How they like to hunt

JLF

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
What is the form or style of hunting that you like the most, and therefore what are the things that you do not like to do to hunt?

I prefer still hunting and spot and stalk,
I am not a fan of long shots on wild game.
thats just me though and too each there own

In my case, I hunt the stalks, looking for footprints, tracking. I love hunting in the forest, I do not use dogs, guides or companions. I shoot at close range, I don't like long distance shooting. I do not hunt fattened animals. What I hunt if or if I eat it. I like to stay overnight in the forest.
If I have to look for a wounded animal, I also go alone without dogs ... I wounded him I look for him, my friends advise me to use dogs to look for the wounded animal but since I am a prickly pear head (hard head) I don't. ..
I enjoy hunting more than killing the animal. I try to perfect my hunting style.

In Africa my favorite hunts are tracking. Specifically elephant, buffalo and eland.

My favorite hunts in NA are bear and sheep, spot and stalk hunting.

My least favorite hunting is a blind over bait. No issue with others doing it, just not for me.

My dream hunt, a tracking hunt for wild lion in the Kalahari.

snow tracking deer I rarely get to do it though winters don't come early enough anymore.

I'm also a big fan of hunting over hounds. Them good frosty mornings when sound carries well and all the worlds still, then the hounds open there's nothing like it. I envy you gentleman who get to hound cats and bears we're limited to rabbit and coons here.

In Africa my favorite hunts are tracking. Specifically elephant, buffalo and eland.

My favorite hunts in NA are bear and sheep, spot and stalk hunting.

My least favorite hunting is a blind over bait. No issue with others doing it, just not for me.

My dream hunt, a tracking hunt for wild lion in the Kalahari.
It must be a hunt with great difficulty hunting a lion and at the same time fascinating ...

snow tracking deer I rarely get to do it though winters don't come early enough anymore.

I'm also a big fan of hunting over hounds. Them good frosty mornings when sound carries well and all the worlds still, then the hounds open there's nothing like it. I envy you gentleman who get to hound cats and bears we're limited to rabbit and coons here.
Every hunt has its charm ...
An African proverb says: If you go hunting elephants do not despise a snail.

WHAT I DO LIKE:
I enjoy more hunting activities or “hunting styles” if you prefer, than the two I have listed.
But, the following two are my favorites, in order of preference.
Wandering far and wide, with rifle, binoculars and a sack lunch.
The particular species is not near as important as the above described activity itself.
Upland bird hunting, (especially but not limited to grouse) over properly trained pointing dogs.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE:
I want to mention that I do not think any of the following are necessarily always “wrong” for others.
It’s just that I do not care to participate in these.
Being in camp when anyone is present who aggressively brags about having shot a large (via tape measure) specimen.
Or conversely, if they pout because someone else shot a larger measuring specimen than Mister Pouty Pants himself had shot.
Large numbers of pheasant hunters, walking abreast of each other, toward the end of a field, where there are other hunters waiting for the running birds to arrive and be flushed.
During the battle, many of the guys are screaming as loud as humanly possible, “hen! hen! rooster! rooster! rooster! (when they’re not too busy cursing loudly at their untrained dogs LOL).
Seeing anyone pursue game animals with a motor vehicle.
Shooting at night, no matter if it might be perfectly legal.
Sitting still for extended periods of time, such as for whitetail deer or leopard, to name a couple of several species commonly hunted this way.

NOTE:
The above described dislikes #2 and #3 do not apply to how I feel about culling and/or pest control and/or recovering an already wounded game animal.

Last edited:
What I like in hunting, in order of preference:
1. Stalking (roe deer) Alo any game hunted by stalking.
2. Pheasant shoot, with bird dogs, not driven birds to peg.
3. Hunting from high stand, or blind
4. driven boar hunts, especially with respect to point 1, below

What I dont like.
1. Rude, uneducated, unsafe in gun handling - type of people around me
2. Night hunting
3. Guns abused by total negligence, rusted, not sighted in, etc
4. Military equipment in hunting (military - camo cloths, rifles, ammo, etc)

I may be an outlier in each of these preferences, but I do have a certain way of doing things that works for me. And, you asked.

1. I really prefer hunting alone, or 1:1 with a guide. I’m not in it for the camaraderie.
2. I hunt some from a blind and over bait, but much prefer still hunting or spot and stalk.
3. Other than upland birds, I have a strong aversion to hunting with dogs. Just not for me.
4. I enjoy using repurposed and refinished military surplus rifles, the older the better. It’s as close as I’ll get to beating swords into plowshares. Receiver aperture sights instead of optics where practical.
5. When I plan a hunt, other than GPS I try to keep it as low-tech as possible to keep things challenging.

[QUOTE"Trail Rated, post: 686804, miembro: 42256"]
Puedo ser un atípico en cada una de estas preferencias, pero tengo una cierta manera de hacer cosas que funcionan para mí. Y, tú preguntaste.

1. Realmente prefiero cazar solo, o 1:1 con un guía. No estoy en eso por la camaradería.
2. Cazo algunos de un cebo ciego y sobre, pero mucho prefiero todavía la caza o mancha y tallo.
3. Aparte de las aves de tierras altas, tengo una fuerte aversión a la caza con perros. Pero no para mí.
4. Disfruto usando fusiles de excedentes militares reutilizados y refinishedados, cuanto más viejo, mejor. Es lo más cerca que voy a golpear espadas en arados. Receptor miras de apertura en lugar de óptica donde sea práctico.
5. Cuando planeo una cacería, aparte del GPS trato de mantenerla lo más baja posible para mantener las cosas desafiantes.
[/QUOTE]
Así como no te gusta la tecnología aplicada a la caza, lo único es GPS, para no perderte, marco de entrada de waypoint y a menos que llegues a cazar, en cuyo caso marco el waypoint donde está el animal caído, no en marcar ninguna otra coordenada. Sin silenciadores, sin gafas de visión nocturna, sin caza de un vehículo, sin caza usando luz artificial...
Me gustaría utilizar un arma de origen militar para la caza, por ejemplo un Mosin Nagant ...

Last edited:
Just as you do not like the technology applied to hunting, the only thing is GPS, so as not to get lost, waypoint entry frame and unless you get to hunt, in which case I mark the waypoint where the fallen animal is, not to mark any other coordinate. No silencers, no night vision goggles, no vehicle hunting, no hunting using artificial light ...
I would like to use a weapon of military origin for hunting, for example a Mosin Nagant ...

I like to walk with a rifle and see what is on offer. Generally it’s just pests but that’s hunting. Hunting a pig, shooting a fox. It’s a successful hunt and what I am most likely to encounter where I primarily hunt. Goats are likely a deer is a possibility although rare they have been found downstream of an area they inhabit..
I am fascinated by dangerous game but it’s not in my budget anytime soon.

I will say that I support all means of LEGAL hunting to the fullest extent.
That includes with dogs...
Off a vehicle...
At night...
Over bait...
With MSR's...etc, etc...
If it's legal, I have no problem with anyone doing it.

How do I like to hunt?
That's simple...with my wife.
She has an incredible knack for seeing game.
We hunt for food and fun...and try not to forget about the fun.

Stalk hunting, especially in the mountains and hills.
Any hunt with a fair amount of tracking involved.
Pheasant hunting over a good pair of dogs, nothing quite like it and watching the dogs work is a pleasure in and of itself.
Good friends and huntsmen in the field, then sharing stories (even those about the big one that got away :) ) and enjoying a good meal and a few adult beverages afterwards.

Dislikes:

Shooting from a vehicle, simply not hunting in my world, though some dig it. To each their own.
Blind or hi-chair....nothing wrong about these hunts, have done a few, just not my thing.
Dumb ass people that have no business being anywhere near a rifle or shotgun, let alone with one in the field....we all know the type.
Please don’t get bootie tickled over this if you are a bow hunter as it doesn’t apply to the majority, but dislike arrogant bow hunters. Run into a number of them over the years that look down their noses at rifle hunters with this odd air of superiority because they consider themselves “true hunters”. Normally laugh and let stuff like that slide off my back like water off a duck’s butt, but for some reason that attitude just irks the hell out of me.

Open Minded/Curious About:

Driven hunt....never been on a true driven hunt but would like to give it a go someday.
Long distance shots on game. Personally choose not to do this as I enjoy stalking and getting in as close as possible, a 300-400 yard shot is a longish one for me. Open to it so long as whatever your shooting has the power to ethically drop the animal with one shot at X distance, and you have the skills of course. The guys that can do that amaze me, they are excellent marksman and know their ballistics. Doubt I’ll ever be that good a shot at some of the extended ranges, just seeing that far has become more of an issue for me over the years :)
Crossbow hunting...never tried it but looks like it might be fun.

I like to walk with a rifle and see what is on offer. Generally it’s just pests but that’s hunting. Hunting a pig, shooting a fox. It’s a successful hunt and what I am most likely to encounter where I primarily hunt. Goats are likely a deer is a possibility although rare they have been found downstream of an area they inhabit..
I am fascinated by dangerous game but it’s not in my budget anytime soon.
Come to Argentina, I offer you to hunt wild boar or axis deer for free ... with all the permits ... but without comforts as in the preserves or in the African lodge ... you sleep in the open or in a tent according to the time of the year ... the only thing is the language, but I will try to learn to speak it ..

[QUOTE"Trail Rated, post: 686804, miembro: 42256"]
Puedo ser un atípico en cada una de estas preferencias, pero tengo una cierta manera de hacer cosas que funcionan para mí. Y, tú preguntaste.

1. Realmente prefiero cazar solo, o 1:1 con un guía. No estoy en eso por la camaradería.
2. Cazo algunos de un cebo ciego y sobre, pero mucho prefiero todavía la caza o mancha y tallo.
3. Aparte de las aves de tierras altas, tengo una fuerte aversión a la caza con perros. Pero no para mí.
4. Disfruto usando fusiles de excedentes militares reutilizados y refinishedados, cuanto más viejo, mejor. Es lo más cerca que voy a golpear espadas en arados. Receptor miras de apertura en lugar de óptica donde sea práctico.
5. Cuando planeo una cacería, aparte del GPS trato de mantenerla lo más baja posible para mantener las cosas desafiantes.
Así como no te gusta la tecnología aplicada a la caza, lo único es GPS, para no perderte, marco de entrada de waypoint y a menos que llegues a cazar, en cuyo caso marco el waypoint donde está el animal caído, no en marcar ninguna otra coordenada. Sin silenciadores, sin gafas de visión nocturna, sin caza de un vehículo, sin caza usando luz artificial...
Me gustaría
[/QUOTE]
Come to Argentina, I offer you to hunt wild boar or axis deer for free ... with all the permits ... but without comforts as in the preserves or in the African lodge ... you sleep in the open or in a tent according to the time of the year ... the only thing is the language, but I will try to learn to speak it ..

Mate, if you are Fair Dinkum (means genuine) I will start saving and google where Argentina is. Tent, camping no problem..Happy.
Are you writing through a translating software?
I only know English. We speak English with some funny Australian terms that we call “Slang” that is a shortened word or term for something we would all understand. I hope I explained that.
I will send private message sometime but I would try travel if I had a contact who can take me for a hunt in another country . It’s the experience that I want not a trophy or mount.
Meeting locals, local food and shooting Wild Boar overseas would be great.

I use a translator but I try to accommodate the phrase so that nothing else is understood.
For my part I promise to take a course to learn to speak English ....
I don't care about trophies either, I like to hunt ... and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hunting field is in Mercedes, Corrientes province.
A while ago I finished talking to my friend from Mercedes, and he says that many wild boars, wild pig and quite an axis ... It is a good hunting area and much better people, humble but with a big heart.

Humble is good. I like to pay my way with fuel, food drinks but I cannot afford a lot of guided hunting or trophy fees so the experience is good

Is it hard to travel in Argentina if you don’t know the language? I could try learn some of the local language because we cannot travel yet my wife does not hunt but would like to travel anywhere I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg