Howa 1500 - 375 ruger. Getting three to fit in the magazine

Coop 45

Reaction score
Member of
SSAA
Hi all,

I've finally had time to have a fiddle with my Howa 1500 in 375 ruger (in a houge stock) I got it a little while ago but have not had time. Just for a fun practice load I loaded up 50 rounds with 245 gn lead projectiles, sitting on top of 25 grains of trailboss powder. On issue that I've had with this rifle right from the start was that you could not fit three round in the magazine. The third would only just go in, but would make it so tight that all three would then be stuck
After a bit of investigation I found that the steel magazine well is slightly larger than the hole through the trigger guard where the floor plate is attached. So this created a lip. On the bottom of the magazine follower at the back is two rectangular studs. So when you went to push in the third round, it pushed the follower up against the side of the well, and as it went down the stud would catch on the lip.
2 minutes with a file to put a chamfer on the studs has fixed the problem so three rounds go in no problems, and allow for a forth to go in over the top.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Did you get a 20 or 24 inch barrel on your Howa? Howa and Savage, to my knowledge, are the only other Rifle makers besides Ruger to be chambering the 375 Ruger. In time, maybe a few more will.

I know the Trail Boss powders are bulky or fluffy or whatever they call it, but it just seems strange to hear about a 25 grain load in a good size cartridge, as opposed to 65 to 80 grains of old school powders

It's the 24" that came drilled and tapped for open sights. I went for the stainless with a houge harvest moon stock. I've put a 2.5-10 x 56 trijicon accupoint on it.

Trailboss is shaped like little donuts. It comes in the same size container as our normal 4kg powder comes in but only weights 1.5kg. With the load I used they are doing about 1100 fps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross