Hunter mistook for elk killed

89906358_2605243166427596_7664233229766885376_n.jpg

It will NEVER make any kind of sense how IDJUTS take the shots they do...do the things they do!! Shoot into brush or at sounds or in the dark or not knowing where their hunting partner is or ANY of the stuuuuupid chit that these IDJUTS do! I mean COME ON FOR CHITS SAKE!!!!! You have got to be an absolute FOOL to accidentally shoot someone while hunting! Buck/Elk, Bear fever my ass...be a grown as MAN already...a REAL MAN who knows how to handle his business or at least while learning to handle his business he doesnt do the dumbest shit you can imagine!
All the more reason for hunter safety courses with several scenarios to cover just such things..

The problems with hunter safety is that they still can not weed out the idiots.

To purchase a hunting license in Colorado you have to of passed a hunter safety course if you were born after 1949. The shooter was young enough that he had to of passed one in order to purchase a license or put in for the draw.

It just comes down to the fact that he didn't make sure of what he was shooting when he pulled the trigger. The unit that he was hunting in has a 4pt or better requirement for elk for all seasons except perhaps for archery, I didn't look. So if the shooter had a bull tag he didn't wait to see the number of points, and if he had a cow tag he didn't wait to make sure what he was shooting at was a cow.

They don't. I will tell you however, that scopes aren't allowed on muzzleloaders during muzzleloading season in Colorado, but that's no excuse for what happened in this instance.
@CoElkHunter
May not be able to have scopes but surely the mark 1 eyeball sight was working.
Bob

To hit a man at 300 yards, with a whelen?!?! No I doubt it lol
Probably .243
@R.M.C.
If you think the Whelen ain't that good you stand at 300 yards and bend over facing away from the shooter.
They won't find the entry hole but will see the exit and wonder what happened.
Bob

All the more reason for hunter safety courses with several scenarios to cover just such things..
You sir are correct with that statement! Hunter safety courses which most states do require and still the inexcusable happens!

People often don't think about the consequences of their actions until it's too late. I had an instance hunting long ago that could have ended badly.

I was hunting deer. I'd gotten permission to hunt a section next to an area where no one had permission. I'd scouted the place out for several mornings and knew a couple bucks would show up around sunrise and jump the fence, always in about the same place.

On the morning of opening I arrived when it was dark and laid down in the fence row about 75 yards from where they usually crossed. The bucks showed up on time, jumped the fence about 50 yards from me and I shot one of them with my 300wm. One shot and he dropped immediately.

As I walked up to the buck another hunter appears from behind a straw bail about 50 yards beyond and directly in line with the dead deer. I politely asked what he was doing and if he had permission, he admitted he didn't have, didn't even know who owned the ground. I asked him if he thought that 24 inches of compressed straw would have stopped that 180gr bullet if I'd have missed? He was apologetic to the point that he cleaned the deer and helped me load it. But still, it scared the hell out of me knowing I was shooting in the direction of another person. He had a dumbshit moment that could have ended badly for both of us. And I probably wouldn't have even known he was dead behind the bale.

People often don't think about the consequences of their actions until it's too late. I had an instance hunting long ago that could have ended badly.

I was hunting deer. I'd gotten permission to hunt a section next to an area where no one had permission. I'd scouted the place out for several mornings and knew a couple bucks would show up around sunrise and jump the fence, always in about the same place.

On the morning of opening I arrived when it was dark and laid down in the fence row about 75 yards from where they usually crossed. The bucks showed up on time, jumped the fence about 50 yards from me and I shot one of them with my 300wm. One shot and he dropped immediately.

As I walked up to the buck another hunter appears from behind a straw bail about 50 yards beyond and directly in line with the dead deer. I politely asked what he was doing and if he had permission, he admitted he didn't have, didn't even know who owned the ground. I asked him if he thought that 24 inches of compressed straw would have stopped that 180gr bullet if I'd have missed? He was apologetic to the point that he cleaned the deer and helped me load it. But still, it scared the hell out of me knowing I was shooting in the direction of another person. He had a dumbshit moment that could have ended badly for both of us. And I probably wouldn't have even known he was dead behind the bale.
If your shot had been a through and through it could have been tragic if it was in line with him.

Rule 4 "Know your target and what is behind it."

It reminds of a case several years ago when a man shot a woman at 200 yards(!) with a handgun because "he thought it was a Deer." 40 mins after sunset so it was an actual shot in the dark. People like this are just shooting at movement.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross