Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
Wild Deer Association of Ireland
Hunted
South Africa Eastern Cape, Kenya,Namibia, Croatia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Czech, Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
Having read a lot of the great reports and stories penned by the guys on this forum I felt I should make my own contribution.
I have been to Hungary a few times now to hunt driven boar. It is a bit addictive. The baying of the dogs and the crash of the rifles in the forest cause a certain stirring in the blood.
Like all hunting it is a game of chance. There are no certainties. A great hunt to one hunter who maybe bowled over 3 or even 5 boar over a couple of days was a non event to the other guy on the same trip who didn't see a thing. I have been in both camps but I reckon that you enter into the spirit of things being given the opportunity to shoot boar.
21 of us met up in Ferighy airport,Budapest on Friday January 16th. The majority flew in from Ireland,3 flew in the evening before From the UK and last but not least Johan"perkile"Johannson from Northern Sweden.
We were met by our outfitter Adam and our interpreter/organiser/asskicker where necessary,Krisztina László.
Krisztina had worked with another outfitter in Hungary and I had noticed her organisational capabilities previously. She also speaks 5 languages,English and Hungarian being the ones I was particularly interested in.
We had hired a bus for the weekend. It arrived,we loaded up and away to Petersvara near Eger in N.Hungary. One of the bonuses of this trip was being in the major wine making region of the country .
We settled into our hotel and after dinner Adam,through Krisztina , gave us a briefing on the next two days events, breakfast at 0600, bus at 0645,0700 departure.
After 45 minutes we arrived at the first hunting ground. We were greeted by the Jaegermeister and signed in to the hunting ground. We drew for our pegs for the first drive and climbed into various jeeps,4x4s to go to our posts.
On arrival at your post you are shown your firing lanes and no shoot zones. Blaze orange is mandatory on these hunts. After a while you can heard the dogs a few klicks away. Gradually they get closer and the odd shot goes off sometimes a double as it is a great opportunity to use a double in 9.3x74,8x57 or suchlike.
Maybe on the first drive you are lucky enough to get a shot. I made a personal note to change my deodorant as the guns on my left and right got shooting leaving me idle. However....
Drive over and we broke for lunch in the field. Sandwiches,soup,coffee or tea and one of the beaters passed around a bottle or two?of his home made palinka,plum brandy,ideal for starting diesels on cold mornings. Actually this was a good one.
Lunch over we drew again for our posts for the afternoon drive and piled into the vehicles for a ten or fifteen minute drive to another area of forestry.
Your scribe lucked out again only seeing shapes barrelling through brush( which you are warned not to shoot at). Still 14 boar and 5red hinds made up the bag for the day.
Part of the ceremony at the end of the day involves beating the wild boar virgins or in fact if anyone shoots a first of specy they get a whopping. Not a serious flogging but first man up doesn't know that and gets a bit nervous when he sees those of us in the know practising with large sticks against tree trunks.
After the ceremonies were over we climbed,dutifully,back into the bus to be head counted by Krisztina and back to the hotel.
Remember the air guitar ? Well by 10pm there were several air rifles with their bolts being worked hard in the hotel bar

Breakfast at 0600 and back on the bus again the next morning. A shorter drive today to another hunting ground. We signed in and pulled for pegs. 19! Very good peg I was told. What he didn't tell me was that peg 19 was at the top of Hamburger Hill. Recuperating from a dose of flu it was all my 60 year old chest and knees could do to get up that feckin' hill !
Literally just as I and my guide got to my post 6 boar trotted past . Rifle unloaded and still in slip,mild chagrin. Sorry did I say mild ?
Drive on and again my pheronomes didn't work. Dave below me shot a boar, and the gun just over the brow was in a proper firefight. Again only shapes in the brushwood behind me to see.
Lunch and a lot of happy hunters. Nearly everyone had got a shot off and several had kills.
Pull for the last drive and off in the bus to another area of forestry a short distance away.
No test climb this time,thank you. Once a day is enough. We spread out along the top of a long ridge and waited expectantly. Again the dogs in the distance and the beaters shouting.rifle fire broke out away to my right and I could hear my friends 9.3x74 double tapping.
Some dogs came yapping up the ridge but no boar were visible. Suddenly one appeared out of the low beech about 60yds away. I got 2 shots off at it and had the satisfaction of seeing it roll down the hill into a gulley. Then another appeared and I managed to account for it.
The beaters went past cursing and swearing. Wow those guys earned their money beating that terrain, the beat continued into the distance and I decided on a cigar and a look at the map of the drive. Big Mistake ! Daniel to my right suddenly let loose with his Krieghoff pump action rifle at something I couldn't see because of the terrain.
After the drive we met up and he congratulated me on my shooting but why didn't I see the big keiler going back? To busy smoking and making head or tail of my map. Bugger! Well he got it good man.
Back to camp for another round of beatings and laughs. 37 boar and 5 red hinds on the parade for the 2 days. A good result. There were more boar to be brought in but they didn't make it for the parade,pity.
Monday we all flew back to our various airports promising next year, 3 days hunting.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

nice write up sika, it got me reminiscing. i have done 4 or so driven boar hunts in hungary and it is great. like you i have been in the dead zone:( ...and also the hotspots (y) seeing your photo of the hilux reminded me of one of mine when i was in a hotspot , all of these boar in the hilux photos were ones i shot on this one stand :) as you say its good for giving the double a work out :D Beers:
P1010111.JPG

P1010098.JPG
P1010100.JPG

Looks like a good bit of fun.

Thanks for writing and sharing the tale.

Looks like you had a busy time there Mike!
What area of Hungary were you hunting on that occasion ?

I'd love to give that a whirl!

Nothing to stop you ! But if you were going to travel all that distance you should do a weeks hunting and tag on to a few hunting parties.
Over the weekend I fired 6 shots, one mate fired 18, another 13 on the first day. One guy didn't fire a shot all weekend.

Looks like you had a busy time there Mike!
What area of Hungary were you hunting on that occasion ?

hi just had a look in my book that i keep for my 9.3x74r double. these are what i took.
nov 2003 hunting area sasret 2 days . taken 6 boar 1 red hind, 1 red stag
nov 2004 think it was sasret again 2 days . taken 9 boar , 1 red hind
nov 2005 hunting area sasret and nagymate 2 days. taken 21 boar (shoot where photos taken)
dec 2006 same 2 areas i think. 3 days . taken 10 boar, 1 red hind
dec 2007 hunting area sasret and nagymate. 2 days hunting. taken sasret 9 boar, nagymate 7 boar
. then they pumped up the prices and i stopped going. so quite a while since i have done any boar shooting.....
but have shot in france 3 or 4 times prior to hungary, and have stood in pouring rain and sleet for 2 days and on the last days drive shot 1 boar with 5 mins left. and on one of the above hungarian shoots one person didnt fire one shot in the 2 days, so as you said if you are travelling a long way try and get as many days on shoots as you can . in hungary we used to have 6 boar included in the price, but after that french shoot i used to worry about the extras bill after , and was happy to be in any hot spot that came along!! :D

Mike, you did well on those hunts. Especially 2005, 21 boar to one gun over two days is pretty phenomenal. Is that a fenced area ?

yup most were in the gutter/fenced areas some in open forest, but the terrain in the fenced areas is the same heavy wooded areas with hills and gullies, with 2 or 3 drives in a day if there was time.
P1010096.JPG

P1010130.JPG

not a great photo but these 2 were a left and right with my double
P1010129.JPG

some people still only got 2 or 3 boar in those areas, i just seemed to be lucky as friends who were either side of me on that shoot only shot 4 or 5 in the same 2 day period..... apart from that i shot superbly !!!! ;):A Yeah::E Big Grin::E Rofl::D Beers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross