AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
PA, OH, NM, ND, AL, FL, MD; Spain, EC/KZN/MP South Africa, Zimbabwe x 2, Mozambique, Cameroon
I've received a few questions on H&C's rates from my recent Safari. I will post my quote for the work I am having done as well as the 2017 rate sheet I received today.

They are located in Port Elizabeth.

Please note that the quote also includes the Kudu core polishing.

Edge

Attachments

• Quote 095 - clean.pdf
    184.9 KB · Views: 374
  • US $ Price List - 2017.pdf
    116 KB · Views: 440
Looks like a slight increase from my work last year. Much cheaper and better work than what you'll get out of Botswana.
image.jpg

Last edited:
If keeping just the horns of an animal what are the procedures to get them back to the USA?
Thanks..
clayton

@Clayton d ,

This is my first time but the basics are you will need to have them dipped and packed in Africa, shipped to the US with the proper paperwork to clear the US side of things. I'm going to use Coppersmiths to handle the paperwork once the crate reaches the US. There are additional procedures if you have swine, primates or CITES listed animals. Call SSI (a sponsor here) or visit Coppersmiths website for all the details.

Edge

Thanks for the help/info.

Was hoping it was simple as boxing them up and sending them over the sea. Guess I now have to do some research/ homework.

After all the customs fees, fish and wildlife fees, coppersmiths etc, what should I be looking at for total cost once in the US?

Seems like the price of a couple sets of horns is gonna cost me a little more than I imagined. Ha

FWIW I would shop elsewhere as I was not impressed at all.

I think I have imported something like 60+ animals with 7 shipments from SA and Namibia.

Worst skull work I have yet to see from SA, and first time I lost D&P salted skin from a hunt. Counting on Dennis to work his usual professional magic on the rest.

They overboiled one skull so bad they wrote on it to replace it and still shipped it!

Don't even mention refund; then its the ignore you option.

Yaa, I know there will be a bunch who think they are great, blah blah blah......guess I'm not feeling the love when its my cash out of pocket.

My fault as I put the hunt together quickly and should have researched better options like I usually do. Ironic I drove near one place I used in the past on my own a few days later and should have stuffed the load in a car and delivered myself. I dried a Tahr skin and cleaned the skull in a hotel room, skins and heads in a rental would have been no big deal. LOL

Clayton d.
Assuming they are non CITES species (most plains game) horns on plaques (AKA European mounts) are simple and easy. Even warthog skulls on plaques are straight forward. They're considered finished by CBP Ag and easy to take care of yourself. I won't say you can't use Coppersmith or any other broker, I will say you don't need to. They just need to come in, be inspected by USFWS and CBP Agriculture, pay your Customs duty of $9 and you have them. In Anchorage, Alaska where I'm at the shipper in Africa let me know when it was shipped and to where. Then when they arrived at the cargo carrier here I contacted USFWS who did an inspection with CBP Ag to make sure they were all licensed and clean within a couple days. And then I got the stamped Bill of Lading I took to Customs and took care of that declaration. They clear the Bill, then I picked it up. Finished mounted heads work the same coming in. Dip and pack to a taxidermist is more technical if there's pigs. CITES species get more technical too for USFWS permits.

Thanks Ryan!!

I don't plan on doing any kind of mount. Just wanting the horns only . To make various things , e.g. Knife handles to ????
Do all the same rules / laws , shipping , still apply?
Sorry all the question , all of this is new to me..

Thanks ,
Clayton

on my flight back i noticed one couple that had some kudu horns, just the horns no skull wrapped in bubble wrap and they had no issues at customs in Germany when we landed. I was watching to see if they had problems. Likely bought at a store though vs actually hunting them

Thanks Ryan!!

I don't plan on doing any kind of mount. Just wanting the horns only . To make various things , e.g. Knife handles to ????
Do all the same rules / laws , shipping , still apply?
Sorry all the question , all of this is new to me..

Thanks ,
Clayton
For swine and ruminants (antelope, not zebra) both say the same thing so I'll just show ruminant. You're OK as long as they're all cleaned up.

Zebra bones require a vet cert if you're getting one and bringing back any of it's bones. For those most go with flat skin to keep it simple. Once tanned, it's all good if it's a Burchell's zebra. Mountain zebra is CITES, needs a permit.

Here's what I have from the USDA Animal Products Manual (link below) in the Trophy section.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads/apm.pdf

table 3-20-9

p3-20-19

Ruminant bones

and

Other Ruminant tissues including Horns, Skulls, Teeth, and Tusks

Clean, dry, and free from undried

pieces of flesh, hide, and sinew, and

offered for entry as trophies1 or offered

for consignment to a museum

RELEASE

Note 1 ( see the little 1 up there)

1 USDA defines trophies as the bones (including skulls, antlers, teeth, horns, and hoofs) of an animal carcass that can be

used as a remembrance or souvenir. of “the hunt” for personal use only. A copy of the importer’s hunting license/permit, or

other documentation clearly demonstrating the lawful possession of the trophy from the country of origin must be issued by

the foreign government (at the Federal, Regional or Departmental level), not by the outfitter. This documentation must be

in English or must be accompanied by a government-endorsed English translation. This documentation should identify the

animal species and, if applicable, indicate the quantity of animals allowed to be hunted. USDA limits the quantity of bone

trophies allowed to be imported to those taken from two animals unless a greater quantity is authorized by the hunting license/

permit or other documentation as indicated above. Bone trophies not meeting the above conditions will be regulated

by species as a consignment of commercial bones.

Attachments

• apm.pdf
    14 MB · Views: 410
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross