Hoyt Trykon Jr 40lb Bow

Carlo Pelser

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and could use some advice. I have a Hoyt Trykon Jr 40lb bow and was wondering if it would be enough to do hunting with. It will surely be at ranges from 20 to 30 meters(Maybe even closer). Do you guys think I''l be able to take a worthog with this bow? I really want it to be my first bow kill.

Thanks in advance.

Yes 40 lbs is enough for warthog and impala sized animals. Use the right broadhead!!

Any good cut on contact head will do the job. I would recommend 125 grain heads for more FOC and weight.

Avoid all mechanical broadheads. Stick with a fixed 2 or 3 blade broadhead. I used a Silver Flame 150 grain 2-blade and a Montec 100 grain 3-blade for my hunt. I would recommend at least a 125 grain weight for the three blade if you are going to use a 40lb bow, just to give more momentum.

My daughter is going to use a 150 grain 2-blade Silver Flame BH on her 37# bow this weekend, if weather permits and I will post how her pig hunt goes. That should be a good proxy of a 40lb bow on a warthog.

Actually, I just looked up your bow. I would say that it is NOT enough bow for Africa. I do not know what your draw length is, but that bow would be unlikely to get more than 25 Ft-lbs of kinetic energy out of it. I know it is an inexpensive bow, but it really is a kid's bow that is more for introducing one to archery.

Bows are measured in draw weight, but that isn't the whole story. One also needs to know draw length, which allows us to figure out the entire power cycle of the bow. In short, Yao Ming would get a low more power out of a 40lb bow than Peter Dinklage because he will draw a lot longer. Also, the efficiency of the bow needs to be taken into account. The Hoyt Trykon is a 255 IBO speed bow. Compared to my daughter's (more expensive, granted) Mathews Avail, at 340 IBO speed, at the same draw weight and length, she is putting out an arrow 33% faster.

Although I would love to see you use a bow in Africa, if it were my daughter and she was pulling 40 lbs, I would not have her hunt with that bow. There are a lot of options for new or probably even better, a used 50lb bow that can be dialed back down to 40lbs that are way more efficient. We are actually having her use her target bow for her pig hunt just because the more efficient Avail (compared to her Mission Craze, which is still way more efficient than the Trykon) would give as much kinetic energy at a 37lb draw as her old bow would have done with a 42lb draw.

Stats on the Hoyt Trykon Jr:
https://www.abbeyarchery.com.au/p/HYTJ/Hoyt+Trykon+Jr+Camo.html

Compared to say the Mathews Avail:
https://www.mathewsinc.com/bows/hunting/avail/detail

If you wanted to get a good option, find a used bow in the 320-340 IBO speed range. Every bit of extra IBO speed is more power from the same draw length and draw weight. Take all the structural/mechanical advantage you can get at the low end of the power curve. In my opinion, you are likely to have your first bow kill be more likely a bow wounding event that might turn you off on bowhunting altogether if you go in with what is essentially an older child's introductory bow. Although you could possibly kill the animal with it, it would be the equivalent of using a .22 to shoot an impala. Not knowing what your budget it for a bow, I cannot make a recommendation, but I think you can easily find a more efficient set-up that will save you some headaches and heartaches over in Africa. Feel free to pm me if you have any further questions.

Remember with arrow spine more weight up front lessens stiffness.

Throw a 100 grn slick trick standard on a small diameter arrow and go hunt

Spine is unlikely to be his issue. If he shot a 300 grain 28" long arrow like the Gold Tip Velocity Hunter, his dynamic spine would be 0.693 so he should be using a 700 spine arrow. I put the bow in OnTarget and set it at the longest draw length that was available for that bow (25 inches) and 40lbs draw and with a 300 grain arrow he would be shooting 202.94 FPS with 27.43 Ft-Lbs of KE.

With the exact same draw length and draw weight and arrow weight, if he was using the Hoyt PowerMax, he would increase to 220.54 FPS and 32.4 Ft-lbs of KE.

Just a sample of how the speed and power can change with some different bows all using a 25" draw, 40lb draw weight and 300.3 grain arrow:

Hoyt Trykon Jr: 202.94 FPS with 27.43 Ft-Lbs of KE.
Mission Craze II: 206.44 FPS with 28.39 Ft-Lbs of KE
Bear Cruizer: 214.51 FPS with 30.65 Ft-Lbs of KE
Hoyt PowerMax: 220.54 FPS with 32.40 Ft-Lbs of KE
Mathews No-Cam HTR: 222.19 FPS with 32.89 Ft-Lbs of KE
Bowtech Legend: 224.72 FPS with 33.64 Ft-Lbs of KE
Mathews Avail: 228.38 FPS with 34.74 Ft-Lbs of KE
PSE Full Throttle: 247.07 FPS with 40.67 Ft-Lbs of KE

Now, the Trykon is both an entry level bow and also a very old design that was introduced in 2007. While it is still a functional bow, it isn't anywhere near as efficient as newer designs. The list above has other entry level bows at the top and some upper end bows at the bottom, including the Avail, which I think is a superb bow and the Full Throttle, which is the fastest bow on the market, or was if something has surpassed it (and the Full Throttle is amazingly powerful but not a pleasure to shoot like the No-Cam I put in the list which I think is the smoothest bow I have ever shot or even seen).

If you want to shoot an impala, you can probably down it. I think the Warthog is a bit tougher and according to South African regulations on bowhunting, the bow the OP has does not come even close to the requirements, which can be seen here:
http://bowhuntingsafari.com/ER_SouthAfrica.html

In essence, for small game, it requires 25 Ft-Lbs of KE and a 350 grain arrow.
For medium game (Kudu, Nyala, Warthog, Bushpig) it requires 40 Ft-Lbs of KE and a 400 grain arrow.

And for hitting the 350 grain arrow weight, I would recommend using a 150 grain broadhead to get a high FOC that will help on penetration because this is at the low end of the acceptable range.

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 10.33.32 PM.png

Avoid all mechanical broadheads. Stick with a fixed 2 or 3 blade broadhead. I used a Silver Flame 150 grain 2-blade and a Montec 100 grain 3-blade for my hunt. I would recommend at least a 125 grain weight for the three blade if you are going to use a 40lb bow, just to give more momentum.

My daughter is going to use a 150 grain 2-blade Silver Flame BH on her 37# bow this weekend, if weather permits and I will post how her pig hunt goes. That should be a good proxy of a 40lb bow on a warthog.
Thanks looking forward to it.

Actually, I just looked up your bow. I would say that it is NOT enough bow for Africa. I do not know what your draw length is, but that bow would be unlikely to get more than 25 Ft-lbs of kinetic energy out of it. I know it is an inexpensive bow, but it really is a kid's bow that is more for introducing one to archery.

Bows are measured in draw weight, but that isn't the whole story. One also needs to know draw length, which allows us to figure out the entire power cycle of the bow. In short, Yao Ming would get a low more power out of a 40lb bow than Peter Dinklage because he will draw a lot longer. Also, the efficiency of the bow needs to be taken into account. The Hoyt Trykon is a 255 IBO speed bow. Compared to my daughter's (more expensive, granted) Mathews Avail, at 340 IBO speed, at the same draw weight and length, she is putting out an arrow 33% faster.

Although I would love to see you use a bow in Africa, if it were my daughter and she was pulling 40 lbs, I would not have her hunt with that bow. There are a lot of options for new or probably even better, a used 50lb bow that can be dialed back down to 40lbs that are way more efficient. We are actually having her use her target bow for her pig hunt just because the more efficient Avail (compared to her Mission Craze, which is still way more efficient than the Trykon) would give as much kinetic energy at a 37lb draw as her old bow would have done with a 42lb draw.

Stats on the Hoyt Trykon Jr:
https://www.abbeyarchery.com.au/p/HYTJ/Hoyt+Trykon+Jr+Camo.html

Compared to say the Mathews Avail:
https://www.mathewsinc.com/bows/hunting/avail/detail

If you wanted to get a good option, find a used bow in the 320-340 IBO speed range. Every bit of extra IBO speed is more power from the same draw length and draw weight. Take all the structural/mechanical advantage you can get at the low end of the power curve. In my opinion, you are likely to have your first bow kill be more likely a bow wounding event that might turn you off on bowhunting altogether if you go in with what is essentially an older child's introductory bow. Although you could possibly kill the animal with it, it would be the equivalent of using a .22 to shoot an impala. Not knowing what your budget it for a bow, I cannot make a recommendation, but I think you can easily find a more efficient set-up that will save you some headaches and heartaches over in Africa. Feel free to pm me if you have any further questions.
I live in South Africa and hunt on private ground so I dont really have the problem of I'm not allowed. I have a older PSE bow witch is 70# but the draw lenght is cam specific and i cant source one for my draw length. The draw on the Hoyt is 26". The other problem is over here the archery equipment is super expensive and a second hand bow witch is decent would run you 6 to 8 thousand. Anyway dont want to bore you with finance stuff.

Carlo, you can find a person coming to RSA and have them bring a bow that you can buy after the hunt, perhaps? I bring a "back-up bow" and could probably bring one on my trip in July that somehow doesn't come back with me.

Are you a 26" draw length?

Carlo, you can find a person coming to RSA and have them bring a bow that you can buy after the hunt, perhaps? I bring a "back-up bow" and could probably bring one on my trip in July that somehow doesn't come back with me.

Are you a 26" draw length?
I am indeed. I am 1.72 meters tall (5.64 ft) and it it quite a fuzz to get a bow that can adjust that low.

Spine is unlikely to be his issue. If he shot a 300 grain 28" long arrow like the Gold Tip Velocity Hunter, his dynamic spine would be 0.693 so he should be using a 700 spine arrow. I put the bow in OnTarget and set it at the longest draw length that was available for that bow (25 inches) and 40lbs draw and with a 300 grain arrow he would be shooting 202.94 FPS with 27.43 Ft-Lbs of KE.

With the exact same draw length and draw weight and arrow weight, if he was using the Hoyt PowerMax, he would increase to 220.54 FPS and 32.4 Ft-lbs of KE.

Just a sample of how the speed and power can change with some different bows all using a 25" draw, 40lb draw weight and 300.3 grain arrow:

Hoyt Trykon Jr: 202.94 FPS with 27.43 Ft-Lbs of KE.
Mission Craze II: 206.44 FPS with 28.39 Ft-Lbs of KE
Bear Cruizer: 214.51 FPS with 30.65 Ft-Lbs of KE
Hoyt PowerMax: 220.54 FPS with 32.40 Ft-Lbs of KE
Mathews No-Cam HTR: 222.19 FPS with 32.89 Ft-Lbs of KE
Bowtech Legend: 224.72 FPS with 33.64 Ft-Lbs of KE
Mathews Avail: 228.38 FPS with 34.74 Ft-Lbs of KE
PSE Full Throttle: 247.07 FPS with 40.67 Ft-Lbs of KE

Now, the Trykon is both an entry level bow and also a very old design that was introduced in 2007. While it is still a functional bow, it isn't anywhere near as efficient as newer designs. The list above has other entry level bows at the top and some upper end bows at the bottom, including the Avail, which I think is a superb bow and the Full Throttle, which is the fastest bow on the market, or was if something has surpassed it (and the Full Throttle is amazingly powerful but not a pleasure to shoot like the No-Cam I put in the list which I think is the smoothest bow I have ever shot or even seen).

If you want to shoot an impala, you can probably down it. I think the Warthog is a bit tougher and according to South African regulations on bowhunting, the bow the OP has does not come even close to the requirements, which can be seen here:
http://bowhuntingsafari.com/ER_SouthAfrica.html

In essence, for small game, it requires 25 Ft-Lbs of KE and a 350 grain arrow.
For medium game (Kudu, Nyala, Warthog, Bushpig) it requires 40 Ft-Lbs of KE and a 400 grain arrow.

And for hitting the 350 grain arrow weight, I would recommend using a 150 grain broadhead to get a high FOC that will help on penetration because this is at the low end of the acceptable range.

View attachment 177364

Im calculating KE for my bow to be right at 64 Ft. Lbs..

I have NOT shot through a chronograph.. I used this calculator to determine arrow speed: http://archerycalculator.com/estimate-bow-speed/ which tells me I am shooting approximately 240 FPS (310 IBO, 31" draw length, 60lb pull, 501gr arrow, and about 40gr of weight on the string)..

using 240x240x501/450240 = 64.09.. that puts me right under what is recommended on the website provided earlier http://bowhuntingsafari.com/ER_SouthAfrica.html for Gemsbuck and Hartebeest (site says 65 is what is required for those animals)..

Both of those animals are on my June wish list..

I am assuming I am close enough and the animals wont know the difference?

Or am I really at the absolute bottom of what is acceptable for a Gemsbuck? And should consider using a rifle instead?

Two small mistakes.

#1 - the math is FPS^2 * Arrow Mass / 450,800 (not 450,240)

#2 - Using archerycalculator.com to estimate arrow speed. (No worries, most of the Internet makes that mistake)

Archery Calculator and all the other online arrow speed estimators I have seen online all UNDERestimate the speed of a heavy arrow. I don't have my far more accurate OT2 program here at work - it is on my laptop, but I will say that you are fine for gemsbuck. I can check them later tonight and see but my guess is you are probably closer to 68 Ft-Lbs if you shot over a chronograph.

40 grains of weight on the string? Good lord, how damn big are your peep and D-loop?

lol.. I could have WAY overestimated the weight of the peep, d-loop, and string silencers.. I was going off of random estimates found on... you guessed it... the internet!

The good news is if I divide by 450,800.. and assume even just 2 more FPS is the "real" speed, Im over the 65lb threshold.. even if I do have a peep made of lead and use the poor calculator :D

I feel much better now... I am really hoping to take either a Gemsbuck or a Hartebeest with the bow in June (or if Im really lucky and Africa provides... both!) and didnt want to be trying to figure out how to squeeze another 5 FPS or add another 50gr in arrow weight this late in the game :)

Let me know your bow and I will check the speed estimate tonight.

You should be around 8 grains for the D-loop and another 8 or so for the peep. String silencers will suck out some energy. I bet if you put the extra 25-30 grains on the arrow, you would gain some of that silencing effect and actually increase your kinetic energy and momentum. When I shoot a 650 grain arrow, my bow gets a lot quieter. (And the online speed estimators get further off the heavier you go). You are not that late in the game to bump up your arrow weight. I increased mine when I was ON my safari, putting about 90 more grains on my arrow once I was in SA.

Thanks MrP!

Im shooting a Parker Hornet. Specs are available here: http://parkerbows.com/images/pdfs/COMPOUNDBOWSPECSHEET.pdf ... My hornet has the 50-60lb limbs.. Ive considered calling Parker to see if they still have any 60-70lb limbs available (I'd love to bump up the draw weight a bit without having to buy new bow).. but they havent made the hornet in a few years.. Im guessing I am probably SOL..

I noticed a HUGE difference in noise when I went from a 350gr arrow to the 501gr arrow... a lot less felt vibration after each shot as well..

Attachments

• COMPOUNDBOWSPECSHEET.pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,554
That 7 3/16" brace height is robbing a lot of potential power cycle from the bow.

They do have the AMO bow speed there which is 238 FPS. You are almost shooing the ABO speed specs, which is 30" draw length (vs. your 31"), 60# draw weight, which is the same, and a 540 grain arrow (vs. your 501 grain).

Incidentally, using the AMO stats, the bow would be 67.85 Ft-LBS. Add in your extra 1# more draw length and you should be good. Try pulling the silences off your string and see how it shoots.

So I put in the info in OnTarget2, with 40 grains on the string and 501 grain arrows. Estimate is 245 FPS and 66.74 Ft-Lbs with 0.545 momentum.

When I was on my first hunt, I show 60 lbs, 28" DL on a Mathews No-Cam HTR (330 IBO speed) with 408-grain arrows. My Ft-Lbs was 70.40 and 0.505 momentum.

I downed an Eland, among other PG, although I would have preferred more penetration on the Eland and Blue Wildebeest. You have more momentum than I did on that hunt. I will be shooting heavier arrows this time around (650 grain). I didn't realize until right now that I was under the number for arrow mass and working back the minimum mass and KE, the minimum momentum would be 0.509 which again I was slightly under.

In all fairness, I lost a zebra on what looked like a perfect shot, had a blue wildebeest run on my for a long while and had to be shot and my eland was a bow kill and probably would have expired with one arrow but I put another in him to speed up the process.

thanks for the update @mrpoindexter !

Sorry for derailing this thread... I promise.. just one more question.. if it goes any further, Ill start a new thread :)

I reached out to Parker yesterday afternoon.. I was surprised.. but they do in fact have replacement limbs for this bow on hand.. my current limbs are 50-60lbs... Ive got them completely maxed out and the bow pulls right at 60lbs according to the scales at Cabelas..

Drawing 60lbs is no problem at all... and as I practice more Im finding it easier and easier (was a bit of a challenge when I first got the bow.. but I dont think that was due to the "weight".. I think it was due to my crappy technique.. now that I have figured it out.. its no problem at all)..

So here's the question... what if any benefit is gained by stepping up to 70 lb limbs? From what I can tell, FPS doesnt improve much (on any bow).. using the crappy online FPS calculator it looks like I would only pick up 17 FPS if I cranked all the way up to 70lbs.. but the KE jumps like a rocket (adds almost 10lbs of KE)..

Ill take this bow to Africa this year.. I can see where the extra 10lbs would be of value trying to get a pass through on a gemsbuck, etc..

But after that.. this will almost exclusively be used for deer, hogs, and MAYBE elk in the US... and to be honest.. will be mostly for "fun" (just going to the archery range and playing)..

Knowing in its current state the bow has enough KE for Gemsbuck and Hartebeest... is there a real purpose for paying $100 for replacement limbs? or would your recommendation be to stick with what Ive got?

I get on a plane for SA in 2 months and 4 days.. so not a whole lot of time to practice with the new limbs once they arrive... (I could order today.. Im guessing they would be here within the week.. and the bow tech I use could get everything set up the same day for me..but that leaves me probably 6-7x range trips to adjust the sights (no big deal), and get used to the new weight.. and then I am off for Limpopo...)..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veronica

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!