Howdy Folks

OzarkSafariGuy

AH member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just a missouri guy hecking around building big bore rifles.
Have built a few 375 H&H rifles, a 458, and a 425 WR.
After shooting a 500 A Square a while back and deciding I needed something 50 cal, I finally started a 500 Jeffery.
Building on an Arisaka action, thought it would be a fun challenge.
Action should arrive any day now, as should the reamer. Still looking into barrel blanks, and going to make the stock.
I'm guessing the magazine is going to be the most challenging, but I figure that the day I stop learning is the day I start dying.

Welcome!

I enjoy building as well.. although the biggest bore I’ve built so far is a .416 Taylor..

That .500J should be a fun project!

Welcome!

I enjoy building as well.. although the biggest bore I’ve built so far is a .416 Taylor..

That .500J should be a fun project!
Thanks!
I just looked up the 416 Taylor, looks like a really neat idea! How do you like it?

Hello OzarkSafariGuy,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Hello and welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH OzarkSafariGuy!

Thanks!
I just looked up the 416 Taylor, looks like a really neat idea! How do you like it?

Love it!

416 Rigby results in a standard M98 Mauser action...

It’s a little bit on the high end of the pressure spectrum, but still well within what the large ring Mauser action can handle.. and from a recoil perspective, only slightly more of a hit than a 375 H&H.. (if someone can handle 375H&H, they can handle the Taylor)...

While it’s still something of a wildcat after all of these years and none of the big manufacturers produce ammo for it, components, to include properly head stamped brass are easy to find (outside of the constraints of today’s crazy market), and it’s very easy to load for as well...

OzarkSafariGuy, welcome to the AH forum! Looking forward to reading how your 500J build goes.

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH.

Giday OzarkSafariGuy and welcome to the A H forums. You are in good company here with many of us having a similar addiction for making things. Have dabbled in building quite a few rifles but now it is mainly knives that fill in my days. Look forward to seeing your posts on the Jeffery.

Welcome to AH

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Looking forward to being a part of this, will keep yall updated on the build! Trying to figure out what barrel twist I want, and trying to find brass. But other than that, I think I'm off to a pretty good start.

Welcome to AH! Glad you found us and joined our community. Enjoy the site and have fun planning!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!