How large do you estimate this Blue Wildebeest bull?

Nico van der Merwe

Reaction score
Website
www.blesfontein.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
Cape Hunt and nature
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Hi

This is my dominant blue wildebeest bull, I am planning on darting and measuring him next week. Just for interest sake, how large do you estimate his spread to be (Rawland ward)?

IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0673.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert, so I won't judge, but I do know that he is in the PH wouldn't need to tell me to shoot class. :A Banana:

he would giving 30 inches wide ,at a guess
hard to tell with his ears pricked foreward
same thing as royal , we would be pushing each other out of the road to get him in the scope

I'd have to agree with bluey, he's really nice.

I would say his ears are probably 24 inches wide or so. That could put him as high as 33 inches.

I was told when we were glassing bwb, in the east cape , that the ears are on average 26 inches wide .
an inch over lapp on each horn is getting up there and pretty bloody special .......

Wide enough that I would love to have him on my wall. Forrest

Amateurs opinion - 31"

I love this stuff for whatever demented reason.

A couple of pointers:

1. If a matchbox can fit between the tip of the ear and the inner curve of the horn they are approximately 26”-28”

2. Width between pointed ears = 26 inches.

FYI
This #1 in SCI
blue wildebeest sci #1.jpg

From trophy judging torture. I guesstimated him at 28.5 He was actually 28 inches wide.

Blue Wildebeest judging.jpg

For this guy I am going to say 32.5.

blue w compare.jpg

Looks very similar to one that I hunted in Tanzania years back, so would guess at 33"

lovely bull , hard to judge the size , however I would guess that he is definitely RW , the size of his thighs , shoulders and neck are most impressive.

Judgement on wildebeest is quit difficult to say the ears are 26 " for some wildebeest have wider skulls than other we have shot wildebeest curling well past the ear and only measuring 25 and vice versa

My guess would be he is touching 32,5" a very good bull great to bring some good genetics into a breading heard

And as been said there would be a tug of war for the rifle if we stumble onto this bull

Keep well

A very impressive bull.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg