How do you select an outfitter?

TerryR

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
In my case it has been word of mouth. My brother set up my first hunt with Mark Kyriacou in Botswana. I have returned to Botswana 3 times and also hunted on Clive Eaton's ranch, Clive and Mark cooperate, and Clive was my brother's PH. Now that the Delta is closing I have decided to try Zim. I booked with African Silwane Hunters on Clive's reccommendation for 2011.
My theory, listen to those who you trust. How do you make your choice?

Terry, nice thread! I look forward to reading how other members respond...

Do not go for the less traveled road!!

I beg to differ, I went down a less travelled road for my Buffalo hunt, and had the trip of a lifetime. I selected my hunt by price, reputation, region, and references provided. Price was a major factor, the region also critical, and once I found those two together I went by reference and my booking followed shortly thereafter.

I mean beeing one of the first 10 people to hunt in a place, more or less, were you one of the first to hunt that area?
I prefer to wait a bit, until the area could be referenced, that is all.

Reputation and references are probably the most important aspects to base your decision on. Price of course also plays a role but most outfitters charge more or less the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg