Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Wildlife ranching SA.Phasa
Good Day to Everyone

There are a few discussions doing the rounds about the difference of hunting in different countries and areas.

Hunting is the cornerstone of conservation and we would like to invite anybody to join this discussion.Keep it positive ,as this should help not Tsala Hunting Safaris but also other Outfitters in SA or any other country for that matter, to give our clients the best experience possible.

We can only speak from a South African point of view , but keep in mind that this is to promote hunting in general and to show the important role hunting plays in conservation all over the world.

Lately, there has been controversy about hunting in South Africa – unsustainable herds, ‘put and take’ practises, hunting in fenced-in areas. Is there perhaps another side to the coin and can South Africa offer an unprecedented wilderness experience?

We need to understand the history and bigger picture of South African wildlife conservation efforts to put things into perspective. Since the 17th century, Africa saw considerable destruction of its wildlife. Over time the most significant genetics were hunted for the records. Consequently, animals of poor genetics were no longer eliminated through natural selection and became the chief breeders. The ‘big genes’ of old no longer roamed the plains of Africa.

In South Africa before 1991, wild animals were res nullius and effectively belonged to the state. The pivot point for the conservation of South African wildlife came when in 1991, the promulgation of the Game Theft Act allowed private ownership of game, so long as it was adequately enclosed or fenced in. The private ownership of wildlife immediately added value to wild animals and marginal land and created a chain of demand and supply. For the first time in centuries, the most significant genetics became breeding stock rather than hunting stock. Genetics improved annually in the wildlife sector. For example, in the year 2000, a 44” sable breeding bull would have been a scarce commodity. Today, only 20 years later, there are sable bulls with horns exceeding 55”! Parallel to the improvement and diversification of the genetic pool was a steady increase in animal numbers. The price we paid to achieve this was to fence in wildlife and to use a form of identity (tags) for animals in breeding projects. The active breeding of game saved many species that were once ‘threatened’ or on the brink of extinction, including white and black rhino, blesbok, bontebok, sable antelope, roan antelope, Cape Mountain zebra and black wildebeest. Still today, species are being introduced in areas where they have become locally extinct. The table below shows the increase of animal numbers on private ranches from 1950 – 2015:
upload_2020-5-12_11-23-21.png

Today, in addition to saving numerous species from extinction, South Africa is breaking world records: the biggest kudu bull ever to live is alive in South Africa, measuring 75 ¼”. Likewise, there are Southern sable exceeding 55”+ (and still growing). If hunted, the old record of 110 years old will be shattered. The world record horn length for Nyala (34 ½”) and the world record SCI for bushbuck (20.875”) are the results of our conservation efforts. The same applies to our buffalo genetics, where bulls of up to 55” are no longer a fable. Consider the last 172 SCI entries from Nov 2014 – Nov 2018 for buffalo, of which 72.7% originates from South Africa:
upload_2020-5-12_11-24-42.png

The same applies for the sable antelope last 200 SCI entries from 2013 – 2018, of which 153 originates from South Africa:
upload_2020-5-12_11-25-2.png

All other species bred over the past two decades show a dramatic improvement in genetic performance too.

We acknowledge that not every hunter is looking for a record bull but rather for an unparalleled African wilderness experience. South Africa is a popular hunting destination and offers an incredible diversity of wildlife on a single trip. It is the responsibility of the outfitter to provide an ethical hunt and fair chase, and unprecedented natural experience to clients. South Africa has diverse ecosystems and offers even more to tourists, from a buffalo hunt in the Limpopo province to the Cape Winelands, the Garden route, the semi-desert Karoo and Kalahari, to the pristine Drakensberg and much, much more.

There is a perception that animal herds in South Africa are not sustainable, but the truth is quite the opposite. We created a durable platform to maintain healthy animal numbers and genetic diversity. No other country can offer the variety, quantity and quality of game we have in South Africa. More animals are hunted in our country each year which again proves the success of our sustainable herds and conservation model. In stark contrast to the exponential growth of animal numbers in South Africa over the past two to three decades, game numbers plummeted drastically in Eastern and Western Africa. See the tables below:
upload_2020-5-12_11-25-20.png

upload_2020-5-12_11-25-34.png

Due to the sustainable model we follow and the fact that game is now readily available, hunting became more affordable in South Africa than before. For example, only a few years ago an average sable hunt cost about US $10 000 whereas today it may cost you as little as US $4 000. Due to the high numbers of animals in our country, we can offer hunts at far more affordable prices than in other African countries. Not only that, but more private owners are now also in the position to maintain sustainable herds in a healthy ecological system.

In the ideal world, it would be great to price all animals the same within a species irrespective of horn size or measurement. However, such a practice will create a platform where the top genetics will be hunted out first regardless the age of specimen without paying a premium, resulting in our wildlife genetics to be set back to where it was a few decades ago. Due to our large-scale conservation effort, South African farmers need to ask a premium price for record-breaking trophy sizes. Some hunters are willing to pay a premium for exceptional trophy sizes to earn a place in record books. Therefore, it makes sense to price trophies according to size - perhaps not too many price brackets per species, two or three at the most will do.

The outfitter plays a vital role in the hunter’s wildlife experience irrespective of where in Africa the hunt takes place. Presentation is as essential as the diversity, quantity, and quality of wildlife available. Like Tsala Safaris, many other South African outfitters consider the pristine wilderness experience of the hunter of great importance. When focused on client numbers, mistakes such as ‘put and take’ or hunting in unsustainable areas can easily be made. Unfortunately, a few such errors led to unfair criticism towards South African hunting outfitters in general. Yet, we are hungry for your feedback and view it in a positive light. Despite mistakes made in the past, I can assure you that many outfitters already corrected such mistakes like ‘tags in ears’ or ‘put and take’ practices. Many hunting concessions were enlarged by dropping fencelines so that sustainable herds can roam freely in a natural habitat.

To summarise: Without the promulgation of the Game Theft Act in 1991 and the numerous contributions made by hunters who long for an untamed African adventure, the preservation of South African wildlife would have been limited. We thank you for your support and also wish success to every hunting outfitter across borders. As in the US, hunting is the cornerstone for the successful preservation of the last remaining wildernesses of Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will try to keep this as professional as possible. I’ve had some excellent hunts in South Africa, but it needs to start repairing its reputation immediately or I don’t think you can change it. This is really unfortunate for the numerous outfitters who do things properly. I think Namibia has kept its reputation for quality hunting while South Africa has blurred the lines between farming and hunting in a lot of areas. I ask far less questions prior to a hunt in Namibia than South Africa. While breeding/farming has definitely increased the number of animals without question, there is a point I’m not sure you can call them wild animals anymore. I’ve seen too many sable and buffalo breeding camps in Limpopo while driving that will go straight to hunting industry. I can unfortunately also think of too many put and take outfitters to call it uncommon. I also think breeding for color variants and huge horns has done a lot to damage South Africa’s reputation. It is attracting the group that is there for the trophy and not hunting for the experience, particularly in the case where individual massive sable bulls or buffalo bulls are advertised. In my opinion to fix South Africa’s reputation it needs to start with becoming more difficult to become a pH or outfitter. There needs to be standards for size properties that are hunted on by outfitters with foreign clients that have or are in the process of establishing self sustaining wild herds (on that specific property not as a ranching industry). Advertising color variants and unnatural horn sizes needs to go away. This is my perspective on things, as I said at the beginning this is really unfortunate for outfitters who do things properly because there is some really excellent wild hunting in the country, I’m interested to see other’s opinions.

Much of SA gets a bad rap due to the scruples of a few bad operators, you can't paint the industry with with one broad brush!

Thanks to Tsala for the post. What the South African hunting industry is doing is similar to what Texas ranchers have been doing for decades with white tail deer. High fences and selective breeding, nutrition, and management have resulted in a much better, bigger, healthier, and more plentiful herd of white tail deer in Texas. There are still low fenced ranches and some public land with free roaming herds, but the animals are inferior.
In South Africa there are now more and bigger sable, buffalo, etc. than there were 15 or 20 years ago. And, that has resulted in more reasonable pricing, especially for sable. That's a good thing not a bad thing.

Let's be realistic. While there are still some large, unfenced wilderness areas in some African countries, when you get down to the hunting you are going to concentrate in an area where the outfitter knows the cape buffalo--leopard--kudu--etc. are known to hang out. (Except for seasonal migration, almost all species of game stay in more limited areas than you might think, food and water being the main factor.) That area may be only 10 to 20 square miles (7000 to 13,000 acres) of a 200,000 acre concession. On a 14 day hunt, you likely will never see the rest of the concession. Many of the game ranches in SA are 7000 acres and bigger--way bigger. The Africa of the early 20th century no longer exists, except for a few, more expensive exceptions.
For me, if I'm going to invest tens of thousands of dollars in flying half way around the world to hunt, and I have a specific list of animals I'm looking for, the convenience of South Africa trumps the so called "wild Africa" experience of some other countries. I have also hunted in Namibia and will likely hunt in Botswana or Zambia or Zimbabwe at some point. But I have had great hunts in SA.
I really have no interest in SCI or Rowland Ward records. I just want to hunt good, mature, healthy examples of the species. As I've said before, you still have to get out in the bush and find the animal, make the stalk and make the shot. It ain't no petting zoo over there.

Hi

Thanks for joining in the conversation.I think it's important to understand the reason and facts behind game farming in SA.If its wasn't for game farming , the facts show that there would have been species extinct or close to extinction in the wild.

What a lot of people don't know is that there are wild populations in Africa where the numbers of animals have decreased significantly and South African animals have been used ( exported ) to repopulate those herds.

There are very good and reasonable opinions from everyone but like Jeff said we should be careful not to give the whole industry ( breeding and hunting ) a bad name because of a few.There are very good Breeders and Outfitters in SA that are very good examples of sustainable utilisation and leaders in conservation.

Please keep the conversation going and we appreciate everyone's response and opinion.

Regards

Rouan

Hi Rouan,
Thanks for starting this thread.
I have a question.

So, the game is managed, as per law in high fense, and with ethical management we have sustainable herds on properties large enough for this..

The question is this, how do large predators fit in this scheme?

Releasing a pride of lions even in large fenced areas with intention to be self sustainable, will have severe financial consequences for any herbivore game management program, dependent on hunting revenues.

On the other hand, I am sure that in all of South Africa not all lions are captive bread, but this is the largest gap in my knowledge and understanding of South African conservation system.

Pls, note I am not at all against captive bread lion hunting, just would like to understand better.
If hunting of lion gets to my wish list, I will certainly look for South African offers, other being much $$ hihger.

I will try to keep this as professional as possible. I’ve had some excellent hunts in South Africa, but it needs to start repairing its reputation immediately or I don’t think you can change it. This is really unfortunate for the numerous outfitters who do things properly. I think Namibia has kept its reputation for quality hunting while South Africa has blurred the lines between farming and hunting in a lot of areas. I ask far less questions prior to a hunt in Namibia than South Africa. While breeding/farming has definitely increased the number of animals without question, there is a point I’m not sure you can call them wild animals anymore. I’ve seen too many sable and buffalo breeding camps in Limpopo while driving that will go straight to hunting industry. I can unfortunately also think of too many put and take outfitters to call it uncommon. I also think breeding for color variants and huge horns has done a lot to damage South Africa’s reputation. It is attracting the group that is there for the trophy and not hunting for the experience, particularly in the case where individual massive sable bulls or buffalo bulls are advertised. In my opinion to fix South Africa’s reputation it needs to start with becoming more difficult to become a pH or outfitter. There needs to be standards for size properties that are hunted on by outfitters with foreign clients that have or are in the process of establishing self sustaining wild herds (on that specific property not as a ranching industry). Advertising color variants and unnatural horn sizes needs to go away. This is my perspective on things, as I said at the beginning this is really unfortunate for outfitters who do things properly because there is some really excellent wild hunting in the country, I’m interested to see other’s opinions.

375Fox Thank you very much for your comments and valid points.

SA is working hard to change that perception.We and I know of other quality Outfitters on AH that are very focused on the clients experience on bigger areas with sustainable herds.

In saying that we must not forget the SA game farmers contribution towards conservation of certain species that was on the brink of extinction in some areas where they naturally occurred.

Regards

Rouan

Hi Rouan,
Thanks for starting this thread.
I have a question.

So, the game is managed, as per law in high fense, and with ethical management we have sustainable herds on properties large enough for this..

The question is this, how do large predators fit in this scheme?

Releasing a pride of lions even in large fenced areas with intention to be self sustainable, will have severe financial consequences for any herbivore game management program, dependent on hunting revenues.

On the other hand, I am sure that in all of South Africa not all lions are captive bread, but this is the largest gap in my knowledge and understanding of South African conservation system.

Pls, note I am not at all against captive bread lion hunting, just would like to understand better.
If hunting of lion gets to my wish list, I will certainly look for South African offers, other being much $$ hihger.

Hi Mark

Very good questions.I can only offer you my opinion with some facts and I am sure there are members here with a lot more knowledge and that should have a better answer then me.

I think when we speak about large predators we should include leopard , both spotted and brown hyenas and to a lesser extend caracal and jackal.

Just to qualify the above leopard , hyena , caracal and jackal consume more animals than people will give them credit for even on a small property as fences do not stop them from moving around.

Lions can be better controlled with fences but form an integral part of the game management on bigger properties and reserves where they occur as hunting alone don't control numbers.Most of these properties also do photographic safaris but the figures show that 21 hunters contribute 30% of the reserves income compared to 21 000 photographic tourist contributing 51% of the income per year.What is the carbon footprint of 21 000 people visiting the reserve?.Lions contribute to hunting revenu on these large free roaming properties with excess lions being hunted.Free roaming lions do generate a bigger premium , sometimes 3 x as much as captive bred lions.

There is the argument that captive bred lions ( not cage lions! ) take some hunting pressure off the wild populations.I have seen first hand where a captive bred lion actively stalked and took prey within a few days of being released.There are also cases , but need to verify , where captive bred ( again not caged ) lions have been successfully released on big properties to be self sustainable.There are strict guidelines on captive bred lions in SA and like in most things not everybody adheres to those guidelines.

Like I said before there are people with more knowledge here on AH and hope they can contribute to this post , so we can all learn.

Keep well Mark

Rouan

Dear Rouan,

Thank you for reply.

So, if I understood correctly, there are in fact, self sustainable lion prides in some sufficiently large safari concessions?

It would be also interesting to know, what would be the size of such concessions.

Do you have any idea of how large such area should be to support entire food chain with apex predators and echo system?

Another thing to consider in SA is the benefit for non game and small animals and predators from small to large. Bird life and rare indigenous animals that reap the benefits on wildlife managed propertys compared to cattle or sheep farms. Conservation benefits are huge!

Dear Rouan,

Thank you for reply.

So, if I understood correctly, there are in fact, self sustainable lion prides in some sufficiently large safari concessions?

It would be also interesting to know, what would be the size of such concessions.

Do you have any idea of how large such area should be to support entire food chain with apex predators and echo system?

Hi Mark

Yes there are quit a few properties in SA with self sustaining lions prides and other animals.Please correct me if wrong but the smallest I know of is around 19 000 acres fenced area.Some bigger properties that I know of measuring about 50 000 acres fenced do have several prides that rarely interact and keep to their respective home ranges.

@chashardy made a very good point above where home ranges of animals are smaller than you would think if they have enough food and water.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rouan

Hi Rouan
Thanks, thanks for reply. I really had no idea of what would be required size of property to support such predators, and now you have shed some very good light to this!! (y)

Dear Rouan,

Thank you for reply.

A few years ago I hunted with Coenraad Vermaak Safaris in RSA. They have several prides of lions that are naturally reproducing on their property. Its 240,000 acres with no internal fences. Thats like 375 square miles. They also have rhino's, cape Buffalo and leopard on their property. I was fortunate enough to see all of them while hunting there. Huge property with a lot of herbivores on it. Very nice place to hunt.
Bruce

Thanks Bruce!

Thank you Rouan, your insightful and factual article is much appreciated. I think it is appropriate for me to comment on some facts regarding colour variants since it can also be a controversial topic.

Growing up in Namibia, I only new the Blackface Impala, a naturally occurring colour variant of the common impala which exists in the northern part of Namibia. I have lived and travelled in all Southern African countries. At age 22, I saw my first official colour variant - the King Cheetah, and can still recall the excitement I felt!

Colour variants are incorrectly condemned as unfit products of manmade genetic manipulation or a threat to biodiversity. Instead, naturally occurring colour variants is part of the infinite beauty of creation. It only occurs in certain geographical areas and at very low percentages of about 1 % of the natural population.

