How far out have you booked a hunt?

brushmore

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
I've gone through all of my plans for the next couple of years and decided to finally do a buffalo hunt in 2-1/2 years in March/April 2020. Now that seems far out but figuring out the budget and saving up it's not that far out! What's people's opinions on when I should be talking to outfitters? Do you think I should be looking to set a date soon or is best to wait until it gets closer? There's always some great deals here but they are usually last minute which is why I am asking.

I've gone through all of my plans for the next couple of years and decided to finally do a buffalo hunt in 2-1/2 years in March/April 2020. Now that seems far out but figuring out the budget and saving up it's not that far out! What's people's opinions on when I should be talking to outfitters? Do you think I should be looking to set a date soon or is best to wait until it gets closer? There's always some great deals here but they are usually last minute which is why I am asking.

If you're asking from the outfitters point of view, generally speaking for the upcoming show season, most outfitters will be booking for 2018 and 2019. The books will not likely be opened for 2020 yet. But that is generally speaking, I would not be surprised if there are exceptions.

If you're asking from your point of view, I don't think it's ever too soon. If for budgeting purposes I would say take the average of what you're finding now and add maybe a 15% buffer to that. I say that not because I have some info that says that's what prices will be in 2020, but being conservative and allowing for a price increase of that order between now and the 2019 show season should have you covered. If in fact prices stay the same or drop, well then gravy right?

I was probably close to 2 years out on my red stag in Argentina. It wasn't exactly my plan; I had booked about a year out and circumstances changed early enough that I was able to reschedule for the following year without loss, which was nice. So I don't think 2 1/2 years is too soon.

Of course the best price is going to be a last-minute deal. If a client backs out at the last minute and leaves an outfitter in the lurch, the outfitter is going to do his best to recoup the loss or at least mitigate it. The number of people who can leave at a moment's notice and fly to Africa is rather limited. Simple supply and demand will result in a low price. They can be a great deal if it works with your lifestyle and are flexible enough to take what comes up on offer. If my heart were set on a buffalo, I'd spend some time deciding what I want in a buffalo hunt, where that can be found, what my budget supports, where to go (geographically) then finally an outfitter. A good outfitter will be in demand, so a couple years out is not unreasonable. If I didn't really care what I hunt, I'd look through the forum to determine the most common time for a last minute hunt offer, book some time off at that time of year in 2020, get my documents in order, practice shooting my 375 (since I wouldn't know what I'm hunting, I'd practice with my most versatile firearm) and keep my fingers crossed.

So I've booked between 2.5 years and just over three months.

1. Do you want to hunt with a specific outfit in a specific area with a specific PH? Start talking soon and book quick, especially if you also have relatively specific dates in mind (and all is probably even more true if the hunt is a wild area, where you may not can be taken to the next ranch down the road).
  2. Are you much more open to general areas and outfits? Then at least at current I'd say wait to book until the year mark, or even inside and look for that "last minute" deal. You do run the risk of price going up, but you can also find good values (notice I didn't say cheap, there is a difference).
I totally agree with Phil that it's never to early to start looking and talking. If nothing else you gain knowledge and can refine your decisions. But booking that far in advance has advantages and disadvantages and you have to figure out what is best for you.

For me I've noticed that each trip seems to be booked on a shorter time frame than the last and that I'm no longer tied to certain dates, or even a year. If the right hunt doesn't come along I will wait. For many many reasons you may not be able or willing to do this.

Specifically for Africa. My bookings have both been about 18 months.... however, I was digging in ready to book months before the "show". That's just when the deal was inked.

If you're asking from the outfitters point of view, generally speaking for the upcoming show season, most outfitters will be booking for 2018 and 2019. The books will not likely be opened for 2020 yet. But that is generally speaking, I would not be surprised if there are exceptions.

Yup, pretty much asking from the outfitter's point of view. I pretty much have an idea on my end but just starting think when I need to start writing a check for that deposit.

About 9-12 months out, but research usually begins much farther out than that

I booked 2.5 years out and airfare 11 months (maximum) I drove Lorrie nuts because I'm superstious, even number seat left side of airplane window seat I tried to hire the Pope to bless the plane but he was already booked

I will tell you to limit the amount of the deposit if your 2 1/2 years out and tell them you will send full deposit in by 18 to 12 month before the hunt. Unless your doing a deposit to lock in a killer price for 2 1/2 years ahead I would be very careful. So if they want 5000 to lock up hunt 2500 now 2500 so many months out as you agree to.

Very few outfitters will even be able to lock pricing up in 2020 now. Just read the small print and dot the I's and cross the t's so you feel good about it all. Good luck

Some of the deals I've seen on this sight it might be better to just go on spur of the moment.

I am still a relative "newbie" as far as hunting Africa...having only hunted there twice...2016 & 2017. My first hunt was a cancellation buffalo hunt that was advertised on this site last year. I think I booked on 3/26/16 and was wheels up for Joburg on 5/1/16. That was a quick turnaround and IMHO got extremely lucky to have a great hunt and fall in with a very good outfitter.

This years hunt...with the same outfitter... was booked mid January and I was headed to Joburg in mid April. The outfitter and I had been discussing this hunt since my return in '16, the booking in January was merely making a deposit and final tweeks to the contract.

I am planning on going in 2018...with the same outfitter...and expect to finalize the deal sometime after the first of the year.

Taking the above into account you can book on short notice and probably get yourself a good deal on a buffalo hunt...the trick is you have got to get the right outfitter...they make the difference. There are many quality outfitters on this site, check them out and see what they have to offer.

I booked my first trip to Africa 12 months in advance, my second trip has been in the works for 12 months already and will be first of June next summer. My Romania trip was booked 18 months in advance.

Reactions: BWH
For planning and budgeting purposes you are probably right on track. For working folks a buff hunt is a major investment and to save up for it takes a little time. I agree with those that think booking not might be a bit premature but certainly identifying a timeframe and starting the research process is in order.

Actual booking, not more than 6 months away, planning could take much longer.

I try to book (by deposit) with Outfitter/PH early enough that I get MY desired time slot in the hunt area. That is usually 1-2 years in advance. I buy airline tickets about 11 months in advance (about the earliest possible) to get first crack at upgrading the economy seats I prefer.

Research everything now and make a decision on outfitter first of the year during show season if you can. Then negotiate the hunt and times aiming to put the deposit down say a year out.
But everything said here by a lot of good folks can work if it's what you want to do. Good luck!

We (wife and I) booked 14 months in advance for our last trip...

Our intention is to book our next trip while at DSC in January 2018 for a hunt in June of 2019 (18 months in advance)..

The next hunt will be a relatively big one for us... buff, eland, bushbuck, and nyala are all on the menu.. we want plenty of time to plan, prepare, save, etc..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!