USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I just bumped into an ad to: "Hunt South African National Parks"

"Special packages for hunting opportunities in NATIONAL PARKS in South Africa."

What a way to advertise hunting. :rolleyes:

Not a PHASA member.

In contrast, I think some fella was offered a deal to hunt by special permit in a Zimbabwe Park and got themselves charged.

Buyer beware.

There is a lot of hunting available in national parks in SA. Which national parks are we talking about here?

There is a lot of hunting available in national parks in SA. Which national parks are we talking about here?

I know there is quota auctioned in a variety of parks throughout South Africa.

You asked my question exactly. No details just a suggestion to go hunt in the national parks.

I know there is quota auctioned in a variety of parks throughout South Africa.

You asked my question exactly. No details just a suggestion to go hunt in the national parks.

Could be dodgy...

Any link or reference to the add or offer?

I won't copy the link to AH. It does not deserve the coverage.

Just an Outfitter that made an offer using the tag lines I copied.

I think any offer is dodgy when it does not include details up front.
There can be legitimate reasons where some details are withheld but hunters have to be on alert to distinguish the scams from real offers.

“Danger Will Robinson.....Danger”
When I saw the post I was optimistic that there might be something really good about to be shared. Darn it!

There are some great opportunities to hunt that are auctioned every year. It's a little tough because they come with specific dates (last time I saw).
It is harder to coordinate than having a contracted concession that you can book a date and show up.

There are auctions in Zimbabwe too. Rookhawk got in on one of those scenarios. (thread here somewhere). Some work really well, others, not so much.

There is quota available in parks that is adjacent to National Parks.... Very few hunts actually take place within the park itself. Most of the areas where hunts take place are referred to as the APNR as they are private game reserves that is open with a national park. These reserves has to adhere to the National Parks rules and regulations to be able to hunt. They are really strict with dates and which animals may be hunted....

One thing is for sure, they are never cheap hunts! If you run into a deal where a hunt in a National park is advertised at a low price, you can be sure it is BS.

I love hunting the APNR areas as it is a experience second to none, unfortunately it is really hard to get safaris like this sold due to the high pricing.

I hope this helps out a bit and keep people from falling for these people throwing out false advertising in some cases, if I can put it that way.

Never confuse a "reserve" with a " national park".

Private property adjoining the Kruger is a totally different kettle if fish.
Mutually managing quota for animals that cross onto private property is totally different. Quota on the APNR does not allow the hunter to cross into the park. Most folks know that.

I think there are limited quota available in blind auction in the parks, but I am not sure if non citizens are eligible even. I remember peter flack writing about putting in a bid for a rhino hunt in a park in SA, and winning and being successful.

Yes packages to hunt within National Parks are available. Some are trophy packages and some are meat hunts aimed more at local hunters.

Some Provinces will sell them at auction(you or somebody representing you needs to be at the auction and you bid as per any other auction, highest bidder wins) and some Provinces sell them by tender(blind auction), so you look at what is offered in the package, decide what you are prepared to pay and then put in a price and wit to find out who gets the hunt.

Typically these hunts are then sold over a specific time period. Mostly accommodation is available within the National park and although basic in most camps, is more than adequate.

You do not get free reign to hunt anywhere in the park, you only hunt designated areas and are always accompanied by National Parks game scout.

It takes some planning but have done quite a few of these hunts with clients. In some cases, depending on the Game warden you may be permitted to harvest other animals that where not normally part of the package eg. Blue wildebeest, Impala, Warthog, Zebra, Giraffe, Black wildebeest, Blesbuck etc. This is however not a guarantee and will depend entirely on the Game warden, who will know what the animals are they want to reduce numbers for. These are typically animals that they would have culled themselves.

Con's they are typically animal and time specific.
Pro's they are more affordable and you have a good chance of of getting better than average trophies. Even the meat hunts are more affordable.

I will be bidding on some hunts again this year.

IvW thanks for clearing this up. "There is nothing like having boots on the ground."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross