Howa or Mossberg

Gauge

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm looking at getting a 30 06. I have two choices that are in my budget. The Howa or the Mossberg. Has anyone got any reviews on these makes and which might be the better one to go with?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Gauge

Look at a Tikka T3 great rifles, very accurate. Check out Europtics for a special pricing less than 500.00. Otherwise, a Howa or Weatherby Vanguard S2.

I'm a Howa/Vanguad fan. We have four Vanguards in the family. That being said I've been very impressed with the Mossberg Patriot. The deciding factor for me would be stocks. If I wanted wood I would probably get a Patriot, if not I don't know.

I don't have but I have shot a Howa .270, of those two choices I would pick Howa

Why not look for a Springfield 03 or a Remington 03-A3? Sporterized they make great guns. Mine will group with the best of them and a site better than most.

At that price point, I would buy a Ruger American or a savage. You are not going to get a beauty queen out of any of these guns but they should all serve the purpose intended, I'm assuming placing venison in the freezer. I have shot just short of a load of the rugers lately and all have shot very well and they are dirt cheep! Hell I even bought one in 300 Blkout. The savages have always shot well, can't remember one I've ever picked up that didn't shoot well, the company has come a long way with their products.
But your question mentioned two specific rifles and I would probably lean toward the HOWA just due to the fact they do shoot well. Try them all on for size, one will feel better than the rest and buy it. Sooner you buy that '06 the sooner you can start looking for a 375!
Good luck,
Cody

I have a Vanguard/Howa and the accuracy is impressive

Of the two choices you listed, I would go with the Howa. However, the Mossburg Patriot has gotten some good reviews.

Randy Wakeman, one of the few gun writers who will really criticize a junk gun when needed, gave the Mossburg a good review:
http://randywakeman.com/TheCurrentStateoftheAffordableBoltActionRifle.htm
http://randywakeman.com/FirearmsBargainsoftheFall2016.html
http://randywakeman.com/ReviewMossbergPatriotWalnut270WinchesterBoltActionRifle.htm

Other articles on "budget rifles"
http://randywakeman.com/CheapBoltActionRifleMania.htm
http://randywakeman.com/BoltActionRifleComparisonSavageWeatherbyBrowning270Winchester.htm

A must see video Wakeman did on the Browning's budget gun, the A-Bolt 3. At about 6 minutes into the video, you'll see Randy put 3 bullets in something very close to one hole with factory ammo.
http://randywakeman.com/BrowningAB3VideoReview.htm

The Howa would be my preference of the two but ... if the budget is really tight, the Mossberg would leave more money for a good scope, good ring-mounts and good bases. The Howa will retain its value better and if you wanted to restock it at a later stage, you would be spoiled for choice.

I just bought a new series 2 Vanguard ($599 Cdn approx $420 US) in 30-06 (my first go figure) and it is a great gun. Not a lightweight at 9.1 lbs 24" barrel and scope but is shoots great and kicks less than my 308 savage 111 trophy hunter in 308. Tikka is also a great choice and a true tack driver with a bolt as slick as snot on a glass doorknob.

Mossberg made some non-firing firearms designed to be used for demonstration in hunter education classes. I've used seven of these "guns" in teaching the course. In fairness, we didn't get a bolt action centerfire in the package (lever action centerfire, bolt action rimfire, pump, semi-auto & over/under shotguns were used). I don't know if the "demo" guns were made to a lower level of quality than the firing guns, but all of the seven that we used had real problem. Before I bought a Mossberg I would want to hold it first and be able to check it's functioning.

Thanks everyone for all the input! I'm getting the howa. Tikka here in RSA is almost 3 times the price of what you get it for in the USA. What i need it for is for my PH course next year. Thanks again!

I would buy a used one off of Gunbroker. I got a dreamy Ruger for less than $500.

Had you mentioned that you lived in the RSA some of the comments you received may have been different. I know mine would have. There are a lot of options available to U.S. residents that are not available to others. I used my PH's 30-06 Howa last August for a few days while waiting for my guns to arrive from the States. It shot very well. I would expect it to serve your needs as a Plains Game PH for many years to come.

I've got 2 Vanguards (Howas), a .30-06 and a .257 Weatherby. Both are solid, good shooting rifles. I've got no experience with the Mossberg, but can recommend the Howa without reservation.

I am in the hunting industry and shoot almost every day of my life. I wanted to get myself a budget rifle which I can use for work....something that I don't mind to get some scratches on and that can take the punch.
I ended up getting the Howa with a Vortex scope....its been three years later, no problems and I am really impressed. I have nothing negative to say about a Howa. At the end its all about personal choice....when you at the shop, let them show you two or three rifles in your budget class and then pick it up, feel the weight and feel if its sitting good in your shoulders....then make your choice. Remember that a budget rifle you can always change the stock later into a custom made stock and then you have a great rifle made just for you.

I just bought a new series 2 Vanguard ($599 Cdn approx $420 US) in 30-06 (my first go figure) and it is a great gun. Not a lightweight at 9.1 lbs 24" barrel and scope but is shoots great and kicks less than my 308 savage 111 trophy hunter in 308. Tikka is also a great choice and a true tack driver with a bolt as slick as snot on a glass doorknob.

What lcq said. Howa makes the Vanguard S2 for Weatherby, I believe. My 270 is a tack driver with nosler partition 160's. Can't imagine the '06 being any different.

What lcq said. Howa makes the Vanguard S2 for Weatherby, I believe. My 270 is a tack driver with nosler partition 160's. Can't imagine the '06 being any different.

MOA or better with premium ammo guaranteed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross