How far do you have to travel to even hunt?

steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
I am so deep in a metroplex that I feel like I have to travel about an hour in any direction (or more) to get off concrete and into the woods! How are prospects for you?

I am so deep in a metroplex that I feel like I have to travel about an hour in any direction (or more) to get off concrete and into the woods! How are prospects for you?

About 40 minutes. Don't have land access any closer.

Black bear and moose on our deck and under the eves of the cabin frequently, so theres that. Coyotes, Lynx and brown bear within a 100 yards of the cabin.

You should leave the city immediately. All of societies problems come from the cities. Nothing good happens there cause it isn’t real. Just saying.

Black bear and moose on our deck and under the eves of the cabin frequently, so theres that. Coyotes, Lynx and brown bear within a 100 yards of the cabin.

You should leave the city immediately. All of societies problems come from the cities. Nothing good happens there cause it isn’t real. Just saying.

You hit center of black with that comment!

10 to 15 minutes for mule deer, elk, and black bears

90 minutes from home to a lease in northern Kentucky. Public land in Ohio, about 45 minutes.

It’s about 3.5 hours to my primary deer woods… I can get to good ducks on public land in less than an hour… decent hogs in about an hour as well…

This bull was about 200 yards above my house on my land...
Xaz9Nrcl.jpg

As was this buck...
ydyXjkol.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My goal has always been to retire on property with good hunting out the back door. I’ve been very blessed to see that come to reality.

Deer, coyotes, mountain lion and bobcat zero minutes. Elk five minutes. Pronghorn five minutes. Black bear ten minutes. Bighorn sheep fifteen minutes. Moose fifteen minutes.

1.5 hours

Have taken quite a number or whitetails and some turkeys within 100 yards of the house. My kids watched from the windows as I took a doe after stepping outside a few years ago.
I legally could apply for black bear. Good luck with seeing sign, let alone taking one though.
I do travel 4 miles away for a lot of my hunting these days. Have other options, but like to stick closer to home for same availability.
9D175469-3EE3-45DF-BF25-400C573E7706.jpeg

Last edited:
Back yard if I wanted to. Two or three of these come by about this time every year and hang around for 2-3 weeks. No desire to hunt around here or shoot one even though the unit is open for most species.

Bambi 11 18.JPG

Buck 11-21-09-3 copy.jpg

And some years, quite a few of these April and May around the house. This tom just outside the yard fence.
Tom right profile copy.jpg

Last edited:
Very blessed to have 13, 30, and 85 acre parcels all less than 10 minutes from my house. Last turkey I shot I simply raised the window and shot it at about 10 yards. Black bears routinely on my back porch as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois