Hunting Africa Advice

Bangzone

Reaction score
Deals & offers
I am looking for advice on hunting Africa. I have never been and admitadly am fishing in the dark here. My father and I have hunted all over the U.S and want to experience Africa. The goal would be to incorperate a Buffalo hunt with plain s game or the other way around more likely. Would also like to be in a place where our better halves could possibly entertain themselves with sight seeing or other things. I havee done some research but any advice on specific areas or operations where this could happen would be greatly appreciated. Also using a bow would be a bonus if possible. I am a member of many forums and generally to get advice you have to be competant enough to give some but in this case I am admitadely unable. Thank you in advance for any sound advice offered

Welcome to AH! Rest assured you will find all the info you need here for planning a great trip. Enjoy and let the adventure begin.

Welcome Bangzone

Is this an open question.

With Cape Buffalo being your driver you have many options, depending on your budget. I would suggest a 10 to 14 day safari. By no means less than 10 days unless you are pushed for time.

The following countries will provide a great experience.
1. Tanzania
2. Mozambique
3. Zimbabwe
4. South Africa
5. Namibia
We have some very qualified PH on here that will be able to take care of your hunting experience. Some are dedicated to archery hunters. Your trophy success percentage will increase if you use a rifle.

What would help our members in providing you a more qualified answer would be the plains game you would be looking for.

Example:
Priority
Cape Buffalo

If available:
1. Nyala
2. Kudu
3. Water Buck
4. Eland
5. Wart Hog
6. Impala

Then a maybe list:
1. Duiker
2. Zebra
3. Baboon

You can put a packaged together with your selected animals. Making sure you go after your primary trophy first or second. Sometimes while making a stalk you just come across another very nice trophy and then you have to decide to shoot or pass. (I have learned a bird in the hand is better that 2 in the bush any day) You have to realize many stalks are a bust, and sometimes you get a reprieve on another nice animal.

With accommodation, The luxury tents provide in Tanzania to the up scale 5 star resorts from South Africa will have all bases covered. What can you live with and what are you looking for.

I would try and add a few days prior or after your safari to go walk around or site seeing. Every country has something for you to look at.

Glad to have you on AH. A couple of questions:

1. What is your budget for the hunt?

2. Are you open to hunting large high fence ranches or completely free range?

3. What types of plains game do you want?

This will help people in giving you suggestions. Look through the archives here on AH and read about hunts. Feel free to ask questions about specific outfitters. All the best.

Welcome!! My friend, you have come to the right place.. Just know once you go you will have to go again so be ready. If you can -definitely go to one of the conventions in January, either the Dallas Safari Club or Safari Club International. You will be able to talk to folks in person and it's a helluva good time. I prefer the DSC myself just because Vegas is bad for me and the Dallas show is more intimate. You will be blown away.

Good luck!!

My first time to hunt Africa will be this June. Though choice of PH and location was made before I found this forum. The forum did further confirm that I had made a good choice. Currently, I am reading through this forum and I am getting an idea of PH's that I would like to hunt with in the future.

You get a great idea about a person when they are willing to help people on this forum that are not even their clients. You get a idea of what a person is like when they can argue their point without resorting to name calling and insults. Read this forum and pay attention to the PH's that post. So far I have found a bunch of good people. I am thinking that another reason to come back to Africa is to hunt with these people. It may take many trips.:D

Oh Yea! Welcome to AH!:happywave:

I am looking for advice on hunting Africa. I have never been and admitadly am fishing in the dark here. My father and I have hunted all over the U.S and want to experience Africa. The goal would be to incorperate a Buffalo hunt with plain s game or the other way around more likely. Would also like to be in a place where our better halves could possibly entertain themselves with sight seeing or other things. I havee done some research but any advice on specific areas or operations where this could happen would be greatly appreciated. Also using a bow would be a bonus if possible. I am a member of many forums and generally to get advice you have to be competant enough to give some but in this case I am admitadely unable. Thank you in advance for any sound advice offered

I have several observations after safaris with several South Africa outfitters.

1. Always get references and actually speak with them. Get at least 2 and 3 are better. I've never had a bad safari but I've spoken with those who have.

2. In regards to wives, my wife would have been very bored at the places I went. Your wife may be different. Your outfitter should be able to tell you what entertainment will be available for your girl.

3. Every outfitter I went with was able to accomodate bow hunters.

I would suggest a trip to Dallas for the DSC convention in January or Vegas for the SCI convention in February to get an initial feel for what's available and where.

Welcome to AH.

Start reading and you will soon be able to ask all kinds of informed questions.

Good luck with your planning.

Thank you for the advice guys. I should have clarified we are looking for a Safari where we can take a wide variety of plains game species while still having some what of luxury accommodations. The buffalo would be more or less the primary option if available and in our price range.

James and pretty much everyone else have provided spot on info, have a look at references, multiple if possible, on the non hunting activities look at what is available from various outfitters and make sure to set them up before hand as far as possible.

Welcome to the site, don't worry you will soon get the hang of it all it all seems daunting at first, but it gets interesting very quickly.. :)

My best always.

Bangzone - Dangerous Game Safari with plains game.

We will go over some bases from ground "0"

My thought on this is you should each have your own PH operating out of the same camp. And for best chance of success i would suggest you take both a rifle and bow on your first safari. Using your rifle 1st and bow secondary. Taking a buffalo with a bow is possible, however difficult.

You are concerned about your finances and who is not these days.

Bottom line for a 10 day DG safari before you pull the string or trigger is per couple. $15,500+

Airfare start at about $2,000 each for round trip.
For added days and or connections - Motels and meals are extra depending on where you stay and eat.

PH fees for DG is approximately $1,000 a day and 10 days would be $10,000
PH fees for PG is approximately $450 a day and 10 days would be $4,500

Non hunter daily fees will starts at approximately $150 a day and moves up depending on lodge accommodations so starting at $1,500

Below are a few of the more popular plains game animals and approximate trophy fees, i will list a few and there are too many to cover.
I should note that different areas have different rates depending on availability. That where country and outfitter come into play.
You may be should look at a packaged deal offered on AH.
Trophy Fees
DG - Cape buffalo starts at about $3,500 and goes up

PS - Starting point and up
Sable - $3,500

Eland - $2,000
Waterbuck
Nyala

Kudu - $1,500

Cape or red hartebeest $1,000
Zebra
Black Wildebeest
Blue wildebeest
Bush buck

Bleesbuck - $500
Warthog
Impala

Now if you have additional air charters the price goes up.
You will find that doing your research you will find some PH's that own there own high fence ranches that are able to offer you a better rate, you will just have to seek them out.

Have you considered a cull cape buffalo cow or bull safari and then on to plains game? that could be an option for you.

Thank you for the advice guys. I should have clarified we are looking for a Safari where we can take a wide variety of plains game species while still having some what of luxury accommodations. The buffalo would be more or less the primary option if available and in our price range.

Bangzone,

There are many great areas to hunt buff and plains game, but the combination with the sightseeing is a tough one. I would suggest one of the low fence areas surrounding Kruger. great buffalo and PG hunting as well as close by sightseeing options for the women. Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll get you some additional information.

Bangzone,
If you haven't already done so, I recommend that you read The African Experience by Craig Boddington. It covers a lot of the basics. Read everything that you can get your hands on. Watch as many shows about hunting in Africa as you can. Even with all of that, when you finally get there for your first safari you will be blown away. And, yes there will be more than one safari. It's addictive.

I agree with the recommendations that others have given that you go to a major show and talk with outfitters and hunters. However, when talking with outfitters remember that they will be trying to sell on booking with them. Therefore, a bit of skepticism can't hurt. By all means, as others have advised, check references. Also, when you have narrowed the selection to one or two, check their reputations on forums like this one.

I'm sitting here kicking myself because I haven't made my plane reservations for next year. However, I will have more latitude on dates than I did this year. This year I found it quite difficult to get flights. I ended having to make my safari a couple of days shorter than I had planned. So, my advice is that you make your flight arrangements as far in advance as you possibly can. Most airlines will let you book flights up to 1 year ahead of the actual travel. The farther ahead that you make your reservations, the more flexibility you will have.

I have been told and have read the advice that when hunting in Africa, if there is a particular animal that you want to take (e.g., buffalo), you should concentrate on it to exclusion of everything else (even that 64" kudu that the tracker just spotted). I don't have enough experience to comment on the soundness of this advice. I will leave that to the experts on this forum.

Good luck.

Mtgoat......If my tracker see's a 64" kudu, I don't care what I'm tracking, the game plan just changed!!! :barmy:

All kidding aside....good advice to stick with your priority animal. Just think about what it would take to sway you before hand. Example: 64" Kudu, 30" Waterbuck, 30" Nyala, etc.... If you run across super exceptional animals, take them if funds allow.

Buff-Buster - me too.

I went to Africa with the mindset that if my PH told that I needed to shoot an animal, even if it wasn't on my list, I would do it (if I could possibly afford it). I had that discussion with my PH the first morning. It never happened, but at least we had an understanding.

All kidding aside....good advice to stick with your priority animal. Just think about what it would take to sway you before hand. Example: 64" Kudu, 30" Waterbuck, 30" Nyala, etc.... If you run across super exceptional animals, take them if funds allow.

You see my 64 inch Kudu, you leave him alone, send me a picture and get after that Buffalo!

Welcome to AH, Bangzone !

Bangzone, Will it only be 2 of you or are the non hunting excursions meant for spouses?

I would love to discuss this safari with you and I am sure we can work something out I believe that you will enjoy the Kwalata experience.

Feel free to contact me should you like any additional information.

Once again welcome.

My best always

bangzone- welcome to the forum and let the fun begin!
You'll find that this is the best forum on the net and lots of folks here will answer any questions you may have. Read as much of the posting as you can to get a feeling for safaris in general.
i have helped 6 first time African hunters to get there in the last 4 years and I'll be watching your posts so maybe I can help out with your questions.
I see your from Pennsylvania so maybe the SCI convention in Las Vegas or the DSC one in Dallas is out of the question but unquestionably it would do you a lot of good from an education stand point.
There are lots of good outfitters here on this forum who can provide what you need but you need to define a little more closely what you want in terms of budget and animals and what your non-hunter wants out of the experience. Then better help can be provided.
The planning is half the fun, really, and once you get there you'll be overloaded with new sights and sounds and smells.
Read my signature line-It's true!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg