How is the best way to hang a Cheetah skin on the wall?

Dot

Reaction score
Hi,my name is dot and I am just an everyday housewife/nan and I have always loved the big cats think they are magnificent, and my husband recently bought a very old but extremely beautiful cheetah for me for our anniversary. It came with a black felt type backing but i think its too special to put on the floor so I need some advice how best to hang it on a wall and also if it needs treating with anything to protect it? Any help would be gratefully received as it is still packed away and it has the most beautiful face it needs to be where I can see it, thanks, kind regards dot

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you can sew rings on it, to hang on the wall or I think you use hanging strips.

If you aren't too fussy, a generous amount of double-sided tape should work decently. Best of luck.

On this forum is a Taxidermy section and there are a number of remarkable taxidermists that frequent. Maybe post the question there too with pictures :). Good luck.

Dot, Pheroze nailed it, Take it to a taxidermist that you trust and see if he can work it over to make it like new, and install small eyelets for hanging on the wall.

Where are you located? There are two taxidermists I know of in the southeast US that I recommend.

Velcro attached to the felt backing then the other side to the wall.

I've mounted mountain lion rugs to two different types of walls:

One was drywall, and I simply used a staple gun and nailed the felt to the wall, with staples every six inches or so around the rug.

The staples are under the lion skin and are hidden.

The other was a rough block wall, and I stapled the rug to a 1/4-inch plywood backing that I mounted on the wall with lead anchors, also hidden under the skin. I traced the outline of the rug on the plywood first, then used a saber saw to cut about 1/2 inch inside the outline so the plywood does not show.

Bill Quimby

Dot, do you have some pictures of this rug you can share?

Welcome to AH.

On this forum is a Taxidermy section and there are a number of remarkable taxidermists that frequent. Maybe post the question there too with pictures :). Good luck.

Ok, was it with remarkable stupidity that I thought this was posted in introductions? Sorry Dot but it would seem you have it in the right forum! Still no pictures tho.....

I recently hung my felt-backed zebra, blesbok and impala hides on drywall using black 1" "panel" nails. Only used as many nails as required to support the hide. Much fewer than I would have thought. I had intended to put the nails through the felt, but the weight was stretching the holes. I then just put the nails through the hides. They have been up since November and no modification required. Two people definitely make the job easier to avoid wrinkles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross