Hunt Budget realistic?

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
Alright, take a look at this. I've don't some looking based on todays cost of a safari and i think i have a realistic budget.

Keep in mind, i have a short List of animals. Very short. Im going after the two quintessential African animals. Buffalo Bull and a Kudu.

Here are my thoughts. Please chime in where you think i may be LOW or HIgh im my figures. What did I forget?

Total animal cost : $12000

Tips and gratuities : $1800

Airfare: $1500

Dip and Pack $800

Gun Permits $370

Import and Shipping of trophy's $2,000

Where am i wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Firebird

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
When are you going and from where? What airline? Your airfare seems really low-are you using a travel agency and will you be taking your own guns or renting them?

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
Taking my own guns. 2 of them. Flights from Portland, OR to Jberg RSA.

two checked bags (one guncase) and one carry on.

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
So for the airfare, i did a search on Expedia. It came in at $1050. The flight from JoBerg to Polokwane was $250 Round trip.

My thought was thru a travel agent it would be a bit higher. (expected) Airline was united, delta or Luftansa.

Edster

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
So for the airfare, i did a search on Expedia. It came in at $1050. The flight from JoBerg to Polokwane was $250 Round trip.

My thought was thru a travel agent it would be a bit higher. (expected) Airline was united, delta or Luftansa.

With the current situation of flights being changed/cancelled or what ever else the airlines want to come up with, the little extra you pay the Travel agent is money well spent!!!!!!

R.M.C.

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
U.S. and Canada
I'm planning my first trip for July and I'm paying $1500 for flight from Newark NJ to Johannesburg through Gracy travel. I'm planning on a bit more than you for shipping because I'm getting the taxidermy work done over there.
I'll be watching this thread for tips from more experienced people than myself though lol

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
Im having my two trophies done in Euro mounts and I think both will look good and not be that expensive. Im also hoping it will be a somewhat smaller size crate.

I simply dont have house with a wall big enough for a shoulder mount Buffalo.

Last edited:

curtism1234

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
The buffalo and kudu at $12000 is bare minimum. You can a deal here and there but I think 14k would be a more realistic number where you are not surprised

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
The buffalo and kudu at $12000 is bare minimum. You can a deal here and there but I think 14k would be a more realistic number where you are not surprised
Well. ive got a quote from the outfitter of $9k for the Buff and $3000 for the kudu 53"-55"

If i have extra cash while im over there, i can ad an animal.

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
Obviously this does not account for pocket cash or trinkets and souvenirs as well.

Im just dont want to omit anything big.

CJW

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Are you going to need to overnight in JoBurg? Are you going to get travel insurance and rescue coverage from someone like Global Rescue?

Is there anything else you plan to buy for the trip like boots, binoculars, gun case, new luggage, cartridge belt, clothes, etc.? That stuff slowly adds up if you don't have it already.

Firebird

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
Do you pay a daily rate on top of trophy cost? Will you need a night in a hotel-such as a night in jburg before your next flight.

Cowboy

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Montana, Texas, Idaho, Washington, Alaska, South Africa, and Mexico
Jennifer Ginn @Travelexpress can help you aton with the budget. Give her a call or see her at the show in Vegas next week.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I think you are right in the ball park. Assuming you are spending at least a week, you should be able to afford to be a little picky on your two animals - ten days (my personal minimum) very picky. However, when your PH says "I really think you ought to take this _____________", shoot it - even if you spend the last three days of your hunt taking pictures.

You are apparently hunting your buffalo in South Africa? That's fine. But, it is very likely that you will have him pretty quickly in that environment. The last two hundred yards is still a buffalo hunt, but locating animals is very different than a wilderness area.

If you are hunting SA and are being picked up at the airport, you don't have to worry about overnighting there.

I would look through the outfitter's trophy list and have a couple of adds in your back pocket. On most game ranches a warthog or impala can be very reasonable.

BourbonTrail

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA (AZ, KY, MO, NM, VA)
Are you going to need to overnight in JoBurg? Are you going to get travel insurance and rescue coverage from someone like Global Rescue?

Is there anything else you plan to buy for the trip like boots, binoculars, gun case, new luggage, cartridge belt, clothes, etc.? That stuff slowly adds up if you don't have it already.
+1

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
I think you are right in the ball park. Assuming you are spending at least a week, you should be able to afford to be a little picky on your two animals - ten days (my personal minimum) very picky. However, when your PH says "I really think you ought to take this _____________", shoot it - even if you spend the last three days of your hunt taking pictures.

You are apparently hunting your buffalo in South Africa? That's fine. But, it is very likely that you will have him pretty quickly in that environment. The last two hundred yards is still a buffalo hunt, but locating animals is very different than a wilderness area.

If you are hunting SA and are being picked up at the airport, you don't have to worry about overnighting there.

I would look through the outfitter's trophy list and have a couple of adds in your back pocket. On most game ranches a warthog or impala can be very reasonable.
Yes sir, i am spending 10days.
I did not factor in the hotel in JBerg for the overnight before the polokwane flight.

I have some animals such as warthog and impala on the adds list.

I have $10k secured now and will have to do the rest a little bit at a time but should be able to pull it off if i can nail down all of my costs.

Osama Mahdi

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Taking my own guns. 2 of them. Flights from Portland, OR to Jberg RSA.

two checked bags (one guncase) and one carry on.
Last year I took 6 flights in total. 2 inside the States and one from New York to Johannesburg and same with the returned flights.
The cost was$1200. The airplane was half empty.

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
Do you pay a daily rate on top of trophy cost? Will you need a night in a hotel-such as a night in jburg before your next flight.
no those prices are a package all inclusive deal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rickvzg

Latest profile posts

Tom Leoni wrote on Nyati67's profile.
Nyatyi, what's the tube dia. on your S&B?
Brian wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
CM,
That is nice work! I would like that cartridge slide for 50-110 Win. I would also use it for 500 S&W. Six cartridge loops would be perfect for me.

I will send you payment immediately.

Thank you,
Akunasek wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
do you still have the Ithaca 10 ga semi auto?
kdenn wrote on TROPHY SHIPPERS's profile.
Afternoon, going to South Africa August 22 hunting with wife. will need your help with trophies. what information and how soon do you need it? went to the website and completed the form but seems i have negative energy or something with electronic communication often.
thanks for your help
ken dennison
Docpk wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
I would but the Swarovski scope