The King Cheetah (Cooper’s cheetah), was discovered in Zimbabwe in 1926 by Major A. Cooper, who shot a specimen. He noted how the fur was thicker and darker than that of a normal cheetah. Black panthers could be either jaguars or leopards with a recessive genetic variation known as melanism. Several other colour variants are the result of recessive genes. Golden wildebeest was first seen in the Tuli Block in Botswana in the 1930s. Black impala occurred naturally in Limpopo in South Africa. The Burchell’s golden gemsbok, as well as the Royal or red oryx, naturally occurs in various free-roaming populations scattered across the southern regions of Namibia.

Ann van Dyk was applauded for breeding back the King Cheetah from extinction. Yet, South Africa and Namibia are unfairly condemned for successfully preserving other naturally occurring colour variants. It remains the hunter’s choice to hunt a rare colour variant or not - some years ago it would have been a big tabloid to do so due to the scarcity of the specimen. To me, it remains a highlight to see a rare colour variant, knowing that if it is allowed to roam freely in the wild, it will always remain the minority within a given species.

Hi Hendrik

Very interesting factual info.

Just shows you that the colour variants have always been there and not an unnatural genetically manipulated animal.

The different colour springbuck is a prime example.

Regards

Rouan

I think transparency is the key to so called cleaning up of the hunting industry. There are various breeding and hunting outfits in SA just like there are various hunters around the world. Some hunters want to fly in shoot something in 48 hrs and fly out again. Other hunters actually want the full safari experience of hunting only wild game in wild places.

Transparency would be one way to cater for all while tarnishing no particular party. Be honest and open as an outfitter/landowner and be honest as a hunter as to what you want. The problem comes in when a true hunter wants a wild lion on 150 000 acres but is sold a drugged out pussy cat under false pretenses, or conversely a hunter on limited time and budget wants (or a virtually promised) a lion in 48 hours on 150 000 acres. We have to state clearly AND HONESTLY what is on offer: quality, quantity, size, farm size, multiple farms, distances between farms, what's included, what's not includes, etc etc etc. The decent outfits invariably do it well, the shysters are not so transparent.

Furthermore foreign hunters must also be aware that there is a huge biltong and pot hunting public in SA that also want to hunt at least once a year but can't afford foreign prices here at home. There is a balancing act between catering for the local hunter as well as the foreign hunter. Landowners cannot do without either one. The temptation to overpopulate properties is a destructive practice but it does allow a larger quota annually to enable all clients to be satisfied.

We can't do without the proper conservation efforts and breeding programs. It is mainly South Africa that repopulates other countries when their stocks have been shot / poached out. This is a double edged sword in that "true wild farms" are more conservation orientated and loss of the "true wild hunting" experience is largely lost. It's an unfortunate truth in SA that farms are being seized and given to native individuals so the amount of land for hunting and conservation is shrinking. What we currently have has to be balanced between conservation and breeding whilst also providing hunting opportunities to both domestic and international hunters.

Hi Zambezi

Totally agree very good comment!

Another good example is the Bontebok that has been brought back from 280 total animals in Southern Africa to over 8000 currently.The down side is the over legislation and difficulty to get CITES export permits for trophies hunted.Some of being culled for meat now in SA as they don't have a future value.

Regards

Rouan

Hi Rouan,

Yeah there is always a problem when legislators and "world conservation groups" get involved with something they only understand on paper or in theory. Don't get me started on the ivory / rhino horn thing... All wild life has to pay it's way and jumbo and rhino are no exception but that's a story for another thread...

Property rights and land use are always going to be a thorny issue in SA and we have to make the best use of what is available while it is available. South Africa probably has the best conservation initiatives and practices on the continent and the continent benefits as a whole. Our hunting industry is probably the most densely populated on the continent too and it caters for everything from canned hunts to true wilderness walk and stalk hunts. It just gets a little murky between those extremes. So like I said, transparency is key.

And while we at it we can also run the shyster operators out of the industry by publicly shaming and banishing them from the industry. If we lose hunting or the conservation legs of the issue we have pretty much lost it all... There are too many waiting in the wings for hunting and landowners to fail!

Speaking of wildlife conservation, I have another question.
Hunting industry gave economical value in currency to wild animals, for each huntable species.

Hunters pay for hunt.
This generates revenue and economic motives for sustainable hunting practices.

Questions.
1. How the value of each species is determined? (for example springbok, or blesbok in high fence)
2. And how is the value of "non-managed", or "less managed" animals is determined? (for example leopard, elephant, or some PG animals in total free range, in wild open spaces, without fences)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!