Hunting Attire for Women

I hope Maddy doesn’t beat you to the mailbox, now everyone knows the secret of the antelope whisperer and his mad speedgoat hunting techniques! Lol. I answered my door with it on when @ActionBob came to the house the other day.
@NurseFet i promise they are super warm! Lol

#stopinternetbullying
:E Rofl: :E Lol:
But now I am very nervous :eek:

Best buy we ever made was a cabelas muff. I bought 3 on sale a couple years ago for about $20. Toss a hand warmer in there and you're good in the coldest temperatures. I also really like having my hands free when it's time to shoot, no gloves or anything getting hung up on gear or interfering with my shot.

Here's the current version:
https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/pro....z_btnclk=YMAL-2806279&WT.z_pg_ref=prd2806279

Attachments

• Screenshot (473).png
    Screenshot (473).png
    296.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve heard the rumors, but I’ve never actually seen the deer costume pics.
Antelope... well now, that is another matter! :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 269479

I’m sorry Cody! Truly I am. But you know if I didn’t do it Royal would have! Or Tim, or Bob, or... :ROFLMAO:
It really is one of your better photos, although it wasn’t taken from your good side.

Wow very sexy!

Trying not to play this woman card too much, but I just have so many questions!

I get cold really easily, particularly my hands, so I am looking for.....

Anyone have any experience, recommendations, etc.....

Hunting in Africa is the solution....

;)

HWL

NurseFet, Ridgewalker's post is very close to what I use in Michigan. The solution to cold is layers. Cabela's generally has a complete line of hunting clothes (all layers) designed for women. For gloves I use Military Surplus Wool Glove Liners. For colder days I cover them with "fingerless" Ragg Wool leather palmed gloves. I take Tec Weight long johns for a base layer and use Marino Wool long johns for a mid layer. Good Marino Wool socks are a must. Your outer layer needs to be able to stop wind. How you dress each day depends on how you will be hunting. If a lot of walk and stalk is the order of the day your physical movement will increase blood flow and keep your body warm, i.e. less clothing required. On the other hand if you are going to be sitting in a blind, more clothes will be required. If sitting a hand blanket with or without a chemical warmer will be most welcome.
Armor All (sp) offers a lot of cold weather clothing for women, you might check them out as well. One last caveat WOOL IS WARM EVEN WHEN WET nothing else is. You might also try sending a PM to some of the other female hunters on AH to see how they prepare for colder weather.

PS I liked your comment about the eye bleach. Some attempts at humor are not humorous at all. Stick with it girl, you're on the right track.

NurseFet, Ridgewalker's post is very close to what I use in Michigan. The solution to cold is layers. Cabela's generally has a complete line of hunting clothes (all layers) designed for women. For gloves I use Military Surplus Wool Glove Liners. For colder days I cover them with "fingerless" Ragg Wool leather palmed gloves. I take Tec Weight long johns for a base layer and use Marino Wool long johns for a mid layer. Good Marino Wool socks are a must. Your outer layer needs to be able to stop wind. How you dress each day depends on how you will be hunting. If a lot of walk and stalk is the order of the day your physical movement will increase blood flow and keep your body warm, i.e. less clothing required. On the other hand if you are going to be sitting in a blind, more clothes will be required. If sitting a hand blanket with or without a chemical warmer will be most welcome.
Armor All (sp) offers a lot of cold weather clothing for women, you might check them out as well. One last caveat WOOL IS WARM EVEN WHEN WET nothing else is. You might also try sending a PM to some of the other female hunters on AH to see how they prepare for colder weather.

PS I liked your comment about the eye bleach. Some attempts at humor are not humorous at all. Stick with it girl, you're on the right track.

I wish I could claim the eye bleach comment, but sadly that was not my genius.

Unfortunately, I have bad circulation to my fingers (Raynaud's for the medically inclined), so they go numb when walking at even mild temperatures. I will most DEFINITELY be looking into the Cabela's items y'all have recommended. Hand Warmers are already my best friend, but sometimes they're just not enough. I will start investing in more wool layers ASAP. That definitely sounds like the cheapest, most efficient way to start. Goodwill and thrift store trips it is!

Hunting in Africa is the solution....

;)

HWL

Unfortunately, when I was in Africa this past June I learned that not all of Africa is warm. We were unexpectedly in the Free State and, being unprepared for the colder climate, I was not adequately dressed. Because of this experience, I am starting to prepare earlier in order to get the best deal on gear.

Watch the site camofire.com they have deals that reload every 12 hours and there are frequently cold weather gear from Sitka and Element on there at great prices. It is kind of addictive though.

NurseFet, just in case you didn't know Ridgewalker is taking his 12 year old granddaughter to Africa on a hunt in a few months. You can bet "he is all over this."

My friend has Raynaud's and I solved his issue with a Cabelas hand muff and some light weight finger-less gloves. Hand warmers in the muff are great but I like something between my hand and a cold rifle so I wear finger-less gloves inside the muff. I would also recommend base and mid layers with thumb holes in the sleeves, this extra bit of insulation around your palm and back of your hand makes a big difference. If you have a jacket or a pullover with a kangaroo pocket you can your hand muff in it providing even more insulation for your hands. I have a camo non insulated Scentlok / Dry-plus pullover with a kangaroo pocket from Cabelas that my hand muff lives in, it makes a outer layer for cool to cold weather hunts. I also recommend Cabelas wooltimate line of hunting clothes fleeced wool is great for staying warm.

Last edited:
NurseFet, I misspoke when I mentioned Armor All as a possible brand. The correct name is Under Armor. That line is expensive but sometimes on sale. Another source of good outdoor gear for women is the Duluth trading Company. Another point that was made earlier that I want to reinforce is that outer garments i.e shirts, sweaters, pants and jacket need to fit "loose" with all layers fitting skin tight you will freeze.

NurseFet, I misspoke when I mentioned Armor All as a possible brand. The correct name is Under Armor. That line is expensive but sometimes on sale. Another source of good outdoor gear for women is the Duluth trading Company. Another point that was made earlier that I want to reinforce is that outer garments i.e shirts, sweaters, pants and jacket need to fit "loose" with all layers fitting skin tight you will freeze.

Under Armour ColdGear is well known to me, but I completely forgot about it until now. I used to wear it when I ran track in high school. Good to know about the loose-fitting part, though. It makes complete sense when I think about it.

Good to know about the loose-fitting part, though. It makes complete sense when I think about it.

FYI, I found out as well not to wear snug gloves in cold weather. Now that I am approaching my twilight years (maybe 20-25 more years left:eek:) I get cold much easier than in my youth (60s :LOL:). Shooting mittens or “glomitts” (finger cover folds back) help a lot.

FYI, I found out as well not to wear snug gloves in cold weather. Now that I am approaching my twilight years (maybe 20-25 more years left:eek:) I get cold much easier than in my youth (60s :LOL:). Shooting mittens or “glomitts” (finger cover folds back) help a lot.

I have recently become aware of these "glomitts". They will be the type of glove that I get if I ever decide to purchase some.

plus 1 for Duluth Trading

https://www.amazon.com/Coyote-Polypro-Weather-Undershirt-Polypropylene/dp/B01M0AH13O?th=1&psc=1
Is a good top, the bottoms are warm as well.

I highly recommend good wool socks, be prepared to pay $10+ a pair.

As for your hands, I recommend a pair of black leather dress gloves.
Black because the sun will warm them. A pair of nitrile gloves underneath will help a lot as well.

I don’t recommend heavy gloves. Military rifles are often designed with heavy gloves in mind. Hunting rifles rarely are. Fumbling with safety’s with heavy gloves is bad, negligent discharges happen when people try and shove a heavily gloves finger into the trigger guard.

What you can do, and what I do when the temp drops below 30, is I wear layered gloves on my left hand.
S o dress glove underneath, and a heavy insulated work glove on top. My right hand only has a thin glove on, and it stays in my pocket until I draw the weapon.

You can put a pocket warmer in your pocket to hold onto if the temp drops to much.

Your shooting hand won’t cool off appreciably in the 5 minutes it takes to set up a shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot (476).png
    Screenshot (476).png
    325.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.amazon.com/Coyote-Polypro-Weather-Undershirt-Polypropylene/dp/B01M0AH13O?th=1&psc=1
Is a good top, the bottoms are warm as well.

I highly recommend good wool socks, be prepared to pay $10+ a pair.

As for your hands, I recommend a pair of black leather dress gloves.
Black because the sun will warm them. A pair of nitrile gloves underneath will help a lot as well.

I don’t recommend heavy gloves. Military rifles are often designed with heavy gloves in mind. Hunting rifles rarely are. Fumbling with safety’s with heavy gloves is bad, negligent discharges happen when people try and shove a heavily gloves finger into the trigger guard.

What you can do, and what I do when the temp drops below 30, is I wear layered gloves on my left hand.
S o dress glove underneath, and a heavy insulated work glove on top. My right hand only has a thin glove on, and it stays in my pocket until I draw the weapon.

You can put a pocket warmer in your pocket to hold onto if the temp drops to much.

Your shooting hand won’t cool off appreciably in the 5 minutes it takes to set up a shot.

I never thought about the nitrile gloves! I am a nurse, so I have an ENDLESS supply of those at work. And, come to think of it, my hands always sweat when I wear them. I will definitely have to remember to take a handful of those next trip!!

I’ve heard the rumors, but I’ve never actually seen the deer costume pics.
Antelope... well now, that is another matter! :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 269479

I’m sorry Cody! Truly I am. But you know if I didn’t do it Royal would have! Or Tim, or Bob, or... :ROFLMAO:
It really is one of your better photos, although it wasn’t taken from your good side.

Damn straight I would have!!!

True!

But OMG that hat ain't one of the unfunny ones. I'm not shamed to say I have that pic saved on my phone. Along with another one of Cody telling me how much he missed me when he was in the EC!!!! Kinda a wish you were here type of thing .

IMG-20160619-WA0001.jpg

Damn straight I would have!!!

True!

But OMG that hat ain't one of the unfunny ones. I'm not shamed to say I have that pic saved on my phone. Along with another one of Cody telling me how much he missed me when he was in the EC!!!! Kinda a wish you were here type of thing .

View attachment 269695
I was just telling you you had one week until you were on that same porch! It had nothing to do with comedy. You know I wish you could have been there my friend!

I was just telling you you had one week until you were on that same porch! It had nothing to do with comedy. You know I wish you could have been there my friend!

I laughed so hard when I got that pic form Beans. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg