How You'd Do A Whitetail Deer Grand Slam?

Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
Just sitting here thinking how'd I complete the whitetail deer grand slam (http://member.scifirstforhunters.org/static/wha/docs/15/Grand Slam White-tailed Deer.pdf)
- Northeastern Whitetail Deer
- Midwestern Whitetail Deer
- Anticosti Island Whitetail Deer
- Columbia Whitetail Deer
- South American Mountain Whitetail Deer
- Coues Whitetail Deer

Are the ones that interest me the most, what do you think would be the best combination of a variety of terrains and experiences? How would you go about doing it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 9.39.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 9.39.05 AM.png
    376.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Grand Slam White-tailed Deer.pdf
    20.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited by a moderator:
I was unaware this was a thing honestly. I’ve looked at the NA deer slam but not just whitetail

I’ve hunted Coues deer a lot and enjoy hunting Sonora, Mexico the most. Hunted them in AZ and NM a lot also. Sonora offers much more action and you can play the rut a little easier.

the others are pretty locale specific besides the eastern and mid western varieties. Mid western I would concentrate my efforts in Kansas and Iowa but that is mainly where I’ve hunted them, they are shooting great bucks everywhere now it seems.

I would personally hunt the Carmen Mountain whitetail also. Haven’t done it yet but it seems like a nice mountain whitetail hunt and close to the border which could add a little more adventure to the hunt.

enjoy planning!

Seems like that's another list invented to create marketing opportunities for people selling stuff. I'm sure they are interesting and probably worthwhile hunts, but not sure why the list matters! Just choose the places and deer hunts YOU are interested in.

Rant: I hate SCI slams, etc. gives hunting a bad name with these contests. I realize that SCI does this for the revenue selling these “trophy” packages. The buyers get “bragging” rights in which that get their name on a list and a board to place in the wall. (Which will be trashed upon the owners death).

Rant: I hate SCI slams, etc. gives hunting a bad name with these contests. I realize that SCI does this for the revenue selling these “trophy” packages. The buyers get “bragging” rights in which that get their name on a list and a board to place in the wall. (Which will be trashed upon the owners death).
Yep, and then get people wound up as bad as everyone hoarding TP now or 22 ammo a few years ago. The various sheep slams, like the North American Grand Slam of four sheep and worse, the Grand Slam/Ovis of 9 species/subspecies in this continent alone has pushed sheep hunting out of the realm of many hunters.

Are the ones that interest me the most, what do you think would be the best combination of a variety of terrains and experiences?

The intent of this post was centered around the versatility of terrains that you can do whitetail deer hunting and which "species" appealed to you in order to educate myself and give ideas for the future. It was not an opportunity for virtue signaling or debating the concept of a slam. Keep it on topic please and thank you. (y)

I look at whitetail hunting similar to rabbit and squirrel hunting I used to do as a kid. For the pot, and do something to fill the time when there is nothing else to do. When I lived in Texas my ex-father-in-law had a ranch where I filled all my tags within the first week of hunting season and got a couple of freezers worth meat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,