Hunt Over 70 Species On 188 Square Miles With HUNTERSHILL safaris

Discussion in 'Hunting Outfitters' started by HUNTERSHILL safaris, May 16, 2019.

1. HUNTERSHILL safaris

HUNTERSHILL safaris SPONSOR AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
    dsc-0535-resize.a8aef43531a5286875d4d2b25288a719.jpg

Welcome To HUNTERSHILL safaris
    ~ 188 square miles private hunting area
    ~ 70 species
    ~ Hunting South Africa Eastern Cape since 2002
    ~ The ultimate hunting experience of a Lifetime

Huntershill offers a unique hunting experience in South Africa’s Eastern Cape. This large game farm of 55 000 acres, offers trophy hunting, bow hunting, fishing and wing shooting. We also have exclusive hunting rights on an adjacent 50,000+ acres. In 2015, Huntershill acquired a second game farm, Rocklands’ near Fort Beaufort, about an hour’s drive from the main farm. Rocklands offers a different dimension in hunting for the hunter who wants something different. A different, denser bush habitat. More recently , we added two more ranches to our portfolio - Cherokee Game Farm is in Bela Bela Limpopo and and HuntersHaven is in the Eastern Cape, and in 2018 we acquired Comre Safari.

welcome-01.jpg

Huntershill is owner managed and run. Our hands-on approach means that we will always ensure that every stay is enjoyable and that high standards are maintained.

We offer a variety of hunting packages, from novice to expert and we use only the best professional hunters.

Buffalo hunt South Africa by HUNTERSHILL safaris posted May 15, 2019 at 3:12 PM

97% of our international hunters return to Huntershill – a testament to our passion for giving our clients an excellent experience.

welcome-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019

2. HUNTERSHILL safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
    About Hunterhill Safaris

banner-02.jpg

Huntershill Safaris is located on the malaria free Wildschutsberg Game Farm in the picturesque foothills of the Stormberg mountains near Queenstown in South Africa’s Eastern Cape Province. The Game Farm is 55 000 acres (22 000 hectares) in extent and is some 25 km long and 15k wide (15 x 9 miles.)

The diverse terrain is home to over 70 different animal species, including many rarely seen species of buck from all over the world. We have rhino, cheetah, buffalo, hippo, brown and spotted hyena, wild dogs, leopard, tigers and lions for viewing, including magnificent white lions and white tigers.

This premier Safari destination offers trophy hunting, bow hunting, fishing (carp and barbel) and wing shooting. Buck available for hunting include sable, kudu, gemsbok, blue and black wildebeest, eland, waterbuck, nyala, blesbok, impala, steenbok, duiker, bushbuck, springbok, hartebeest, buffalo, arabian oryx, axis dee, hog deer, pere david deer, nubian ibex, and reedbuck. Also available are other mammals such as baboon and warthog.

[​IMG]

Huntershill Safaris offers a variety of different hunting packages. We take each individual’s specific requirements into account and can also design tailor-made packages with your requirements in mind. We can also arrange your other activities during your stay in South Africa, including game fishing, tours to Cape Town, the Garden Route, the Wine Route, Addo Elephant Park, golf or a Township Tour. We have many other activities - please ask.

At Huntershill Safaris we specialize in making your hunting Safari an experience of a lifetime. Our Safaris are led by experienced professional hunters and trackers who conduct both rifle and bow hunting safaris, and are committed to animal conservation, fair chase hunting and giving our guests a thrilling experience to make your hunt a memorable one.

Our wide-ranging hunting properties offer a large selection of plains game and other animals. We guarantee to provide you excellent opportunities to shoot top quality trophies. All trophies hunted at Huntershill Safaris are of a high standard.

Due to the cold and snow in winter we have no ticks and other disease bearing insects, so our game is healthy and a wide variety of species and excellent specimens can be hunted. The large area means that game does not become habituated to humans, which makes your hunt more challenging and satisfying.

