How Much You Pay To Go Trophy Hunting In South Africa

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
full

Trophy hunting is worth exceedingly more to the South African economy than previously thought – as much as R1.98 billion if not more.

This is according to a new study headed by Professor Peet van der Merwe of the research unit Tourism Research in Economic Environs and Society (TREES), in collaboration with the Professional Hunters of South Africa (PHASA).

The research aimed to determine the profile of trophy hunters in South Africa, their spending patterns, their reason for hunting, their hunting patterns as well as the economic impact of trophy hunting on South Africa.

The study further evaluated what the most popular species for hunting are and what species generated the most income.

“Our research, which was mainly focused and foreign tourists or hunters, showed that hunters spend an average of $10,300 per hunting trip – about R134,500,” said Van der Merwe.

“The previous study we conducted in 2013 was not nearly as extensive and showed that that trophy hunting contributed R1.3 billion to the economy. Although a lot, we underestimated the value.”

“It also means the market should also stop underestimating hunters. They are not unwise. They don’t want to be duped into a fake hunting experience, they want an authentic African hunting experience. With increasing competition from Namibia, the industry cannot allow missteps like these and must provide quality hunting packages and experiences. Therefore nature and authentic hunts are important,” he said.

Species hunted

According to the survey, the top five game species that were hunted in 2015/16 include: impala, warthog, springbok, kudu and blesbok.

The top five game species that generated the most income were buffalo, lion, sable, kudu and nyala.

The three most popular provinces for trophy hunting were Limpopo, the Eastern Cape and the North West.

Total spending

The average spending of trophy hunters, including game hunted and general spending in South Africa, amounted to $20,135 (R261,761.63).

This excludes the travel cost to SA of $5,068 (R68,527).

If this is multiplied by the number of respondents (362) to the study, it amounts to $7,289,054 (R94,757,710).

The total economic contribution of trophy hunting to the South African economy is therefore estimated to be $130,880,815 (7,600 hunters x $20,135.51) or R1.989 billion.

A split of the data shows that trophy hunters spend a total of R1.02 Billion on the game being hunted, and R967 Million on other general aspects such as transport and accommodation.

Who’s hunting?

The majority of respondents in the study were male (97%) with an average age of 61 years, while 41% of respondents had obtained a diploma or degree, followed by 30% who obtained a post-graduate degree and 19% who obtained a professional education.

Respondents from the USA formed the majority of the sample with 86%, followed by 6% from Canada and 2% from South Africa.

Other counties included Germany, Grenada, Ireland, Norway, Spain and Switzerland.

Half of the respondents (51%) had one hunter accompanying them on their hunting trip, followed by 40% who had two to five hunters accompanying them.

32% of respondents indicated that they stayed 10 to 12 nights at their hunting destination, followed by 26% who stayed between seven and eight nights and 13% who stayed between 13 and 15 nights.

Source: https://businesstech.co.za/news/bus...you-pay-to-go-trophy-hunting-in-south-africa/

Good information to have!

That's excellent info.

I've often wondered about the financial impact of hunting on South Africa. While I don't contest any of the numbers presented here, there is one aspect that I feel is being overlooked. I think the term "velocity of money" is what I'm talking about. Perhaps a brief explanation is in order. Think of it this way, what do the Outfitters, PH(s), Trackers, Skinners, Drivers, Cooks, Maids, Laundresses etc. do with the money they earn? The obvious answer is that they spend it. That money also influences the overall economy. IMHO this is the financial impact that is being overlooked and therefore under-reported.

Good info. My personal spreadsheet of my two trips they are very accurate with their numbers and data.

Think of it this way, what do the Outfitters, PH(s), Trackers, Skinners, Drivers, Cooks, Maids, Laundresses etc. do with the money they earn? The obvious answer is that they spend it. That money also influences the overall economy. IMHO this is the financial impact that is being overlooked and therefore under-reported.

I agree with this on my last trip we split the time between two places. The first place had a women cleaning etc for us in a very nice camp. I wanted to give her something so as we were leaving the compound we stopped to give her her tip but she hadn’t got there yet. We drove to the front gate and I saw her walking in on one of the side trails so turned and I got out and gave her the tip that I thought was good for the work she had done.
She smiled and took the tip. My PH said that what I gave her was more than she would have been paid for the time I was there.
On my first trip to SA I had a skinnier, tracker, driver etc. so for my plan for that trip I had put aside x $ for these people. On this trip I only had a PH and one other person who did all of the above. At the end of the Safari my PH said I should just give him his tip so I picked up a SA thank you card and put what I had set aside for all those people as I remember it was in the $250-$300 range. He was shocked and gave it to my PH to take care of. I also tipped my PH over 8% of the cost of the hunt using the tipping thread from here as very good. I kind of got the feeling from my PH that if I was giving him that much I should have given him more?
BHFS300
I am sure that this money went back into the local community from these people.

This didn't bring up taxidermy either. If you had it done in the US it still needed dip and pack in country plus exporter. That's jobs and money. If it's a taxidermy studio, more money in country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you