Hunting arrows

MarkCZ

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
Hi guys, I hopefully will be hunting with my bow for the first time next year. I will be hunting animals up to Oryx. Could anyone please advise what arrow shaft I will need my bow is a 55lb compound.
many thanks, Markcz

G Skinner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Need more information.... bow speed , draw length and what size head you plan on shooting ....... based on averages bow speed up to an IBO of 300 fps , draw length 28 inches with 150 grain cut on contact broad heads shooting at 55 Lbs ...you'll need a 400 spined arrow according to Eastons Arrow Chart . I personally prefer FMJs ..but did go to Namibia with Powerflights and they worked fine .
Glen

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
I would look for some 400 series Easton fmj and put a 125 grain slick trick on them for a great flying combo. Many brands of arrows will work but those will give you just that little bit of extra weight that will help you a lot.

TOM

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
Hunted
Africa, Europe, Asia, North America
The whole system is important as said by Skinner above. Arrow length, draw weight and point weight. Arrow spine is one of the most important parts of great arrow flight and many people ignore it, then wonder why they cant get great accuracy. I am here to help anytime.

TOM

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
Hunted
Africa, Europe, Asia, North America
And to answer your question, i'm a Gold Tip arrow gal. Shot them for years and love them.

MarkCZ

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
I would look for some 400 series Easton fmj and put a 125 grain slick trick on them for a great flying combo. Many brands of arrows will work but those will give you just that little bit of extra weight that will help you a lot.
Many thanks for all the input chaps, I do like Easton arrows so I think this is the way to go. I do have some Hoyt top cut broad heads 125 grain. What materials are the Easton fmj arrows made from?
Markcz

G Skinner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
FMJ are carbon fiber arrows with an aluminum coating .
Glen

razorsharptokill

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa
Smaller diameter on the FMJs help in penetration I feel. They are also a little heavier per inch. I shoot them in my compound and my recurve. Any reputable bow shop can help you with arrow selection based upon your needs. Measuring your draw length accurately as well as finding out what draw weight

Ty Howard

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
FMJ 400s tipped with a sharp cut on contact head and you'll be fine

Kusko

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Exactly what Ty said. I shot through every animal but my impala! :)

MarkCZ

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
many thanks to all you guys who replied. I think it is pretty obvious I will be getting FMJ 400,s
Markcz

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
You will be happy with them I am sure. One of the best arrows out there right now. Good luck with getting your first animal with a bow.

Synergy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI (Chile chapter)
My vote go for the Easton Axis 400 with a good COC broadhead, more durable than the FMJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curtisvew

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J