[​IMG]

Huntershill is owner managed and run. This hands-on approach means that we will always ensure that every stay is enjoyable and that high standards are maintained.

The Wildschutsberg Game Farm is run on highly ethical grounds and has a total commitment to conservation and sustainability. We have ongoing breeding programmes and are proud to have grown the numbers and quality of all our species since the farm was first established in 2000. We have expanded the size of the farm and have reclaimed large areas which have previously been barren or overgrazed by domestic animals. We now have herds of buck that are extinct in their native habitats.

Huntershill Safaris was designed as a home away from home. You can feel the peace and tranquillity the moment you arrive. Lots may have changed since Hemingway’s impressive big game hunting colonial Africa of the 1930’s but the thrill still remains in the modern safari experience, and we at Huntershill Safaris strive to give our clients the hunting experience of a lifetime. The fact that 97% of our international hunters return, sometimes with their families, is a testament to the wonderful experience to be enjoyed at Huntershill.

banner-01.jpg

3. HUNTERSHILL safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
    Meet our Team of PH's

banner-06.jpg

Hannes

I became a PH in 2016. While I was growing up, I had a passion for hunting as I was a young boy who lived on a farm. Hunting has taught me so much. It is more than just shooting an animal and making it a career, it is an absolute dream come true. Without hunting there would be no conservation, with no conservation there would no wildlife. Let Africa live!

Benji
    I became a PH in 2006. I love the hunting and the outdoors and meeting new hunters from around the world. My favorite animal to hunt is a Bushbuck it is very challenging, and it takes lots of skill and luck to get a good ram. Hunting and fishing are my hobbies even when I am not doing it as my job. You are able to learn so much from hearing about other people’s experiences. You are never too old to learn new stuff.

Jaco
    I shot my first Kudu bull when I was 8 years old, I still have the scar to prove it! I have been a registered PH since 2007 and have been hunting full time since then. I have always love the outdoors and never saw myself in an office environment dealing with paperwork. My favorite animals to hunt are the spiral horns, especially a big Kudu and bushbuck because they are very secretive and weary.

Carl
    I grew up hunting by living on a farm in the Eastern Cape. I become as PH as soon as I could. I became a PH because I love hunting and the outdoors, it is also a great way to meet new people. My favourite animal to Hunt is a Kudu because of the challenge.

Jason
    I started hunting at the young age of 11 and guided my first animal at 13. In 2009 my passion become a reality where I got my PH for big game. I am currently licensed in the Eastern Cape, Western Cape and Zambia.

My favourite animal to hunt is the Vaal Rhebuck and any free range kudu bulls. The tiny 10 also have a special place in my heart, as I believe this is the ultimate list to complete in Africa.

I became a PH because I am a peoples person and nothing brings me more joy than to see a client who has dreamt about his African Safari shoot what has been on his wish list. To me this is the best job in the whole world as nothing can beat sitting around the campfire making plans to what you will do the next day. You can sit the whole night planning all the finer details but everything can change a second the next day when you’re out and nothingn brings me more joy. It is the thrill of the unknown that keeps us hunters hooked.

To me hunting is all about conservation, the people we bring together and the people and communities that benefit from hunting is massive. Huntershill strives to sell not only an animal but a whole experience and I am so lucky to be part of that. May I do this until the day I die.

[​IMG]

Boyce
    Myself and my wife are based at Rocklands just outside Fort Beaufort. We absolutely love being in the hospitality industry. I have always wanted to be a PH, I have always loved hunting and in 2005 I finally starting to live my passion. I got my PH license then and have never looked back.

My favourite animal to hunt is a Bushbuck, it is a very shy and elusive animal and it takes lots of time and effort to get a good ram.

Hunting has allowed me to make friends with all sorts of people from around the world, allowing me to make so many connections. Hunting has also allowed me to create a good life for myself and my family.

Lloyd
    I started hunting at the young age of 13, the first animal I shot was a Blesbuck. From then on I was hooked. I become a PH in 2015 and have never looked back.

My favourite animal to hunt is a Buffalo or a Leopard. The feeling when you’re on a dangerous game hunt can’t be compared to anything.

Being a professional hunter was my dream and I am so glad I am living out my passion everyday when I hunt at Huntershill.

One of my favourite types of hunting is with hounds.

Johan
    My first animal I ever shot was a Kudu on my 7th birthday, from then on you can say the rest is history.

I become a professional hunter in 1996, some might say I did it because of temporary insanity… I often agree. Although with that being said, I love being in the outdoors and meeting new people.

My favorite hunts to go on are Buffalo and Kudu hunts as I find them more thrilling.

Brett
    I became a PH in 2013, my favourite animal to hunt is a kudu and warthog. My love for the outdoors and hunting made me pursue my passion as a Proffesional Hunter. I am a strong believer in conservation, I am an honorary Ranger at the Lawrence DE Lange Game reserve in Queenstown. By being a Ranger I am able to be very involved in wildlife conservation in our community.

[​IMG]

4. HUNTERSHILL safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
    Hunting at Huntershill Safaris

[​IMG]

We have designed hunting packages to suit all hunters and budgets. These are shown below. Any package can be enhanced with extra animals – our price list is below. We can also tailor make a package to your specific requirements. Just contact us for further information.

Huntershill
    Hunting at Huntershill is superb. Winters in the Eastern Cape are often belows freezing so we have few ticks and other parasites. This means that our animals are mainly disease free. Most hunting is done during the cooler months, April to mid-September.

We also have other great hunting locations where we can offer different hunting experiences.

Rocklands
    Rocklands, in Fort Beaufort is less than one hour’s drive from Huntershill. It has its own lodge, pool and excellent, but more challenging hunting.

Cherokee Game Ranch
    Cherokee Game Ranch is an extensive breading and hunting farm privately tucked away in the majestic mountains of the Henderson Valley, just outside Bela Bela, a short drive from Johannesburg. We have a few beautifully renovated chalets on the property that will provide you a restful stay, and we are in the process of constructing a new main lodge. We aim to provide you with the best quality game and experience while hunting and staying on Cherokee.

Huntershaven
    Huntershaven is near Cookhouse in the Eastern Cape and offers yet another dimension to your hunting experience.

[​IMG]

5. HUNTERSHILL safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
    Hunting with Huntershill Safaris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. HUNTERSHILL safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
    Accommodation with Huntershill Safaris

[​IMG]

The Lodge at Huntershill Safaris
    Huntershill Safaris offers comfortable thatched accommodation with friendly attentive service and down-to-earth hospitality where guests are made to feel at home. On request, clients are met upon arrival at the East London airport and returned upon completion of the safari.

We offer a variety of accommodation, with tea / coffee making facilities in all rooms:

The Thomas Baines Lodge
    • Four en-suite rooms housed in one complex with communal lounge for families
    The Big Five Cottages and The Poplars
    • 9 luxury thatched stone cottages which sleep two people, facing the Poplar plantation
    • en-suite shower
    • inter-leading family rooms available
    The Mountain View Luxury Chalets
    • 2 spacious free-standing chalets with en-suite bathroom
    • mountain views
    • fireplace
    There is also a separate lodge for professional hunters.

The main building houses reception, the lounge, bar and dining room. Come and indulge in our exceptional service and superb cuisine. Menus are altered on a daily basis and provide guests with excellent home-style cooking.

The Lapa and Boma is a place where scrumptious fire-side meals are prepared around the camp fire. This is the place where guests get together for sun-downers in the bush and where hunters exchange stories under the African night skies.

Lazy afternoons are best spent at the solar heated pool where guests can unwind and relax. Peace and tranquillity is guaranteed.

[​IMG]

For the energetic there is a fully equipped gymnasium with over 70 pieces of equipment and a squash court.

There are several excellent examples of bushman paintings in the mountains which are still not fully explored. Some of the bushman paintings were painstakingly reproduced by Stephen Townley Basset in 2005/6 and these reproductions hang in the dining room.

We can arrange outings for those who do not want to join the hunters. Options include hikes and walks, photographic safaris, and visits to nearby towns. We have a small library and a selection of wines.

We also have a second hunting location, Rocklands, in Fort Beaufort, less than one hour’s drive away. Rocklands has its own lodge, pool and splendid hunting.

[​IMG]

7. HUNTERSHILL safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
  8. HUNTERSHILL safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
    Our Staff at Huntershill Safaris

Lodge manager
    Cherelene

Cherelene has been lodge manageress for the past two & a half years. She, like many of our clients can’t stay away and has come back after working for us many years ago.

She loves meeting new clients, it is especially great for her that Huntershill has so many returning clients as they become friends.

Chefs
    Max (Head Chef)

Max has been a chef since 2000. He has been exposed to many different cuisines, but his passion lies in cooking with vension and seafood.

Max is a very hard worker and working in the hospitality industry one needs to learn to be flexible, honest and loyal. Qualities which we know Max possess. Max also copes well with pressure and is dedicated to make your food and dining experience the best he can, always! He doesn’t mind going the extra mile to keep our clients happy.

Vherrel
    Vherrel has been a chef since 2011. He loves working with curries, fish and pasta. He always has a smile on his face and is ready to help anyone with what they need. He is honest, reliable and a hard worker in the kitchen. He strongly believes customer service is the best way to keep clients happy, and everything he does is based on that.

Bar Staff
    Thomas

Thomas has been working at Huntershill for 11 years, Thomas works in the gardens and around the farm during the day and at night he works at the bar. He loves working behind the bar as he gets to meet new people and learn about different cultures. Thomas is very friendly and always has a smile on his face, ready to help you with anything you need.

Aubrey
    Aubrey has been working at Huntershill for 15 years , his friendly face will is one of the people who will be there to collect you from the airport. In the evenings he helps as barman, he likes working behind the bar as he gets to hear stories about how other people live. He loves it when clients become part of the Huntershill family through coming back year after year. He is a humble, friendly and hard working guy.

[​IMG]

9. HUNTERSHILL safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
    Wildlife & Conservation at Huntershill Safaris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Therack likes this.

10. HUNTERSHILL safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
    Conservation at Huntershill Safaris

banner-03.jpg

Greg Harvey is committed to increasing both the quantity and the quality of the game on the farm. He has imported various species from other African countries and further afield and regularly travel the world meeting other hunters and conservationists. On the farm are several species of buck that have been hunted to extinction in their native lands. Huntershill regularly acquires excess animals from zoos and has often exchanged animals with East London and Johannesburg Zoos and has supplied animals to other zoos.

When Greg acquired the various portions of land each one was badly damaged through overgrazing because farmers typically kept stock close to the farmhouses to avoid predators. Tenant farmers particularly had only a short-term view and allowed the land to deteriorate badly, while overgrazing the closest fields. Greg has slowly rehabilitated virtually every part of the extended farm, a process which takes many years. Where before there was devastation there is now lush grassland and savanna, sustaining herds of game.

The process has paid off. Here is a quote from a visitor in early 2011 “As a regular visitor to game parks and game lodges in South Africa and throughout Southern Africa I thought I’d seen the best that is on offer. Until I visited Wildschutsberg. On this afternoon’s drive, on one hill I saw eland, sable, zebra, black, white and normal springbok, waterbuck, impala, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest and red hartebeest. And not in small numbers, but in small herds. As we drove along the track the red hartebeest almost seemed to be racing us as they traversed the side of the mountain. Later in the 2-hour drive we saw rhino (a mother and calf), lechwe, copper springbok, gemsbok, fallow deer and more. Although the farm is vast, each time we crossed to a new area we saw more. I have never seen such an abundance and variety of game in one place. To top it all, the scenery is breathtaking”.

Greg has reintroduced several species and has brought in other species to enrich the wildlife experience. Some examples are:
    • In 2002 we brought in 10 Scimitar Horned Oryx – the herd is now some 100 strong
    • In 2003 we imported a small number of Hog Deer (originally from Pakistan) and Sanbar Deer (originally from India); both herds now stand at over 100
    • In 2003 we brought in a pair of Pere Davids Deer from China - these are now extinct in the wild. Our herd now stands at over 100, which is probably the largest free-roaming herd in Africa
    • We have 5 types of springbok – normal, copper, white, black,Kalahari
    • We now have a breeding herd of Arabian Oryx
    • We have a group of Asian Water Buffalo that have started to breed
    • Our Indian Black buck are now a herd of about 20
    • Our Axis Deer herd has grown from 8 to 70
    • In 2010 we brought in Red Deer from Europe and now have over 60
    • In 2013 we brought in move Mouflon Sheep and now have over 50
    • In 2013 we brought in 5 Gayal from Indonesia
    • In 2014 we brought in 2 Golden Wilderbeest for breeding
    • In 2014 we started a Golden Oryx (Gemsbok) program
    • In 2015 we rescued a rhino cow from Kenton on Sea and released her

Greg’s philosophy is to grow the herds until they are fully sustainable and only then allow hunting, when older and better specimens can be hunted.

Hunting brings in much needed foreign exchange to South Africa, not just at Huntershill. Most hunters visit other areas of South Africa as part of their trip. International hunters who have visited Huntershill have been very generous to the local community and have helped to build classrooms and other facilities at local schools.

At Huntershill we have established a mini zoo, and Greg never misses an opportunity to acquire new species and has recently added finches to the aviary, more waterfowl, pigs and other animals.

Educational tours are a regular occurrence, which Huntershill does not charge for. Children are brought by coach from various surrounding schools, sometimes 80-90 at a time. At Huntershill they are given the opportunity to see game and domestic animals and are given talks on farming, ecology, conservation and wildlife. A snack and a cool drink makes this a wonderful experience for the children.

There is no waste at Huntershill. Wherever possible everything is recycled. Hunted animals are skinned on the premises and the venison is used on the premises or transported to our butchery for processing. Skins are sold for leather, bones are used to make bonemeal and the offal for pets mince.

Huntershill is situated on Wildschutsberg Farm, where lucerne is grown for feed in harsh winters. Some lucerne is baled and transported to the game farm for the buck and other animals, while the non-hunted buck are allowed in to the fields for grazing. In the summer cattle from the farm are released into some areas, where they eat the longer grass, making the shorter grass more palatable to the grazers.

In 2015, Greg acquired his eighth rhino, a rhino cow. She was rescued from a game farm some 300 kilometres away and transported by Greg’s expert team released in the mountains above Huntershill. Over time she will encounter the other rhino and hopefully breed with them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. HUNTERSHILL safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
    Pascal, also known as @One Day... on the forum has been hunting Europe, America, Canada and Africa for 40 years. He came to hunt at Huntershill in 2018 and developed a friendship with Greg, our owner; Jason, our Head PH; Johan, our General Manager; and all the staff. As Huntershill continues to attract more hunters from America and Europe, we asked Pascal to represent us on AfricaHunting.com.

Feel free to reach out to Pascal Berlioux (@One Day...) for questions, discussion, support, etc. see his contact info here below:

Pascal Berlioux - Representing HUNTERSHILL safaris
    pberlioux@huntershillsafarisusa.com / Cell +1 (928) 637-3037
    www.huntershillsafaris.co.za

pascal.png

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019

12. One Day...

One Day... GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Europe (North, South, West), USA (East, West), Canada (British Columbia, Quebec, Newfoundland), Africa (Eastern Cape, Limpopo)
    Hello AfricaHunting.com "Brothers in Arms." Many of you know me, and I know and enjoy many of you, for your knowledge, your humor and your camaraderie. AH has been my "secret garden." Sharing with you, learning from you, just chatting with you, has helped me retain some level of sanity waiting for the next big plane flying south :)

I really enjoyed Huntershill for 12 days in August 2018 and reported on them when I was just a happy client. I enjoyed it so much that I re-booked immediately 12 days for July 2019 to collect Sable, Roan, Nyala, Lechwe, Vaal Rhebok, Tsessebe, etc... I will let you know how that goes too.

I am not, nor do I intend to become, a professional safari agent etc. I have a very full time job that I love. But I enjoy reading, listening and talking "safari," answering questions, sharing my experience, what worked great for me and what did not work so well, and helping others discover Africa. I really believe that African hunting as we love it will not exist for my sons and grandsons to enjoy in 10 or 20 years, if we do not help others discover safari hunting. So, that will be my focus: helping and answering questions, when we build your package, when you contract, when we get your rifle import permit together, when you select your flights, when you import your trophies, etc.

Looking forward to help. Sent me a personal message, email me, call me :)

By the way, here are my own Huntershill trophies...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019
    ve7poi likes this.

13. The Artistry of Wildlife

The Artistry of Wildlife SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe,Botswana,Tajikastan, Mozambique, Zsmbia, South Africa, Canada, England, Kyrgyzstan
    Welcome Aboard. I have done and am doing MANY Many safaris from hunters that have hunted at Huntershill over the last three years. Many more going there THIS YEAR. Some leaving this month....From what I have seen in the last three years doing trophies from Huntershill. The quality of trophy is excellent and diversity of the game available is outstanding. I have a Personal Friend and Agent that has booked and taken dozens of clients there and returns every year.
    Glad to see a new sponsor.

Last edited: May 16, 2019

14. HUNTERSHILL safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
  15. HUNTERSHILL safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SCI, DSC, WRSA
  16. postoak

postoak BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA
    Hunted:
    U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
    Just out of curiosity, two questions.

Your 55,000 first location obviously has various enclosures for the non-huntable game. How big is the main hunting area and are there internal fences in it? If there are, what is the largest single unfenced area?

I've heard you have up to 20 or so guests at a time. If you don't want to hunt with more than, say, 4 or 5 other hunters is there a way to arrange that?

IvW likes this.

17. One Day...

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Europe (North, South, West), USA (East, West), Canada (British Columbia, Quebec, Newfoundland), Africa (Eastern Cape, Limpopo)
    Good questions postoak, I am happy to share my Huntershill experience.

Hunting area

At Huntershill itself, clients hunt a total of 120,000 acres (188 square miles), 55,000 of which are directly owned by Huntershill and 65,000 of which are adjacent to Huntershill and hunted by exclusive agreement with their owner.

There is a perimeter high fence around Huntershill's directly owned 55,000 acres because it is a legal requirement in South Africa for land owners to retain the ownership of the game. Actually, since 2 public roads cut across the property, the 55,000 acres are divided between three areas. Two that I estimate to be in the 5,000 acres range on the flat plain, and the rest of the property (50,000 acres in the hills). There are a couple of high fenced areas near the lodge for the sanctuary lions program, the cheetah program, etc. (it is also a legal requirement in South Africa to have dangerous animals fenced) that probably include a couple hundred acres each. I am not aware of any internal compartment high fences within the property.

Therefore, without a GIS survey map in hand, and using round numbers, I would therefore say that Huntershill hunts:
    1) 50,000 directly owned acres with a perimeter high fence but without any internal high fence;
    2) 65,000 additional adjacent acres without any high fence (perimeter or internal).

In addition, the 5,000 acres high fenced areas in the plains can be hunted too, for people with physical limitation or for specific animals that prefer flat terrain habitat, but the primary function is to host the breeding programs. One needs to remember that wild game had been literally wiped out of South Africa by WW II in order to clear the land for agriculture and cattle ranching. Anyone hunting in South Africa today can be pretty certain that the animals on the land today (aside from the Kruger National Park or equivalent) have been re-introduced over the last 10 to 50 years. Actually, South Africa is one of the great conservation success stories of wild game re-introduction and preservation.

People do not hunt million acre concessions in South Africa, because they simply do not exist there, and most likely the hunting includes high-fence property, because it is a legal requirement in South Africa for landowners to retain ownership of the game. But a perimeter fence is not an issue on a large enough property. The herds of native animals have been re-introduced, because there was no wildlife left in South Africa 75 years ago, and many herds of non-native animals have been introduced, because many species, such as the Lechwe for example, are not native to South Africa. In summary, land and game are managed, and genetics are improved by the addition of breeding animals, because the South Africa conservation success story is based on “conservation through commerce,” just like conservation in the US is mostly funded by hunters’ dollars.

So, this is not anymore the unexplored Africa of the beautiful movie Out of Africa recalling the life of Baroness Karen von Blixen-Finecke and Denys Finch Hatton in pre and immediately post World War I (1910’s) British East Africa (modern Kenya), but people still have the safari of a lifetime, and it is often such a life-changing experience that people go back. 97% of Huntershill clients do. Not every year, of course, but at one time or another.

Hunting experience

Huntershill offers 4 en-suite rooms which sleep two people in the Thomas Baines Lodge; 9 thatched stone cottages which sleep two people, and 2 chalets which sleep two people, so a grand total of 15 accommodations. It is a rare time when more than a dozen guests are at Huntershill, although it can happen when groups such as 3 generation families, hunting clubs groups, or outfitters' group hunts are hosted.

The land is vast enough and compartmentalized enough with hills and valleys so that you will likely never see another hunter in the field, unless you want to. Last year for example, I was alone in camp the first week of August, and a group of 12 Mexicans showed up for the second week. It did change the dynamics at the lodge in the evening, which I enjoyed, but I never saw them, or even heard them shoot, during the day.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019

18. postoak

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA
    Hunted:
    U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
    Thanks. You said the 50,000 acres has no internal high fences. Does that mean that there are internal low fences?

19. One Day...

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    I would say no. There may be some century old fragments here or there around old homesteads from the time the land was used for family cattle ranching over the last 200 or 300 years, I am not sure ??? I remember seeing an old line going a couple thousand feet straight up the mountain and wondering how much blood and sweat was expended on it, but where it reached down in the valley there was no wire left on it and most of the old posts were broken or missing.

What I can say for sure is that I hunted Huntershill 12 days all over the place in the hills (I like to hunt on foot and do not mind hiking my way to the big ones) and I have no recollection of crossing fences high or low during the hunts, aside from the ones to get to or from the 2 public roads, which are both unpaved "county roads" type :)

What I can also say is that I hunted other hunting properties in South Africa, in Limpopo Province to be specific, and I felt as much in a wilderness at Huntershill as I feel when I am hunting elk in Arizona wilderness areas. This was not the case in Limpopo.

Truth be told, there are still a couple places where yesterday’s African immensity and wild landscapes can be experienced … somewhat. In Tanzania’s northern blocks, southern Tanzania’s Selous Reserve, Mozambique’s Zambezi Delta, Botswana’s Okavango Delta, Namibia’s Caprivi strip, and a few other places, the modern hunter can still book a 21 day full bag safari (except black rhino), a few million-acre concessions still exist, and land and game are still relatively wild. But be prepared to pay for the privilege. By the time trophy fees are added to daily fees, you will be spending $40,000 to $70,000. That is out of my league :(

But I am very happy in South Africa or Namibia, recognizing that these are working landscapes and ecosystems :)

20. postoak

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA
    Hunted:
    U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
    Thanks.