Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
On May 17, Secretary Zinke proposed expansion of hunting opportunities on 30 USNWR's. Many of you may be unaware that hunting opportunities had gradually eroded....especially under Pres Clinton. For example: hunting was severely curtailed on two of my favorite NWR, without the required public hearing. Under Clinton(s), essentially anti hunting administration, emphasis for appointed leadership positions was placed on perceived past inequalities rather than experience. The result, was de-facto elimination or curtailment of hunting. How could they do this with no law changes? Easy: limit or eliminate access roads, drain duck hunting ponds, and the like.

I had the opportunity recently to meet the new Secretary of the Interior, Ryan Zinke. What a change. What an improvement. A hunter at heart, the Secretary is determined to help regain and reinforce one of the prime stated objectives of the NWR system: A place to hunt.

I have often railed against the USFWS's anti-hunting bias. Secretary Zinke is helping make public lands accessible to the public, and the NWR system great again........................Flatwater Bill

Good luck to him.

Awesome to hear. It is so easy to curtail hunting. In New Jersey that’s curtail parking spots. Who wants to walk miles for a morning hunt. Hope this translates to real opportunity’s. Thanks for sharing.

This is good news. Ironic that some state game commissions trying to appease the political winds and following the same lead with trying to limit hunting.

MMal.......................thanks for the post. You point out an access issue that is often overlooked. Parking. And where do you park? As the war on access continues, the first easy casualties are us old guys. Make us walk 20 miles to get to the hunt area. Gets rid of us. And we are the ones who might teach another generation to hunt. So get us outta there! Here in Idaho, the current laws against use of motorized vehicles have some very important and even essential components to protect game.....but read literally, in some areas, they truly require walking from one's home to the hunt area. Now I know that is not the intention, but it is literally correct. Fat people and old people remain the only two groups that are legally discriminated against......The Secretary is committed to making access on public lands.....for everyone.....not just for the 30 year old mountain biking wood hippie. I salute him........................FWB

@flatwater bill, Agree on the access issue. Pennsylvania has 1.5 million acres of State Game lands and 2.2 million acres of state forest land, both of which unless you are a cripple, are 75% inaccessible by motorized vehicles. Even at that, you are restricted to specific roads, trails and fire lanes and a byzantine set of regulations. Ironic though, this same entity doesn't have a problem with the gas and timber companies using heavy equipment in the same lands.

In the National forest, where you cannot drive an atv, a D8 dozer is often perfectly legal.........but it is far easier for the USFS, for example, to keep the public out............no complaints, no lost hunters, no accidental fires, etc. This creates a strong negative incentive.....but somebody always has access....ranchers with grazing permits, loggers, miners, etc......just want to see some balance, not unlimited access.......FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.