How to conserve a used gun

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I just thought some of you might be interested in how to conserve (not restore, conserve) a used gun. Restorations focus on removing material and reapplying it, whereas conservation removes no original finish or condition, it only puts back what is missing.

Everyone should learn how to conserve their guns when acquired and therefore you’ll be able to maintain your guns ongoing through their useful life.

In this example, we found a dangerous game rifle for my son, a dakota model 76. The gun was not abused, but it has been used and carried on safaris so there is wear. We have no interest in rebluing the gun, nor do we want to strip off the finish, or use sandpaper, but we do want to take a gun in what appears 85% condition and bring it back to 95%-98% condition. You may ask “what’s the point, you’re taking it on safari and it will be back in 85% condition in no time”. Yes, that’s true, but the additional conservation will ensure that you can bring it back to 95% condition yet again, whereas using it in 85% condition will take it down to 80%, than 70% and eventually you will have a firearm that requires a full restoration to bring it back to condition. Restoration is evil, destructive, and removes things that can never be put back right again. (Like wood, or metal)

In this example, here is what we are doing.

1.) Wood has small dents, scratches, micro-scratches, and the pores are opening up which indicates oil finish is thinning. These photos are before and then mid-project. Another month’s work is required to put the finish back completely. It’s easy, 4-5 drops of oil, every other day, rubbed in until warm continues. The warmth and gentle friction backs out small dings. Small scratches get filled by the oils. Larger scratches gain color and blend in. Lastly, the pores close so you start to get that glassy finish. Final coat decides whether it will be a muted London satin finish or a shiny semi-gloss. When this is completely done, a couple coats of renaissance wax or bowling alley wax is applied for wear/UV/water resistance. Upon return from safari, mineral spirits will be rubbed on the stock to remove all the wax and the above process will repeat again. The faster you readdress dents with warm friction of rubbing on oil, the greater the dent will yield back to its original (un-dented) shape.

2.) The case color metal appeared quite worn. Untrue. The actual case colors had only lost 2% of their colors, but the 20%+ loss was the illusion of clear Laqueur finish having been scratched off. Violin finish is a specialty fast-drying lacquer that hardens when applied in a matter of a few minutes. Reapplying lacquer ensures case colors do not fade and that sweat/salt doesn’t erode them.

3.) The barrel was gilded with brass and copper that accumulated. A regimen of wipe out bore foam, copper solvents, kroil soaked JB bore paste, and many (50-200 passes) with a nylon brush over several sessions will remove the layers of copper/brass/lead/powder that have accumulated due to haphazard or single-solvent cleaning that could not budge the various debris.

4.) The last thing to address is the blueing. Yes, there has been finish loss from carry, but most wear observed is not actually bluing loss, it is bleed-through of oxidation through thinning bluing, or it is surface metal rubbed on top of the bluing by sling swivels and the like. Using 0000 Bronze wool and Kroil as a penetrating oil will excise foreign metal and rust without being hard enough to remove any original finish.

Doing all these things when you acquire a used gun, and then every time you return from a safari, will ensure that your guns do not erode over time. A gun carried 30 days a year and treated to such practices will still look 90% condition after a half century of use. 100 years later, the gun will endure its first full restoration of which the average gun can endure two in its lifetime before things start to get severely worn.

P.s. - Last 4 pictures are mid-conservation, the prior are all “before photos”.

79E1561A-4DFC-48BF-889B-B1E46B774A1C.jpeg
19B5E206-571B-4FB3-9AC1-3A403078BE35.jpeg
7AFD6DFF-62E5-4110-A1AD-F26B46899AA2.jpeg
190AD263-3915-457B-AC3C-4FFC0C44C819.jpeg
FE754EE1-2784-4EAA-A03A-24D9192D3E9C.jpeg
CED74858-10B6-44FC-A2C8-670E6AEC4536.jpeg
83D9A856-FEFB-4AD1-B7A9-331E7127BE42.jpeg
63838F9A-BA34-4356-8A29-07CA3A3AE938.jpeg
79B41A90-A163-4590-9049-A6047190F876.jpeg
05D19286-80FD-4130-BC8D-3FBADD208B33.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just thought some of you might be interested in how to conserve (not restore, conserve) a used gun. Restorations focus on removing material and reapplying it, whereas conservation removes no original finish or condition, it only puts back what is missing.

Everyone should learn how to conserve their guns when acquired and therefore you’ll be able to maintain your guns ongoing through their useful life.

In this example, we found a dangerous game rifle for my son, a dakota model 76. The gun was not abused, but it has been used and carried on safaris so there is wear. We have no interest in rebluing the gun, nor do we want to strip off the finish, or use sandpaper, but we do want to take a gun in what appears 85% condition and bring it back to 95%-98% condition. You may ask “what’s the point, you’re taking it on safari and it will be back in 85% condition in no time”. Yes, that’s true, but the additional conservation will ensure that you can bring it back to 95% condition yet again, whereas using it in 85% condition will take it down to 80%, than 70% and eventually you will have a firearm that requires a full restoration to bring it back to condition. Restoration is evil, destructive, and removes things that can never be put back right again. (Like wood, or metal)

In this example, here is what we are doing.

1.) Wood has small dents, scratches, micro-scratches, and the pores are opening up which indicates oil finish is thinning. These photos are before and then mid-project. Another month’s work is required to put the finish back completely. It’s easy, 4-5 drops of oil, every other day, rubbed in until warm continues. The warmth and gentle friction backs out small dings. Small scratches get filled by the oils. Larger scratches gain color and blend in. Lastly, the pores close so you start to get that glassy finish. Final coat decides whether it will be a muted London satin finish or a shiny semi-gloss. When this is completely done, a couple coats of renaissance wax or bowling alley wax is applied for wear/UV/water resistance. Upon return from safari, mineral spirits will be rubbed on the stock to remove all the wax and the above process will repeat again. The faster you readdress dents with warm friction of rubbing on oil, the greater the dent will yield back to its original (un-dented) shape.

2.) The case color metal appeared quite worn. Untrue. The actual case colors had only lost 2% of their colors, but the 20%+ loss was the illusion of clear Laqueur finish having been scratched off. Violin finish is a specialty fast-drying lacquer that hardens when applied in a matter of a few minutes. Reapplying lacquer ensures case colors do not fade and that sweat/salt doesn’t erode them.

3.) The barrel was gilded with brass and copper that accumulated. A regimen of wipe out bore foam, copper solvents, kroil soaked JB bore paste, and many (50-200 passes) with a nylon brush over several sessions will remove the layers of copper/brass/lead/powder that have accumulated due to haphazard or single-solvent cleaning that could not budge the various debris.

4.) The last thing to address is the blueing. Yes, there has been finish loss from carry, but most wear observed is not actually bluing loss, it is bleed-through of oxidation through thinning bluing, or it is surface metal rubbed on top of the bluing by sling swivels and the like. Using 0000 Bronze wool and Kroil as a penetrating oil will excise foreign metal and rust without being hard enough to remove any original finish.

Doing all these things when you acquire a used gun, and then every time you return from a safari, will ensure that your guns do not erode over time. A gun carried 30 days a year and treated to such practices will still look 90% condition after a half century of use. 100 years later, the gun will endure its first full restoration of which the average gun can endure two in its lifetime before things start to get severely worn.

P.s. - Last 4 pictures are mid-conservation, the prior are all “before photos”.

View attachment 449792View attachment 449793View attachment 449794View attachment 449795View attachment 449796View attachment 449797View attachment 449798View attachment 449799View attachment 449800View attachment 449801
Great info thank you & a beautiful looking rifle.

Money well spent right there (y) A wise approach to maintaining what's a very attractive rifle, while also retaining some character gained from being used. After all that's what they're for.

@rookhawk - Have you tried this, https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/ in lieu of 0000 steel wool? I found this stuff about a year ago and have been very pleased with the results using it. They claim it won't harm bluing (except cold blue). Most recent use was on a CZ550 that had some surface rust on the barrel and a bit on the extractor. Used the Big45 with WD40 and it took the rust leaving the bluing unaffected. Seems to live up to it's claim.
Btw, really appreciate the time you take to explain how to find and take care of fine guns. I have found it very helpful. Thank you.

@Woodcarver I have heard of the link you sent me But I’ve never tried it. I’ve had very good luck with 0000 bronze wool over the years as it is very soft and its dander that sheds with use doesn’t fester into rust the way steel wool does.

Even if the metal cleaner you link is better for rust removal, I would still need 0000 bronze for other uses such as wood refinishing.

@rookhawk The dander is one of the things I noticed as missing with this stuff. Cleanup was much easier as no pieces of wool were left anywhere. This stuff is significantly heavier strand than the fine fibers of steel wool.
Hadn't thought about the use on the stock. I have used synthetic pads for so long on wood, I forgot about bronze wool.

Are you using linseed oil or a different product?

Hello @rookhawk,

thanks a lot for sharing another very interesting post with us.

Would you mind going a bit more in detail on the process. You have more than convinced me on the necessity of executing this maintenance, and I would love to learn how to actually do this.

Could you explain step by step on what needs to be done along the way?

First you remove the action from the stock I suppose?
You start with a cleaning, using mineral spirits, (such as Acetone?) that you apply using a piece of cotton? Any materials to avoid (rubber? steel? plastic? ebony tips?) This is lighly rubbed in, until what moment exactly, how should the wood look like? How to go about the checkering, using a toothbrush and acetone?

How long to let it rest and dry out before continuing on?
Any way to help get small dents out at this stage?

Then using the right oil, such as this set recommended by @Red Leg,
IMG_6987.jpg

CCL Traditional Gunstock oil finishing kit | Greenfields Guns

A prefect product to enhance or re-finish all gun stocks
www.greenfieldguns.com
www.greenfieldguns.com

I apply a few drops every other day and rub it out on the full stock with my hands. Again for the checkered part, use a second toothbrush to reach between the points? Any materials to avoid? What about the inside of the stock? Any use adding a minimum amount of oil there? How many layers to add to get optimum result, or how do I know when I'm on the right way?

Thanks a lot for this, when I have everything together, I'll post about the process with some pics :)

Cheers,

V.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 2.52.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 2.52.44 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 2.52.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 2.52.47 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
Last edited by a moderator:
You can use many types of products for this work. What is interesting is it’s not very complicated, each formulation has the same basic ingredients. Boiled Linseed Oil, Turpentine, Wax, alkanet root/oxidized iron/stain, Venetian turpentine, and Japanese dryers.

I’m lazy, so I’m just using Timberluxe for a “top off” to fill the open grain that occurred from wear. I rubbed a paper towel with mineral spirits and wiped all over the stock, it removed wax and dried in a few minutes so I could apply finish.

In this case, the checkering is clean and ready the borders undamaged, so I’m just avoiding touching the checkering at all. If it needed it for an older gun, the last layer of finish would include some thinned finish on a toothbrush run through the checkering. But none this time.

the key is to use very little and to remember you are not putting finish on the stock, you are putting it IN the stock. Very small amounts, swirled into the grain, then a pass with the grain using your fingers to ensure no surface build up. That’s it. 3-15 coats, 1-2 days apart.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 3.16.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 3.16.09 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
after all the oil layers have been added, I can use Renaissance wax on the metal and the stock, for an additional layer of wet weather/rain protection?

after all the oil layers have been added, I can use Renaissance wax on the metal and the stock, for an additional layer of wet weather/rain protection?
Yes. just wait a couple of weeks to insure the oil is completely dry.

The finish wax remover is likely mineral spirits. I’d bet money if you received the material safety data sheet it would reveal mineral spirits being the largest ingredient.

Well, I have some stuff on the way:
1643750258930.png

any buffing that needs to happen between two handrubs? I can use an old shirt for that (or a new one of course, it will just be strange at work ;) )

I have a fun one on my hands! A friend dropped off a CANNON for me to conserve for him. It shot a line and was used on naval boats to shoot a haul line with a floatation device. “We’re here to rescue you, now let me aim this cannon full of black powder at you”.

It should be a fun project. It weighs about 300lbs.

I have a fun one on my hands! A friend dropped off a CANNON for me to conserve for him. It shot a line and was used on naval boats to shoot a haul line with a floatation device. “We’re here to rescue you, now let me aim this cannon full of black powder at you”.

It should be a fun project. It weighs about 300lbs.
There was a cannon for sale down the road from me for $3000, 6 pounder probably. I was sorely tempted to buy it.

Have fun with your project!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!