How dangerous is dangerous hunting?

A lot goes into that question that can’t be answered by statistics. Dangerous game shouldn’t necessarily be a dangerous hunt, it just has the potential. I’d generally argue the more human interaction an animal has the more dangerous it will become. I would not participate in CBL lion shooting, but fully believe it’s more dangerous than hunting a wild lion, same with buffalo. Hunting dangerous game in wild areas I’d generally expect to run away before charging, particularly if not wounded. Tuskless cow elephant hunts in herds however are supposed to be a very up close hunt with a high possibility of a charge. Your question really depends on the species, your PH and his experience, and the area you are hunting.

@375Fox is right - dangerous game hunts have the potential to become dangerous, but they should never reach that point.

If the PH does his/her job - gets you close enough for a sure shot - and you do your part - you've studied the anatomy of the animal, you're using the right equipment and bullet, and you only take a shot when you're certain of a clean hit in the vitals, then a dangerous game hunt can be a whole lot of fun.

On the other hand, if you shoot poorly, or place the bullet poorly because you got the angles wrong or didn't know where the heart/lungs were, or flinched, etc., and the animal is wounded and has to be followed up, then the hunt has the potential to become dangerous.

The first buffalo I shot was not well hit - I broke a front leg but didn't hit the vitals. We gave it some time and as we tracked it, it came after us. I had a good PH who got a shot in and turned it. Since then, I've practised more and I think I've become a better shot (haven't been charged by any more buffalo!), and certainly better able to control my nerves.

BTW, I have some experience with lions (both wild and captive raised), and I don't think that captive raised lions are inherently more dangerous than wild lions. I've heard the arguments, but haven't seen it play out that way on the hunt. Likely you will track the lion, and bump it a few times and if the day is warm, the lion will get tired of you pushing him and ruining his naps. At some point he will stand his ground, and that's when you will get a shot. He is unlikely to charge during the day unless wounded (unless you intentionally try to provoke a charge - some will try to do that). Animals, though, are like people in many respects. They can be unpredictable!

Too paraphrase Ivan Carter - "We are the ones with the guns."

I think @Hank2211 pretty well sums it up. Unless the client makes a mistake and wounds an animal, a dangerous game hunt simply will carry lots of unrealized potential danger. Place that first shot poorly, and all that potential becomes real.

Even then, it is the PH who will carry most of the burden of that mistake. His job is to sort out such errors. I do not know when I last read of a client being killed or injured (I do not count that Macomber fellow - besides the wife did it), but seemingly every year we lose another PH - usually to buffalo or elephant.

Stress of travel, sedentary plane ride causing DVT, stroke, AMI, traffic accident, jealous husband.....some of the real dangers in hunting. Be brave/live life...................FWB

The most dangerous situations often come from unprovoked charges from animals that you may not even be aware of. This happened to my buddy and his wife with an elephant cow on our 2017 hunt in the Save. Luckily cbvanb is a hell of a shot in a tight spot and put that cow down.

I learned that day to carry a rifle capable of handling tight spots when in DG country, even when hunting PG.

Too paraphrase Ivan Carter - "We are the ones with the guns."

I think @Hank2211 pretty well sums it up. Unless the client makes a mistake and wounds an animal, a dangerous game hunt simply will carry lots of unrealized potential danger. Place that first shot poorly, and all that potential becomes real.

Even then, it is the PH who will carry most of the burden of that mistake. His job is to sort out such errors. I do not know when I last read of a client being killed or injured (I do not count that Macomber fellow - besides the wife did it), but seemingly every year we lose another PH - usually to buffalo or elephant.
The wife? Frank decided to man up a bit late in the day, don't you think?

The wife? Frank decided to man up a bit late in the day, don't you think?
That was indeed the problem. He actually chose to go by Francis. :E Shrug:

I think several are very right, and as clients if we do our part the hunt will go smoothly, I am very excited about my first trip to Africa and I am preparing the best I can.

I know that many do not agree with the lion hunt in SA but it is what I can pay at this time and if in the future my finances allow me I want a 100% wild lion, but with the increasingly strict laws I do not want lose the opportunity to hunt a lion.

I must be missing out on some aspects of hunting if one looks at the comments above - "the wife did it " and "jealous husbands" . Might be some interesting stories to be heard .

I must be missing out on some aspects of hunting if one looks at the comments above - "the wife did it " and "jealous husbands" . Might be some interesting stories to be heard .

Francis McComber

Francis. Pretty much sums it up. But, it seems his was a happy life, if a short one.

To each their own!
Francis McComber
As in "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber."

I think several are very right, and as clients if we do our part the hunt will go smoothly, I am very excited about my first trip to Africa and I am preparing the best I can.

I know that many do not agree with the lion hunt in SA but it is what I can pay at this time and if in the future my finances allow me I want a 100% wild lion, but with the increasingly strict laws I do not want lose the opportunity to hunt a lion.
These hunts are still legal, so if you want to take this hunt, take it and don't worry with what others think. I took this very same hunt 10 years ago. It is pretty straight forward, you go out in the morning and start looking for tracks, when you find tracks, you follow the tracks until you find a lion. I shot my lion at 42 yards, 2 shots from my .375 H&H with 300 grain Barnes bullets. I had two PH's with me, you probably will too. So long as you make a good shot, you will have nothing to worry about. The only other thing I would say to you is this, KEEP YOUR SCOPE ON THE LOWEST POWER!!!!

@yarettlopez
Our @Red Leg and @Hank2211 are to the point. The hunt should not come to dangerous situation level if the first bullet is placed correctly..

But another aspect is: the most dangerous thing on earth is man with gun.
In DG hunt, at least a client and PH will carry gun. Sometimes other people. Could be 2 to 4 guns easily, and accidetnal discharge is not impossible. It can happen.

This is the latest one I know about, with fatality.

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/...ic-killed-by-foreign-or-croatian-stray-bullet

After this incident, public never learnt the offical investigation findings, but croatian safari associatian (a club) was afterwards closed, and their web site closed.

But the point is, accidental discharge can happen. Wounded DG animal can charge. Those are two risks possible.

For first thing, guns safety and handling is of utmost importance, and for second - first bullet placement (client responsibility),

Then search for wounded DG or stopping the charge - on PH responsibility, but client must be ready to shoot. But as mentioned, it should not come to the point, of dangerous situation.

Famous hunter Craig Boddington, has shot over 100 buffalos. He never experienced a charge. (He did see a charge to other person). That was his statement few years ago, on some show. (I was the one to ask question)
So, chances for a charge could be 1% or less. (if this is for buffalo, I cannot say for other DG... but it looks realistic to other as well).
Chances for accidetnal dischatge less then 0.01%.

Only if you miss while they are coming to you to be fed in RSA.

You are not stirring the pot. You are only showing your ignorance.. You haven't made a stupid comment in a while. You were due.. (y)

I'm sure we don't want to turn this thread into another poll on captive bred lion hunting.

But let me add this, @yarettlopez, I've done both wild and captive bred lion hunts, and accompanied others on them. As far as the hunt goes, a tracking hunt - which a captive bred lion hunt almost invariably is - can be much more exciting than a baited hunt, which a wild lion hunt usually is. In the former you get to see the lion, often multiple times, and get in close for a shot. In a wild hunt you will generally sit in a blind once you've established that an eligible lion is coming to the bait, and you will wait for him, and the spotlight will be turned on (these hunts are often done at night, though that depends on local laws), and you will see the lion for a second and then shoot. I know which I prefer.

You will be hunting on the ground, tracking your prey, getting in close to an apex predator. It should be exciting - have a great time.

And I know you haven't, but if you are ever tempted to, don't. Apologize, that is.

A hunt in DG territory can turn dangerous anytime. Back in 2014 a couple of days after my Buffalo was safely in the salt we were stalking an nyala and bumped into a young male lion at about 20 yards, he put on a show growling and tail thrashing before departing the area. This could have turned into more than just a good story very quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithcaterine92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg