How much does your African rifle weigh?

I had never given much though as to how much the average M-70 .375 H&H weighs especially with the latest scopes. The first M-70 I scoped I scoped with a 1” tube 1x4 Leupold, I would guess that scope weight over 1 1/2 lb. less than the latest and greatest swarovski’s and Zeiss’s.

Lon

Here are mine. For consistency and comparison-- all weights are with mounted scopes, no sling and all magazines are full but chambers are empty.

Winchester M70 416 Rem Mag ---10lb 1oz
Montana M99 450 Watts ----------11lb 0oz
Winchester M70 338-06 -----------10lb 0oz
Winchester M70 375 HH -----------10lb 7oz
BRNO ZKK 375 HH -----------------10lb 9oz

500 Jeff 11.5lbs....the rest are a lot lighter....

Question on the 11 pound 375's. Do you own them bc 11 pounds recoils favorably for you or you own them bc the vast majority of them end up configured that heavy when its all said and done?

Imo the 375's are way overbuilt (and maybe they have to be to not crack the stock). I find my 9 pound win 70 is perfect for recoil but add another pound or two and its too heavy to carry. My controlled feed Savage 375hh (a rare bird) weighs 6.5 pounds with irons and 8 pounds with scope. Recoil is stout but with 2 other virtually identical Savage rifles I can't justify shooting it for practice; its 3-4 shots on a bench and to the field it goes.

Don’t know about other 375s but some weight differences will be because stock densities vary a little and scope choices vary. Also, all other things equal, sometimes it’s no more complicated than smaller hole through a barrel that may have same contour and same outside dimensions for larger calibers. Both my 375s are basic factory.

Some manufacturers build heavier rifles. I would rather carry a light rifle and accept more recoil. As we all know when shooting at an animal you seldom feel the recoil.

#1 Custom bolt action, 30. caliber with 30mm or 34mm scope, flush cup sling, qd bipod, bipod rail, 11.8 pounds.
#2. Remington Model 7 in 17 Fireball, 30 mm scope, sling. 6.5 pounds.
Never really worried about the weight. I'm old and my days of stalking an animal for multiple kilometers/miles are over. YMMV.

Which one? All weights unloaded
Winchester 1895 .405 24 inch barrel, no scope, 8 pounds
Simson Co DR 24 inch barrels , QD scope off, 8.5 pounds

Winchester 1886 .45-90 with 26 inch octagon barrel, no scope, 9.5 pounds
Beretta .45-90 DR 26 inch barrels, QD scope off, 9 pounds

Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby, 24" barrel Leupold 2-7x Firedot, Talley steel QR rings 7.5 lbs unloaded no sling. XCR II is top rifle, my venerable BDl in 270 (50 plus years old on bottom.

full

CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, 24" barrel Leupold 1-5x scope, Talley steel QR rings 12 lbs.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t know about other 375s but some weight differences will be because stock densities vary a little and scope choices vary. Also, all other things equal, sometimes it’s no more complicated than smaller hole through a barrel that may have same contour and same outside dimensions for larger calibers. Both my 375s are basic factory.
My 3 CZ550 375s with 25" barrels weigh 9.3#, 10.0#, and 10.1# empty without scopes. The lightest and heaviest are walnut stocked, but the stock dimension differences are noticeable even with the same LOP. The other is a laminate. The heavy one is being rebarreled to 458 Lott as we type, will be a little under 10# with the new barrel; same barrel profile with a bigger hole in it, and 2" shorter. With a scope, it will be right around 11#.

Chapuis UGEX 9.3x74R weighs 7.7# without the scope, 8.9# with Weaver 1.5-5x24 scope.
Ruger 77 MkII 300WM w/ Leupold VariXII 3-9x40 is 9.3lbs

I have two 'safari rifles'...

My 404J, built on a LH GM M98 action by Reto Beuhler weighs 10 lbs., 4 ounces with sling and Leupold VX3 1.5 - 5X. I tried a VX6 1-6X with Fire Dot, but the rifle felt unbalanced and awkward. Has a 23" PacNor barrel. It is a beautifully balanced rifle - a quality that is somewhat diminished when the scope is added.

My 375 H&H is a LH Winchester Model 70 Safari Classic - mainly factory configuration but with a custom walnut stock. I guess it's weight at about 9-1/2 lbs. with it's Leupold 2-7X scope.

My .505 SRE wildcat, ballistically the same as the .500 NE, weighs 8.75 pounds unscoped. I don't use it with a scope, just a Lyman 48 receiver sight and a Sourdough front sight on a Williams ramp.

When I was issued an M1 Garand rifle as an officer candidate in the Marine Corps, I was told that it weighed 8.75 pounds. I was later informed that after you carried it for ten miles, the decimal point dropped out.

I never found this to be the case with my .505 and I carried it all over the place. I never noticed the recoil, shooting elephant, Cape buffalo and rhinoceros, particularly the last, which treated me with the only charge I ever experienced, and prompted me to empty the three round magazine in a hell of a hurry.

.505 SRE.jpg

Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger; Leupold VX5HD 1.5-5x20, Viking tactics padded sling, 3 rounds of ammo = 10 pounds.

Ruger Alaskan in .416 Ruger; Leupold Mark AR 1-4x20, Viking Tactics padded sling, 3 rounds ammo = 9.25 pounds

Question on the 11 pound 375's. Do you own them bc 11 pounds recoils favorably for you or you own them bc the vast majority of them end up configured that heavy when its all said and done?

Imo the 375's are way overbuilt (and maybe they have to be to not crack the stock). I find my 9 pound win 70 is perfect for recoil but add another pound or two and its too heavy to carry. My controlled feed Savage 375hh (a rare bird) weighs 6.5 pounds with irons and 8 pounds with scope. Recoil is stout but with 2 other virtually identical Savage rifles I can't justify shooting it for practice; its 3-4 shots on a bench and to the field it goes.
I've shot quite a few varied 375's and I'd find an 11 pounder too dang heavy. An 8 pounder I could live with just fine, but a 9 lb strikes me as just right. Mine - 9.5 lbs all up. I'll have to make do..:)

Dakota 76-.416 Rigby w/Trijicon 1-6x Accupoint 11.8 lbs
CZ 550 B&C Stock, Dead Mule, 23" barrel, Leupold 2-7X VX-R-11.6 lbs
Unies de Armes de Leige .470NE DR(work in progress) projected weight 11.6 lbs

IMG_E1385.JPG
IMG_E1394.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Zastava M70 9.3x62 Talley rings
leupold vx-r 3-9x40 8.25#

Ruger Hawkeye FTW 375 ruger
Boyd’s platinum Stock rings trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 9.25#

the Ruger may drop 2-4oz when I get a normal thread protector instead of their absurd muzzle weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeauC1305

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross