Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
P&y, nwtf
I am going to Africa for the first time with Limcroma in 2018. Needless to say I am very excited, almost to excited. I have read this forum non stop and began to retread the Capstick books. How does everyone pass the time before your hunt. I have a few hunts planned for 2017 including going to Mexico for my goulds turkey to complete the Royal slam. I should also draw my Arizona elk tag for 2017. However, non of these hunts have got me as excited as the safari. I love hunting but this is truly a hint that I have planned for 20 years. Just need some words of advice

Welcome aboard! Planning and waiting is both fun and builds up the excitement. Keep reading the forum, read more books about Africa, watch tons of hunt shows on tv, specifically paying attention to the shows that are showing the game you are after. Enjoy the forum!

I want to hear your Gould's report!!! I have like 13 points in Arizona and just have to wait to get drawn! I think that is an appropriate way to pass the time.

I would say read books, come here a lot and read reports and advice. Go to the range and practice off sticks. Practice getting a shot off in 5 seconds. Also, put some brush or grass around the target just so you get use to that. Take walks in your hunting boots. Take up fishing. Get a second job so you can shoot a lot more then you are planning. Sell some stuff so you can shoot more then you are planning. Study taxidermy mounts and get measurements and start to figure out spots in your trophy room. Figure out what to get your wife as part of the wife tax. Come here and read some more. Oh yeah deer hunt now, because you are not going to want to hunt deer once you get back from Africa. Buy cool stuff like a safari hat and a cull belt. Over obsess about packing. Practice shooting, practice shooting, practice shooting. Go to anti hunting websites and troll them...yeah that's a good one!

I like the troll part. Are you going with an outfitter for goulds in Arizona? I have been saving up points but decided to give Mexico a shot.

You and I are in the same boat. I have a couple of things planned for next year as well but all I can think about is Africa. I have been passing the time planning and shooting my rifles. I am accumulating stuff I didn't already have. I have plans to go to the DSC convention next year and spend at least a couple of days there. I am gradually working my way through the older posts on here and soaking up the hunt reports.

@Fire652 yes I do, I will be talking with him here soon. I even have a back up as well in case the first one falls through. I was a turkey hunting fool for a while but calmed down once I got my grand slam. I still go quite a bit but rather call more for my dad now, he really enjoys shooting turkeys and I enjoy the show.

I am going to Africa for the first time with Limcroma in 2018. Needless to say I am very excited, almost to excited. I have read this forum non stop and began to retread the Capstick books. How does everyone pass the time before your hunt. I have a few hunts planned for 2017 including going to Mexico for my goulds turkey to complete the Royal slam. I should also draw my Arizona elk tag for 2017. However, non of these hunts have got me as excited as the safari. I love hunting but this is truly a hint that I have planned for 20 years. Just need some words of advice

You've already started to pass the time in a worthwhile manner by reading the Capstick books. I would continue with that, adding books by Hemingway (The Green Hills of Africa and The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber), and Horn of the Hunter by Ruark. You should also consider reading some field guides to the animals you will be hunting - not only will it make your hunt more interesting, but your PH will be impressed that you have taken the time to learn something about your quarry (don't be the guy with the list who shoots one animal and then say's "what's next" before even touching the animal). The Safari Companion by Richard Estes is excellent, but there are others. African Experience by Boddington has lots of good information.

I would suggest that getting Kevin Robertson's books - The Perfect Shot - both the mini version and the full size version (especially) should be required reading. There are also videos which provide similar information and can be fun to watch.

You also shouldn't ignore the fiction side of things (in addition to Hemingway). The Courtney saga by Wilbur Smith is first rate, as is Something of Value by Ruark (about the Mau Mau uprising).

If you are interested in rifles, African Rifles and Cartridges by John Taylor is a classic.

I envy you - my first time was long ago, and I too was excited. Fortunately, I've been almost as excited on every return!

You and I are in the same boat. I have a couple of things planned for next year as well but all I can think about is Africa. I have been passing the time planning and shooting my rifles. I am accumulating stuff I didn't already have. I have plans to go to the DSC convention next year and spend at least a couple of days there. I am gradually working my way through the older posts on here and soaking up the hunt reports.

This site has a ton of information. It can be overwhelming, when I travel for work I open 40 different posts and just read through them while on the plane.

It can also be dangerous because then you go hey darting a Rhino would be cool. Or hey I can actually afford a tuskless elephant hunt if I save for a little while. And then next you know you are trying to explain to your wife that elephants aren't endangered and Zimbabwe is a safe place and then you have to buy her a new purse, etc etc etc

Lol yea the good thing my wife wants to go when the kids are older. My problem is not the hunt but explaining the taxidermy. Problem with having a wife the hunts is she knows about cost associated with all the different types of mounts.

Welcome! Everything said so far is dead on. Are you bow hunting or rifle hunting in Africa? Practice whichever one it is or both. Get really good!
Start working on you packing list and keep it handy as you think of things to add!

I have my list somewhat dialed in. I do a lot of backpack hunts and can easily take that gear list down to what I should need. I just need a good pair of boots because my meindls are a bit loud. I am doing both gun and bow. And need to keep on practicing. Keep up the great advice I really appreciate it

Your best walking shoes in most cases will be fine. Hunted elephant with echo walkers on!

Anticipation of the hunt is the real addiction of this fine madness of ours. As I typethis, I am wearing a pair of Vietnam era jungle boots to make sure they are fully broken in for a trek into the Zambezi Delta 13 months from now. Should have just enough time! :)

Cut my hunting list down quite a bit. This is the essentials I can think of.
3 Kuiu shirts, long sleeve, peloton,
Peloton 240 hoodie
verde
Guide vest

1 Attack pants
1 Tiburon pants

Shooter gloves
Lowa renegade gtx2 boots
4 pair point six merino sock

Hat

Swarovski 8x42 binoculars

Bow. 1 dozen Easton fmj dangerous game with 250 gr a bowyer brown bear single bevel head

Range finder
2 releases

Tikka t3 lite 300 wsm 100 rounds ammo (still working up loads)

Backpack? Do I need

Camp clothes / travel clothes
Toiletries
Camera with extra as card

Power adapter for sa
Journal to write about safari

You pretty much have it covered in your packing list!

Yes, study the Perfect Shot and practice LOTS shooting from sticks!

Ordered the book and looking for shooting sticks. Any recommendations

We use Bogpod....Many PHs use them and even if they use traditional wooden sticks at least you've had lots of practice on sticks. Make sure you practice bringing the gun up onto them, acquring the target quickly and shooting. We use a metal gong for much of our practice. Reactive targets are great. Gophers are great practice too!

I am going next year, and can say that my current waiting schedule includes -

Shooting- lots, off of sticks, prone, sitting, a little offhand. If its pricey to run ammo out of ones deer rifle, I run 22 LR at tiny targets.

Working- I am picking up as many extra shifts as I can. More money to take a few more animals if the change occurs, or to take a day and fish while there, send the wife to a spa, etc. as time would allow

Reading- I really should be doing more of this

Checking out AH- I am on here a lot. I check the shot placement gallery, and I don't hesitate to ask questions.

Line up things- Gear list, airfare (I just finalized mine), etc.

For me, I have been hitting the gym when I can as well. All part of the things that help keep me from going nuts waiting.

@Fire652 you are going to dressed pretty fancy for Safari!!! I actually wore sitka gear some on my last hunt and loved it, I was sweating but my shirts were dry in no time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg