How soon should you apply for a New Zealand visitor’s firearm license?

TRAVEL EXPRESS

Sponsor
Since 2010
AH elite
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.travelexpressagency.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
Know your deadlines! How soon should you apply for a New Zealand visitor’s firearm license?

There has been some buzz lately about the New Zealand visitor’s firearm license, and their applicationdeadlines. If you navigate to the Visitors Firearms License and Import Permits page under the New Zealand Police official website, you can see the following:

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 10.20.59 AM.png

This has created some confusion and panic for hunters because the one-month timeframe isn’tmentioned anywhere else on the face of the firearms section of the website. However, if you click on firearms license link to apply, the first line in the instructions now reads “1. Apply for a visitor firearms license at least one month before your visit.”

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 10.21.14 AM.png

It seems this highlighted addition to the instructions may be recent, but the deadline has always been in place. According to a representative with the New Zealand Police, they are working to make the deadline appear more prominently on the website and application to avoid confusion.

So, what is the best way to apply? New Zealand Police strongly suggest you apply online via their website. All applications are now being routed to and processed by the Wellington office. This office

handles all aspects of the licensing including notifications to the applicant, updating their database, and notification to the appropriate airports. We’ve been told applications are being processed in 2-3 business days and find this to be true if the form has been filled out correctly and completely with all requested documents attached.

Hunters arriving with guns into New Zealand without a visitor firearm license are directed to the closest arms officer to apply in person. Licenses are issued at the discretion of the officer, and there is no guarantee a license will be granted when applying this way. The firearms are held by the Police until the visitor has acquired their license from the arms officer.

All things considered, we find the New Zealand permit to be straightforward if you follow the guidelines. Of course, support from a knowledgeable travel agent can relieve a lot of stress and save hours of research. So be sure to call Travel Express before you book your next international flight! Whether you’re flying with rifles for a hunting trip of a lifetime, or are planning your next R & R getaway, we’reexperienced and happy to help.

Attachments

• NZ permit post.pdf
    197.4 KB · Views: 195

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you