AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Members as a sideline project: Making a powder horn for next year`s black powder hunt. It is something I wanted to do for a long time ...This horn is from a bull I shot and slaughter for meat on my friend Chris Moolman`s farm. The skin was turned into leather we will use to make "velskoene" next year. I will upload photos as I make progress...keep in mind I am using modern tools to work on this horn...the old people /hunters did not have new technology.
CgPuRg1.jpg

The powder horn is sanded down, still need to remove some dents to get a smooth surface. I made a dummy lid today that fits snug into the open end of the horn. This will be substitute with a hardwood one. I will heat/boil the open end in hot water for a while to soften it to form around the wooden lid when completed. I then will commence with the other end that will be the pouring side where a measuring funnel will be inserted. I will make my own measuring funnel to pour the black powder from the Powder horn:
ST9m2T7.jpg

I made the lid from Tambotie wood, I am sure I will be able to carve it into a nice pattern ...I am still scraping the horn to get a luster appearance. Something of interest for those who like to work with wood and have Tambotie wood ...these photos will show how I used a chipping hammer to hit a lot of small holes into the two Tambotie disks I need to glue as the lid...this is to ensure a better bond ..Tambotie wood has a lot of oil..you need to create a course surface to ensure the glue bond well...
0khyed2.jpg

ICVadlG.jpg

cMVpkwI.jpg

uvqx3s3.jpg

I commenced with some carving work on the lid today...
I worked on the design of the lid, will do some carving when commencing again...
dHi3OVl.jpg

lxLt605.jpg

This is the filling work I have done so far..still some work left but I will get there..
6l0yIWN.jpg

PWbaM58.jpg

r040Ddb.jpg

7Tqh1Ha.jpg

vyokjNX.jpg

Will upload photos as I make some progress(y)(y)

Attachments

• vyokjNX.jpg
    vyokjNX.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 207
  • uvqx3s3.jpg
    uvqx3s3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
  • ST9m2T7.jpg
    ST9m2T7.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 209
  • r040Ddb.jpg
    r040Ddb.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 200
  • PWbaM58.jpg
    PWbaM58.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 201
  • lxLt605.jpg
    lxLt605.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 231
  • ICVadlG.jpg
    ICVadlG.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 193
  • dHi3OVl.jpg
    dHi3OVl.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 213
  • cMVpkwI.jpg
    cMVpkwI.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 220
  • CgPuRg1.jpg
    CgPuRg1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 505
  • 7Tqh1Ha.jpg
    7Tqh1Ha.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 243
  • 6l0yIWN.jpg
    6l0yIWN.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 236
  • 0khyed2.jpg
    0khyed2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 199
When I made mine Gert I used a brass plumbing cap and a short length of thread for the end cap and it would stand upright on the loading bench. Not the same thing as an authentic looking 1880's style but it served very well when I had the black powder pistols.

Garry, I have seen a lot of different types and styles of black powder horns, all good and functional. This black powder horn I am making for myself I like to make it as I go along. My second one will probably looking better...(y)

hVPGJRI.jpg

Final product : the lid for the horn alongside some buffalo boss horn grip caps that I polished..

Attachments

• hVPGJRI.jpg
    hVPGJRI.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 238
I completed the lid for the horn . The extra piece of pine wood at the bottom of the lid is to enable me add more decorative pins ...I will be turning the plug tomorrow...
wf7stn0.jpg

Attachments

• wf7stn0.jpg
    wf7stn0.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 202

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!