How do you afford Africa?

With that being said, Im a big believer in doing a trip as soon as you can, because you never know when you're health won't allow it. You can make more money, but that money won't allow you to buy time.

I totally agree with this statement !

Do it while you can!
I was dealt a blow health wise right after returning from my 2021 safari. About 6-7 months ago doctor told me don’t wait till 2023 to go again like I had planned. He said he couldn’t guarantee I would be able to by then. So I booked another 21 days for 2022. I scrounged up the money by extra work, selling off extra items I really didn’t need. Cut back on daily expenses.
I am supposed to depart Tuesday May 17!
Had a set back last week again and have follow up with doctor Monday 16th to see if I can actually make the trip!

Guys go while you can. You can make more money later on. Health deals bad and strange blows out of know where.

Do it while you can!
I was dealt a blow health wise right after returning from my 2021 safari. About 6-7 months ago doctor told me don’t wait till 2023 to go again like I had planned. He said he couldn’t guarantee I would be able to by then. So I booked another 21 days for 2022. I scrounged up the money by extra work, selling off extra items I really didn’t need. Cut back on daily expenses.
Had a set back last week again and have follow up with doctor Monday 16th to see if I can actually make the trip!

Guys go while you can. You can make more money later on. Health deals bad and strange blows out of know where.
I think there is truth to this statement. Good luck and I hope you make it! I also had a reality check on my mortality recently. Life is a weird balance of planning for a marathon but realizing it can be a sprint. Don't be reckless but make space for those priorities.

I think there is truth to this statement. Good luck and I hope you make it! I also had a reality check on my mortality recently. Life is a weird balance of planning for a marathon but realizing it can be a sprint. Don't be reckless but make space for those priorities.
The American Indians used to have a saying -- "Only the rocks live forever."

You have to balance the requirement for funding your "old age" with the possibility that you may not last that long.

Hey 60 is the new 40
@Rare Breed
Who told you that lie. I had more aches and pains at 60 than I did at at 40.
At 64 I don't worry about new year celebrations as 9pm at my age is the new midnight plus what I used to do all night takes me all night to do.

Do it while you can!

Best of luck Mark. May God bless you with healing.

@Rare Breed
Who told you that lie. I had more aches and pains at 60 than I did at at 40.
At 64 I don't worry about new year celebrations as 9pm at my age is the new midnight plus what I used to do all night takes me all night to do.
Lol!!!

Do it while you can!

@Bullthrower338 and I were having a little discussion in Montana after getting part of his move done and Cody brought up the bit of old man wisdom he was given...

Two things; 1.Don't sweat the small stuff. 2. It's all small stuff!

I had to agree that other than a couple things, it is all small stuff. The Good Lord pointed that out to me a bit over a year ago during my heavy brush with Covid-19 and being saved by the Grace of God and his putting @Just Gina into my life.

This question always makes me think of family guy…

• Peter Griffin : How am I gonna come up with 50 grand by tomorrow?
    Glen Quagmire : Well, you could whore yourself out to a thousand fat chicks for 50 bucks apiece. Or - or - or 50 *really* fat chicks for a thousand bucks.
    [Cleveland and Joe stare at him]
    Glen Quagmire : What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But they gotta pay!

Also in all seriousness save money wherever you can and those Pennie’s will add up faster than you think.

I make a decent living. The newest vehicle I own is a 2010. Automobiles are a depreciating asset and in general a money pit I make a conscious decision to have cars well below my means so that I can afford experiences.

Just to add to what @Mark Biggerstaff said, there are zero guarantees in life, my first cancer diagnosis was when I was in my middle 30s, I started the process to go to Africa just a few weeks later. I've had to deal with it once again, but the good Lord has allowed me a few trips since then, and hopefully many more to come.

I know he hasnt been on since 2019 but I figured I would post this since I am the same age and have nearly identical circumstances. Perhaps there are other members in their 30s who are in a similar situation.

I grew up poor and joined the USMC at 17 so saving money and being disciplined with a budget or in general were no strange concepts once I hit my 20s. Here is what I do so I can afford trips like this:
  • I pursued a degree that would almost guarantee a high salary, remote work so I dont pay for transportation costs
  • Live way way way below my means
  • Fix everything on the house or my vehicles myself
  • Aside from 401k & HSA, I save a large portion of my pay when I am in an active planning stage for a trip. nearly every purchase is accounted for to the dollar in order to save the money needed as fast as possible. Once the budget is filled, I go back to the normal amount of savings
Life has taught me that with hard work and discipline, you can go from poverty to African safaris. You just have to commit and make it happen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross