Hubert Vereecke .416 Rigby

Why is it an agonising decision...its obviously been carried around in the Bush already.....shock horror....I honestly don't get it when people come out with what you have said....and I have commented same before on other threads....use the things...what they were built for... :E Shrug:

I hear you loud and clear :)

Did I say in my previous post: "This will really hit home after the first field mishap"? Allow me to illustrate how this all takes a new perspective when what shows up at the airport luggage hall is something like this:

DSCN0476.JPG

DSCN0470.JPG

Bespoke Griffin & Howe on re-machined and trued ZKK 602, new straight bolt handle, 3 positions safety, re-machined double square bridges, custom turned and machined integral quarter rib semi-weight, hand-lapped, Krieger barrel, barrel band front sight, barrel band front swivel, claw mounts rail scope, extensive metal work, select straight grain Circassian walnut, etc. etc. Broken stock, bent barrel, fractured claw...

You may or may not know that luggage damages compensation is managed through the Montreal Convention (formally, the Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules for International Carriage by Air), and that the Warsaw Convention caps the maximum liability of airlines for lost/destroyed baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage up to the cap). The value of the SDR (Special Drawing Right) is based on a basket of five currencies: the U.S. dollar, the euro, the Chinese renminbi, the Japanese yen, and the British pound sterling. That day 1 SDR was worth $1.40, so, I received a check for $1,583, which did not even begin to cover (short by a factor of about 10x) the cost of a full blown Griffin & Howe custom rifle.

As to the wet places, it is really heartbreaking to see a beautiful Bastogne 4 stars walnut linseed hand finished stock turn into a warped gray plank in the course of a week long, non-stop rain, fly camp hunt, despite one's best efforts every night with pore filler and linseed oil. Happened to me in Newfoundland...

So, yes, you may "honestly don't get it when people come out with what you have said....", but I paid my dues Brother...................................................... ;)

Admittedly, it is not an issue for someone who never travel with rifles handled by airlines luggage gorillas or mechanical conveyors, and who never hunts in the rainy season (or in rainy places). I still hunt with my showpieces (I still have a couple) but not every where and not every time :)

Last edited:

Did I say in my previous post: "This will really hit home after the first field mishap"? Allow me to illustrate how this all takes a new perspective when what shows up at the airport luggage hall is something like this:

View attachment 471965

View attachment 471966

Bespoke Griffin & Howe on re-machined and trued ZKK 602, new straight bolt handle, 3 positions safety, re-machined double square bridges, custom turned and machined integral quarter rib semi-weight, hand-lapped, Krieger barrel, barrel band front sight, barrel band front swivel, claw mounts rail scope, extensive metal work, select straight grain Circassian walnut, etc. etc. Broken stock, bent barrel, fractured claw...

You may or may not know that luggage damages compensation is managed through the Montreal Convention (formally, the Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules for International Carriage by Air), and the Warsaw Convention set the maximum liability of airlines for lost/destroyed baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). The value of the SDR (Special Drawing Right) is based on a basket of five currencies: the U.S. dollar, the euro, the Chinese renminbi, the Japanese yen, and the British pound sterling. That day 1 SDR was worth $1.40, so, I received a check for $1,583, which did not even begin to cover (short by a factor of about 10x) the cost of a full blown Griffin & Howe custom rifle.

As to the wet places, it is really heartbreaking to see a beautiful Bastogne 4 stars walnut linseed hand finished stock turn into a warped gray plank in the course of a week long, non-stop rain, fly camp hunt, despite one's best efforts every night. Happened to me in Newfoundland...

So, yes, you may "honestly don't get it when people come out with what you have said....", but I paid my dues Brother...................................................... ;)

Admittedly, it is not an issue for someone who never travel with rifles handled by airlines luggage gorillas or mechanical conveyors, and who never hunts in the rainy season (or in rainy places) :)
Just looking at those pictures, makes my stomach ache...

Here is a question for the big experts on (magnum) Mauser actions, what can be the reason of an action not "arming" after cycling the bolt really fast...

Been practicing behind the TV, with a good safari video on, and when I remove the scope, irons only, due to the slick action, I can really cycle it quickly. Basically I have my finger on the trigger ready to fire again, before the first cartridge hits the ground (I practice with A-Zoom snap caps). However, when I do this quickly, no second 'click'... it's as if the trigger /firing pin did not take tension and remained in its already-fired state...

And how to correct this...

Here is a question for the big experts on (magnum) Mauser actions, what can be the reason of an action not "arming" after cycling the bolt really fast...

Been practicing behind the TV, with a good safari video on, and when I remove the scope, irons only, due to the slick action, I can really cycle it quickly. Basically I have my finger on the trigger ready to fire, before the first cartridge hits the ground (I practice with A-Zoom snap caps). However, when I do this quickly, no second 'click'... it's as if the trigger /firing pin did not take tension and remained in its already fired state...

