Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
There are many wonderful stories in our 40-year history, and one of our favorites began with a phone call in 1994. It was the GM of Cabela’s, the World’s Foremost Outfitter, explaining that the mail-order company was opening its very first retail store in Sidney, Nebraska, and asking if we could provide some mounts for a large concrete wall in the facility. When the conversation began with Dick and Jim Cabela, Mike Boyce told them he thought he could do better than heads on a wall — that he had an idea. This is the story of how the first Cabela’s store changed the taxidermy industry forever.

Cabelas.jpg

A Novel Idea

“It was the first time I built a model that showed typography of alpine peaks to foothills down to prairie and desert,” Mike remembers. “It had waterfalls on both sides that created streams and ponds, and the whole concept was that you could then put animals in their appropriate habitats.”

Here’s the thing — absolutely no one had done that before.

“Now it’s considered normal,” Mike laughs, “but then it was utterly groundbreaking and once they got the concept, their jaws just dropped.”

The Cabelas were game, and on the strength of handshake, the project began. The model was taken to the job site and served as a blueprint for construction. “In the meantime, we were mounting all of the animals that would go on the mountain,” says Mike. “It was in the neighborhood of 40, 45 animals. Some were small, but most were big game animals — sheep, goat, caribou, grizzly, moose, the whole thing. We’re mounting that while we’re building the mountain.”

One of the animals needed for the Cabela’s installation was a big, ten-foot Kodiak brown bear. “And there were none to be found at any price,” says Mike. “They just weren’t available. There were scrawny little ones and bad skins, but no good ones. I had hunted a Kodiak bear, my first one, probably ten years earlier. It was one of my prized possessions. And, to be very candid, I was trying to make payroll. So I called them and I said I’ve got this bear, and they said what do you want for it, and I told them and they said okay. I got the money, it immediately went to payroll, and they got the bear and it’s still there.”

KodiakBear_Mike.jpg

The Vision Takes Shape

And as the mountain began taking shape, the Cabelas and everyone else on site “began to really see and get the vision,” remembers Mike. “This is very typical in my business. You can explain things to people, but they can’t envision it. And when they started to see it, they became very excited. And — they knew the term now — there are other dioramas that we could place here and place there, and we ended up doing about four other dioramas in that first store.”

Each of the installations featured a mural to anchor it, and they all shared the kind of action that had truly never been seen before. “When it was done, there was a grand opening,” Mike says, “and the parking lot was packed. It was so packed, they were waiting for some people to leave before letting new people in. And the word spread like wildfire.”

In those days, “it was an event to go to a Cabela’s store, not just to buy equipment, but for the experience of what you were seeing,” says Mike, which is a sentiment that remains true to this day. “They put a fence around it, they called it the conservation mountain, and they had a brochure that explained all of the animals and their location,” remembers Mike, “and they hired someone to stand there and hand them out and answer questions.”

The first store was a huge success, and it “gave them such confidence that they moved right on and did four other stores immediately,” says Mike. “It was obvious there was a market for it, and they started putting these stores in and we were involved in each of those. It became the iconic image of Cabela’s in the first store and the dozens that followed. Bass Pro followed suit, and Scheels did the very same thing. It became the norm for outdoor stores to do the thing that Animal Artistry invented. And we did invent it, purely — it wasn’t a variation on a theme. It was our idea.”

The Residential Influence

As outdoors stores continued to take this diorama idea and run with it, Animal Artistry did the same. “When people would call for trophy rooms, we would suggest essentially bringing that concept into their home, reduced in size,” says Mike. “The idea was not just having severed heads on a wall, not a den of death, but actually telling a story. We brought the living outdoors indoors, and it again found a huge audience — it was the first time it had ever been done.”

In years past, the trophy room was truly that — a den of death. “They were invented back in the 50s and 60s,” explains Mike, “and 99% of what was there was severed heads and shoulder months, rugs on the floor, all packed together. If it was a life-size, it was standing, and if it was a lion or a bear, it was snarling. It was actually grotesque and comical, there was no interaction between the animals and there was no habitat. We started changing that up, and now everything is based off that.”

Picture2.jpg

An Industry Changed, Forever

We’ve had the good fortune of working for so many memorable clients, but Cabela’s remains a true highlight. Our work at the first Cabela’s store changed the direction of our business and indeed the industry as a whole. Mike’s beautiful bear stands on that conservation mountain in Sidney, Nebraska, to this day, and it’s a wonderful tribute to a concept that would have an incredible impact on taxidermy.

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
Great story, thanks for sharing. I always enjoy seeing the dioramas at any Cabela's I am able to visit.
For sure! Thank you for reading!

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Enjoyed your story and the history. Much appeciated.

Bhfs300

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA Canada South Africa New Zealand
Hi

Sorry but when Cabelas was bought out the quality of the store dropped off 90%.
I called it Mecca and would drive up to Sidney once a year. Then we got a store in Colorado and I would just go and see all the deals and spend my CARD money when it built up.
I dropped the card when it turned into a MasterCard?
You need to tell the story of the worn out animals sitting in a store likes the Bass Pro stores.

Tom!!!!

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
In 1998, I visited the new Cabela's store in Owatonna, Mn, when I was back there for a family reunion. I think it was the 2nd, or 3rd, Cabela's store in the country at the time.
The "Taxidermy mountain" was quite impressive.

It is a shame that legacy was aquired by Bass Pro..

Last edited:

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I was there when that store opened it was awesome! It wasn’t their first store, however it was their first ‘superstore’. Prior to it’s opening they had a wood framed store in downtown Sydney and a larger store in Kearney. I wish they had stayed private and controlled their growth. They’ve been ruined by Bass Pro Shops.

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA & RSA
Thanks for sharing.... my first experience with full on Taxidermy was believe it or not the Big Texan in Amarillo.... passing thru as a kid. I was like, man, I want to have some stuff like this when I get older. As the wheels would turn.... my good buddy, PH & taxidermist live in Amarillo..... 30 + years later. Talk about small world we live in. Now there’s a Cabelas 2 miles from my house.... my kids like to check out the Taxidermie.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Michael, thanks for sharing this bit of history with us. Taking the "kids" to Cabela's to see the animals was one way to spend time with them as well as being able to purchase excellent outdoor gear. If it weren't for Cabela's I'd probably still be hunting in "thermal knit" cotton long johns, thinking that was the best you could get. The demise of that American "Icon" since being bought out by Bass Pro is nothing short of catastrophic in my opinion.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Michael, thanks for sharing this bit of history with us. Taking the "kids" to Cabela's to see the animals was one way to spend time with them as well as being able to purchase excellent outdoor gear. If it weren't for Cabela's I'd probably still be hunting in "thermal knit" cotton long johns, thinking that was the best you could get. The demise of that American "Icon" since being bought out by Bass Pro is nothing short of catastrophic in my opinion.

I Agree art. The one in Kansas City just seems empty now. However, the mountain of North America animals still looks amazing. I always take a quick turn through the African exhibit.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
There are many wonderful stories in our 40-year history, and one of our favorites began with a phone call in 1994. It was the GM of Cabela’s, the World’s Foremost Outfitter, explaining that the mail-order company was opening its very first retail store in Sidney, Nebraska, and asking if we could provide some mounts for a large concrete wall in the facility. When the conversation began with Dick and Jim Cabela, Mike Boyce told them he thought he could do better than heads on a wall — that he had an idea. This is the story of how the first Cabela’s store changed the taxidermy industry forever.

View attachment 353295

A Novel Idea

“It was the first time I built a model that showed typography of alpine peaks to foothills down to prairie and desert,” Mike remembers. “It had waterfalls on both sides that created streams and ponds, and the whole concept was that you could then put animals in their appropriate habitats.”

Here’s the thing — absolutely no one had done that before.

“Now it’s considered normal,” Mike laughs, “but then it was utterly groundbreaking and once they got the concept, their jaws just dropped.”

The Cabelas were game, and on the strength of handshake, the project began. The model was taken to the job site and served as a blueprint for construction. “In the meantime, we were mounting all of the animals that would go on the mountain,” says Mike. “It was in the neighborhood of 40, 45 animals. Some were small, but most were big game animals — sheep, goat, caribou, grizzly, moose, the whole thing. We’re mounting that while we’re building the mountain.”

One of the animals needed for the Cabela’s installation was a big, ten-foot Kodiak brown bear. “And there were none to be found at any price,” says Mike. “They just weren’t available. There were scrawny little ones and bad skins, but no good ones. I had hunted a Kodiak bear, my first one, probably ten years earlier. It was one of my prized possessions. And, to be very candid, I was trying to make payroll. So I called them and I said I’ve got this bear, and they said what do you want for it, and I told them and they said okay. I got the money, it immediately went to payroll, and they got the bear and it’s still there.”

View attachment 353303

The Vision Takes Shape

And as the mountain began taking shape, the Cabelas and everyone else on site “began to really see and get the vision,” remembers Mike. “This is very typical in my business. You can explain things to people, but they can’t envision it. And when they started to see it, they became very excited. And — they knew the term now — there are other dioramas that we could place here and place there, and we ended up doing about four other dioramas in that first store.”

Each of the installations featured a mural to anchor it, and they all shared the kind of action that had truly never been seen before. “When it was done, there was a grand opening,” Mike says, “and the parking lot was packed. It was so packed, they were waiting for some people to leave before letting new people in. And the word spread like wildfire.”

In those days, “it was an event to go to a Cabela’s store, not just to buy equipment, but for the experience of what you were seeing,” says Mike, which is a sentiment that remains true to this day. “They put a fence around it, they called it the conservation mountain, and they had a brochure that explained all of the animals and their location,” remembers Mike, “and they hired someone to stand there and hand them out and answer questions.”

The first store was a huge success, and it “gave them such confidence that they moved right on and did four other stores immediately,” says Mike. “It was obvious there was a market for it, and they started putting these stores in and we were involved in each of those. It became the iconic image of Cabela’s in the first store and the dozens that followed. Bass Pro followed suit, and Scheels did the very same thing. It became the norm for outdoor stores to do the thing that Animal Artistry invented. And we did invent it, purely — it wasn’t a variation on a theme. It was our idea.”

The Residential Influence

As outdoors stores continued to take this diorama idea and run with it, Animal Artistry did the same. “When people would call for trophy rooms, we would suggest essentially bringing that concept into their home, reduced in size,” says Mike. “The idea was not just having severed heads on a wall, not a den of death, but actually telling a story. We brought the living outdoors indoors, and it again found a huge audience — it was the first time it had ever been done.”

In years past, the trophy room was truly that — a den of death. “They were invented back in the 50s and 60s,” explains Mike, “and 99% of what was there was severed heads and shoulder months, rugs on the floor, all packed together. If it was a life-size, it was standing, and if it was a lion or a bear, it was snarling. It was actually grotesque and comical, there was no interaction between the animals and there was no habitat. We started changing that up, and now everything is based off that.”

View attachment 353308

An Industry Changed, Forever

We’ve had the good fortune of working for so many memorable clients, but Cabela’s remains a true highlight. Our work at the first Cabela’s store changed the direction of our business and indeed the industry as a whole. Mike’s beautiful bear stands on that conservation mountain in Sidney, Nebraska, to this day, and it’s a wonderful tribute to a concept that would have an incredible impact on taxidermy.
@Animal Artistry
My family saw the Cabelas superstore in Winepeg and were absolutely blown away by the sheer size of it. Two highlights that stand out the most to us is the beautiful taxidermy work and murals on the back wall and the elephant tasks that frame the door of the library.
It is absolutely magnificent work.
Bob

Latest profile posts

I’ll never hunt Africa, but give me please a Jack O’Connor hunt up high in the Canadian Rockies!
Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!