAG BO 199
FAX: 3951092
GABORONE
REFERENCE EWT 1/6/4 III ()

ALL CORRESPONDENCE MUST BE ADDRESSED TO THE PERMANENT SECRETARY

20th July 2011

ALL EDITORS,

RE: MMEGI ARTICLE RESPONSE: “WILDLIFE HUNTING TO CEASE IN BOTSWANA”.

We refer to the above article carried on Mmegi issue of Friday 15th July, 2011.

It was said that; the Botswana government is in advanced legal process to ban the hunting of wildlife in favour of photographic safari.

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Environment, Wildlife and Tourism would like to clarify that there is no decision made to ban wildlife hunting. Instead, what is being done is to encourage photographic tourism and gradually limit but not ban wildlife hunting. It must be known that species with declining numbers will be considered for limited hunting while those with increasing numbers like elephants, will continue to be hunted within CITES framework.

On the 13th and 14th July 2011, the Ministry and other stakeholders organized two days training workshop for local Media Practitioners on Poverty and Environmental Reporting. It was at this workshop that the Ministry spokesperson highlighted the benefits of photographic tourism to Community Trusts in the country as compared to just issuing hunting quotes during a discussion on Community Based Resource National Management (CBNRM). But there was no reference to hunting ban. Unfortunately, he was quoted out of context.

In conclusion, the Ministry states that the Botswana Government has no plan to ban hunting in this country and we would like to assure all hunting safari companies and affected communities that live near wildlife management areas who continues to benefit from hunting. The Mmegi story does not reflect current government thinking on the subject of wildlife hunting.

Yours Faithfully

Mable Bolele
Coordinator, Communications, Research and Development

Attachments

• botswana-hunting.jpg
    botswana-hunting.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 169
Mike

The report that i read went onto say that anyone who has a safari booked this year that safari will still go off as scheduled...that was a good reporting...

As we all know that many things go on behind closed doors...

It's a darn shame. With todays knowledge and modern technology there is no reason that hunt should be banned in Botswana. Either there is huge mismanagement in the Wildlife Dept. or a lot of poaching....because legal hunters are not threatening Botswana's wildlife.

It's a darn shame. With todays knowledge and modern technology there is no reason that hunt should be banned in Botswana. Either there is huge mismanagement in the Wildlife Dept. or a lot of poaching....because legal hunters are not threatening Botswana's wildlife.
I agree 100% with you.

It looks like another African country going right down the tubes! It looks like another Kenya in the making. The okavango is one of the most game rich areas in the world & that will be kaput in a couple of years after the poachers have a field day and the game disappears forever!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!