And how to correct this...

Either:
1- the sear engagement being too shallow (i.e. the trigger being set with too little travel);
2- the sear reset spring being weak, broken (quite rare), or slowed by hardened grease;
3- the sear being worn out (quite rare);
4- the cocking piece being worn out (quite rare);
5- I am excluding on a rifle such as this one the sear and/or cocking piece being poorly adjusted and having a rounded edge...

My bet is option #1 (although I have seen hardened grease freeze a spring loaded ejection blade on a ZKK)... Adding a touch of sear engagement (1 to 3 tenth of 1 mm) is super easy to do in about 30 seconds by someone who knows what they are doing.

In any case, you need to address this. Reloading slowly is not the solution, because this is telling us that the sear engagement is so shallow that a hard knock on the rifle could very likely release the cocking piece when off safe. You can try it by arming the bolt, not engaging the safety, and dropping the rifle about 1 foot (30 cm) on its recoil pad, or slapping the rifle side hard with your hand. I would speculate that you have a 50/50 chance of the firing pin cocking piece jumping the sear...

Last edited:
Either:
1- the sear engagement being too shallow (i.e. the trigger being set with too little travel);
2- the sear reset spring being weak, broken (quite rare), or slowed by hardened grease;
3- the sear being worn out (quite rare);
4- the cocking piece being worn out (quite rare);
5- I am excluding on a rifle such as this one the sear and/or cocking piece being poorly adjusted and having a rounded edge...

My bet is option #1 (although I have seen hardened grease freeze a spring loaded ejection blade on a ZKK)... Adding a touch of sear engagement (1 to 3 tenth of 1 mm) is super easy to do in about 30 seconds by someone who knows what the are doing.

In any case, you need to address this. Reloading slowly is not the solution, because this is telling us that the sear engagement is so shallow that a hard knock on the rifle could very likely release the cocking piece when off safe. You can try it by arming the bolt, not engaging the safety, and dropping the rifle about 1 foot (30 cm) on its recoil pad. I would speculate that you have a 50/50 chance of the firing pin cocking piece jumping the sear...

Thanks a lot, I’ll definitely get this sorted out. A bit of a relief that it should be an easy fix for someone competent.

Thanks a lot, I’ll definitely get this sorted out. A bit of a relief that it should be an easy fix for someone competent.

A slight bit of grease/ dust preventing the trigger to stay forward and the sear engaging. Good clean with a safe solvent and adjusting the sear a fraction should sort it out, as One Day described.

More emportantly. Congratulations on one of the finest 416 Rigbys out there. It is a stunning rifle. Take it to Africa. Blood it (again), clean it well and enjoy the memories.

Since reading Hunting Imperative by Richard Harland as a schoolboy I’ve wanted a Dumoulin in .505, but .416 is a lot more practical.

View attachment 471965

View attachment 471966

You may or may not know that luggage damages compensation is managed through the Montreal Convention (formally, the Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules for International Carriage by Air), and that the Warsaw Convention caps the maximum liability of airlines for lost/destroyed baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage up to the cap). The value of the SDR (Special Drawing Right) is based on a basket of five currencies: the U.S. dollar, the euro, the Chinese renminbi, the Japanese yen, and the British pound sterling. That day 1 SDR was worth $1.40, so, I received a check for $1,583, which did not even begin to cover (short by a factor of about 10x) the cost of a full blown Griffin & Howe custom rifle.

As to the wet places, it is really heartbreaking to see a beautiful Bastogne 4 stars walnut linseed hand finished stock turn into a warped gray plank in the course of a week long, non-stop rain, fly camp hunt, despite one's best efforts every night with pore filler and linseed oil. Happened to me in Newfoundland...

Admittedly, it is not an issue for someone who never travel with rifles handled by airlines luggage gorillas or mechanical conveyors, and who never hunts in the rainy season (or in rainy places). I still hunt with my showpieces (I still have a couple) but not every where and not I feel sick,

I feel sick, seeing that ... may be a reason for using the best rifle case available .

Reactions: CJW
After a crazy few days, finally found some time to get the measurements:

- Rifle + scope = 5.58Kg or 12.26 pounds
- Rifle = 4.89Kg or 10.86 pounds

and update on the issue:
I spoke to the gun shop who sold me the rifle, they obviously said the rifle not arming with a speed manipulation was not normal and will need to be corrected.

I hesitated a bit of sharing my latest acquisition here, because I'm not really wanting to show off, but rather share in my enthusiasm of my latest find. More importantly, as I could not find almost any other examples from this maker, but after having talked to two different gunsmith's (one who worked for Francotte, the other who worked for Holland & Holland) who both told me this was an artisan who produced a very limited number of guns and rifles, but only of the highest quality. I hope that this thread could perhaps pull some people from the woodwork and share if they also have a Vereecke rifle or gun.

But in any case without further ado: This is a Hubert Vereecke .416 Rigby from 2003, with a true magnum Mauser action from RIMAG (Francotte), fully coverage engraving, some gold inlay and a Bulino (?) engraving of a buffalo on the extended floorplate. I have tried with 5 A-Zoom snap caps, and with a bit of finicking, it is possible to put 4 in the magazine and one in the tube. Pivot mounts (of a brand I'm sure others will recognize), holding a Schmidt & Bender 1.15-4x20 with circle dot (illuminated) crosshair. There is a compartment for a reserve sight, but no reserve sight is present. Nice and thick and soft butt pad, not the nice red one we often see, but very nice against the shoulder. The action is butter butter smooth, it has a set trigger (although I do not intend to use that option much) and a flip up moon-sight. The bluing is a bit gone on the barrel (african carry), and the pores on the wood are starting to open, but I just put some grain sealer and then some oil on the stock, so should be good for now.

No, I have not had the chance to shoot it yet, I still need to find a gun range that will allow such large calibers. Especially one that will allow me to feed a few solids through it as well. I'm thinking Norma PH in 450grains, as it is quite available here, but open to other suggestions. (I'm not a reloader).

If anyone who reads this, owns a Vereecke or knows more about the man and his rifles/guns, please do reach out to me!

And thanks again @rookhawk and @Red Leg for allowing me to run a few things by you. Your advice is always its weight in gold!

Right, some pics too ;)

View attachment 471794

View attachment 471795

View attachment 471796

View attachment 471797

View attachment 471798

View attachment 471799

View attachment 471800
WOW!!!!! Gorgeous rifle!!! Love the wood and especially the engraving!!!!

View attachment 471965

View attachment 471966

Admittedly, it is not an issue for someone who never travel with rifles handled by airlines luggage gorillas or mechanical conveyors, and who never hunts in the rainy season (or in rainy places). I still hunt with my showpieces (I still have a couple) but not every where and not every time :)
So sad about damage! I bought my full coverage from Eastern Insurance that covers damage due to anything, anywhere so I have peace of mind when using my nice rifles

So sad about damage! I bought my full coverage from Eastern Insurance that covers damage due to anything, anywhere so I have peace of mind when using my nice rifles
I have had Eastern Insurance on my firearms for the past dozen years. Excellent insurance!

I hesitated a bit of sharing my latest acquisition here, because I'm not really wanting to show off, but rather share in my enthusiasm of my latest find. More importantly, as I could not find almost any other examples from this maker, but after having talked to two different gunsmith's (one who worked for Francotte, the other who worked for Holland & Holland) who both told me this was an artisan who produced a very limited number of guns and rifles, but only of the highest quality. I hope that this thread could perhaps pull some people from the woodwork and share if they also have a Vereecke rifle or gun.

But in any case without further ado: This is a Hubert Vereecke .416 Rigby from 2003, with a true magnum Mauser action from RIMAG (Francotte), fully coverage engraving, some gold inlay and a Bulino (?) engraving of a buffalo on the extended floorplate. I have tried with 5 A-Zoom snap caps, and with a bit of finicking, it is possible to put 4 in the magazine and one in the tube. Pivot mounts (of a brand I'm sure others will recognize), holding a Schmidt & Bender 1.15-4x20 with circle dot (illuminated) crosshair. There is a compartment for a reserve sight, but no reserve sight is present. Nice and thick and soft butt pad, not the nice red one we often see, but very nice against the shoulder. The action is butter butter smooth, it has a set trigger (although I do not intend to use that option much) and a flip up moon-sight. The bluing is a bit gone on the barrel (african carry), and the pores on the wood are starting to open, but I just put some grain sealer and then some oil on the stock, so should be good for now.

No, I have not had the chance to shoot it yet, I still need to find a gun range that will allow such large calibers. Especially one that will allow me to feed a few solids through it as well. I'm thinking Norma PH in 450grains, as it is quite available here, but open to other suggestions. (I'm not a reloader).

If anyone who reads this, owns a Vereecke or knows more about the man and his rifles/guns, please do reach out to me!

And thanks again @rookhawk and @Red Leg for allowing me to run a few things by you. Your advice is always its weight in gold!

Right, some pics too ;)

View attachment 471794

View attachment 471795

View attachment 471796

View attachment 471797

View attachment 471798

View attachment 471799

View attachment 471800
Hello VertigoBE, try CTM in Wavre, they accept 416 calibers.
Brgds,
Marc

Than
Hello VertigoBE, try CTM in Wavre, they accept 416 calibers.
Brgds,
Marc
Thank you for the suggestion Marc, it is 30min by car for me, so doable.

Cheers and happy new year to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross