How to divide the calibers for the safaris

308W

AH senior member
Reaction score
Have a look on this site http://www.safariammo.net/ and see how they divide calibers for dangerous games and plain games.

243 Win. and 308 Win. are obviously mentioned in the list of plane games.

Please take note in the same list is not included the 375 H&H.

Maybe they need an help from same genius of this site. :A Tease:

I think they are right to put the .375’s in the DG category even though we all use the .375 for PG as well.

Thats optional, the 375 is obviously a tad strong and not needed for PG but does yeomans work there and is more than decent on DG, including elephant if one can shoot well. A sbject on much to be made out of nothing..

"It is the mark of an educated man to look for precision in each class of things just so far as the nature of the subject admits; it is evidently equally foolish to accept probable reasoning from a mathematician and to demand from a rhetorician scientific proofs." - Aristotle, Ethics, I:3

Dividing cartridges into categories as to their suitability for various kinds of game is, necessarily, an arbitrary proposition. I don't understand what the question is.

The hard thing with “plains game” is that it includes such a wide array of species. Off top of my head would be duiker to eland. Steenbuck to zebra, Vaal rhebuck or damara dik dik to blue wildebeest or waterbuck. (Just random examples) So splitting calibers into categories gets crazy and complicated really fast.
Almost as complicated as getting hunters to agree on what are acceptable calibers! :ROFLMAO:

Leave the 243 at home w/ the women & children, where there it can only wound deer w/ typ (87 gr factory varmint load) neck shots. lol Selection for Africa: .375 or larger for DG, <.375 w/ adequate case capacity and SD for quick kills, for PG. A photo of your .243 by your bedside in camp should be fine, unless you're doing the pygmy antelope slam or 'after the R&W copper sprinbok. Use those "heavy-for-caliber" 105 grainers. lol I'm a big fan of .257s, but i leave them at home for Africa. Hot .264 and up (using high SD, heavier bullets) is where it's at. I do not consider the Needmore "hot."

Using the law of averages, take 1-2 other points of view from Kevin Robertson and Art Alphin and see what you come up with re: hunting in Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg