Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
Ill start things off. This year was phenomenal for waterfowling up here. The warm weather kept them around in huge numbers weeks longer than they should have stayed. I had some great shots and despite the dismal deer numbers, managed to take a nice buck n my 2nd last day. The non-typical I hunted the last couple years was killed on the highway a few days before season. :(

IMG_3650.jpg

so I turned my attention to a big 6x5 which ended up getting poached on a neiboring property midway through the season. The only good part of this event (if you can call it that) was the fact that it was witnessed by 2 people who actually had permission t b there, and were both RCMP officers :D. Long story short after getting ugly to the point that they had to pull their badges, which made thing uglier, the poacher was subdued and arrested on the spot.
That left just 1 mature buck in the area that I knew of. I managed to get a look at him 2x with no chance for an opportunity until my 2nd last morning. He made the mistake of chasing a doe back into the field 1/2hr after daylight. Seeing that he was not likely to pass by my stand, I used a hill and a rock pile to cut the distance and shot him offhand at 40yds.
Hell of a booby prize :D He is 6 1/2years old and has been passed on the last 2 years while pursuing the big non-typical.

2015 WT.JPG

As a bonus for next year, when I pulled the trail cam in a different area a new buck has shown up and I have plenty of pics of him. Next years quarry... (y)

PICT2140.JPG
PICT2161.JPG

So lets see some of your critters from this season.

The rifle season just kicked off here in LA (lower Alabama) and runs into February. our rut is still about 2 months away :D. Ducks are just starting to show up and I haven't seen snow here since the first grade (1992) !! Ill keep you updated as the ducks are just starting to arrive.

Please tell me you took that non-typical home and the liberals don't have some law that made you let the horns get eaten by squirrels.

that mongrel head in the top picture , which I guess is the one that got bowled over on the highway , looks like he may have a bit of moose in him ....
you next years model looks like he has all the gear hitch

image.jpg

My buddy shot this nice eight opening day of bow season this year at my place it was 80 F outside. also it was his first buck with a bow. He shot it spot and stalk at 20 yards.

That is a pretty good Booby prize.
That one hit on the road would have been a once in a life timer.

This year has been kept to freezer filler without anything to send to Dennis.

One more looooong shot chance before the end though..... Suffield Bull Elk. :E Day Dreaming:

I have only got to hunt for myself twice this year. All the rest has been guiding clients or my kids. I did however take a nice panhandle antelope in October. The other self hunting was in Africa this year.
image.jpeg
I hope I get the chance to hunt a couple of times in between clients before season ends. I may get to go this weekend but I don't know yet.

Please tell me you took that non-typical home and the liberals don't have some law that made you let the horns get eaten by squirrels.

My sister in law snapped that pic seconds before driving away. Someone else has that great buck in their garage :(

Last edited:
that mongrel head in the top picture , which I guess is the one that got bowled over on the highway , looks like he may have a bit of moose in him ....
you next years model looks like he has all the gear hitch

Im sure hoping he sticks around. I think he is just 3 yrs old which would explain why we have never seen him (on camera or in person) before, then all of a sudden this year he is posing every few days. The body says 3 too, looks like his 1st swelled neck, next year he may be even bigger. :) If he is 3 he will make one hell of a 4 yr old...

I only got out for a day this year, and not a lick moving around. My friends in southern Ab said things were quiet down there as well. Hopefully and easy winter to bring back the numbers on the eastern part of the province.

That is a pretty good Booby prize.
That one hit on the road would have been a once in a life timer.

This year has been kept to freezer filler without anything to send to Dennis.

One more looooong shot chance before the end though..... Suffield Bull Elk. :E Day Dreaming:

We haven't had so few deer here since the 80s. We were fortunate to have several mature bucks where I was hunting but most people around here saw very little and either filled out on a meat buck or ate their tags. Elk too, worst elk year I can remember, almost no elk killed here at all and in many places 5x the wolf sign as ungulates. Sure a hungry wolf pack puts on a lot more miles than other game but that kind of skewed ratio will not be good...

Good luck on the Suffield Elk, they are far from the wolves and there are sure some jaw droppers out there!!!

I only got out for a day this year, and not a lick moving around. My friends in southern Ab said things were quiet down there as well. Hopefully and easy winter to bring back the numbers on the eastern part of the province.

Unfortunately this is exactly what everyone I have talked to, except the blowhards, has said in all areas. Many road warriors, especially in the green zone, reported seeing 1 deer every couple days and the ones that are there are spooky as hell. (I don't blame them)

Its gonna be a few tough years before the game recovers.

I have only got to hunt for myself twice this year. All the rest has been guiding clients or my kids. I did however take a nice panhandle antelope in October. The other self hunting was in Africa this year. View attachment 52286 I hope I get the chance to hunt a couple of times in between clients before season ends. I may get to go this weekend but I don't know yet.

Nice goat, I wish we had more opportunity to hunt them.

Same thing here Hitch on the east side of Ab... A few good deer taken, but I wasn't so lucky, oh well there is always next yr, but I am thinking its like u said its going to be a few yrs before the numbers recover.....

sounds like you ABers need to be planning an African trip ........

Same thing here Hitch on the east side of Ab... A few good deer taken, but I wasn't so lucky, oh well there is always next yr, but I am thinking its like u said its going to be a few yrs before the numbers recover.....

Plus all the idiots who complain of not seeing many deer need to smarten up and stop shooting 2 or 3 does. Plus our inept FWS needs to get rid of all the supplemental doe tags since most hunters don't seem to have enough self control not to shoot does from a collapsed population and limit the general tag to only be good for either sex for 1 week at the start of season like it was last time we were in this situation.

That non-typical:E Day Dreaming:, too bad. Best of luck on that young buck in the future.:D Beers:. Congrats on your deer this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg