How common does ammunition get lost?

Razor

Reaction score
First post! Hello everyone! I've been a reader here for years and finally signed up to post. I know absolutely nothing about Africa, other than what I read and see on TV and have a question. How common does ammo get lost when making the trip to Africa? Should I worry about going with a proprietary 375 like a RUM or Ruger over the H&H due to availability of ammo over there? Thanks!
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people pass it on because it's good advice, but not because it happens a lot. Bags do get lost, this happens with any air travel where you aren't loading the bag into the plane yourself (meaning: I've never lost a bag on a private charter). But I kind of liken the whole "use common ammo in case your bag gets lost" thing to the whole "wait 30min after eating to swim" thing. Good advice, but not much issue of you don't follow it.

Most of us reload anyway, so even shooting a common cartridge, if our ammo gets lost, there will be work to be done. Luckily, there will always be camp rifles available from the PH or outfitter, so I don't tend to worry about it. I usually take two bags, so I'll split up my ammo to make sure at least half of it gets there. For intra-continental (Canada, Mexico, and Alaska), I have shipped my firearm ammo to myself at my hotel/outfitter base/local gun shop in advance also instead of flying with it. In that case, if the shipment was lost, I had the option of flying with replacement ammo, but could avoid a few airport headaches by not flying with it.

I personally worry more about my clothes and gear not getting there than I do about my firearms and ammo. The firearm will get returned at some point (usually), as would the bag the ammo is in, which matters less, and the camp rifle and ammo will still allow a successful hunt. But I've had multiple instances where my clothes and/or gear don't arrive for long trips, and I hate the mad scramble to get re-kitted and redressed first thing when I arrive somewhere.

Pack ammo in two bags so if one gets lost you still have some.

Packing ammo in two bags isn't a bad idea unless you don't want to pay the extra luggage cost. That along with the fact that once you get into South Africa your ammo needs to come out of your checked luggage and go along side of your rifle.

On my trip last year I didn't worry about something getting lost. I had a change of clothes with me in my carry on and if my rifle or my checked luggage didn't show up in South Africa I would of just used the outfitters rifles and ammo.

We've never experienced any extra charges. We just throw the ammo in our suitcases. Once in South Africa your ammo must be in a separate container, not with your rifle. We just have two separate containers.....again doubling our odds of one getting there. Still no extra baggage charges. We just use two plastic pistol cases. They hold three boxes each. If we have two different calibers we make sure some of each is in each box. Done it on five trips so far with no issues.

****Edit: I guess I should add the caveat that there are two of us flying together so if you were flying alone then yes, you likely would experience some extra charges.

Last edited:
I've been over four times with no problems. But lost luggage does happen. The 375 ammo is available in the big sporting goods store over there. Your temporary permit should allow you to buy replacement ammo if it came to that.
And as mentioned your PH will have a rifle

Welcome razor! I've never had any problems. 375 ammo wont be hard to find over there anyways if there is a problem

This is one of THE most discussed topics on the forum. Forget about worrying about losing ammo. You are more likely to lose something else. Of course the way they make us pack if you lose your ammo you've lost your clothes and that is much worse! Of all the things you need in safari your gun and ammo are the easiest to replace. Try replacing a great set of custom made boots that are well worn in and fit you well.
To answer your question, no I've never lost my ammo on 10 international hunting trips. I've lost a gun temporarily (Austria trip) but not the ammo.
Enjoy planning your first safari! You are in the right place!
Regards,
Philip

Never lost ammo going over, but I lost it coming back for a day or 2

sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question on flying with the ammo once you get to South Africa. if I have it packed in my and my wife's checked baggage, what do I have to put it in once I'm there? would just a mtm ammo box with a master lock on it work?

You don't want to put a master lock on it or the TSA here in the states might cut it off. Use a TSA approved lock on the ammo box that is placed in luggage. Then once you are in SA remove it if requested to do so. I just used a plastic ammo box that I got from Cabela's and placed a TSA lock on it. It is best it it also has some kind of handle where you can loop a baggage tag around it.

On my hunt last year I flew South African Airways into Joberg and then to Port Elizabeth leaving the ammo box in my checked luggage. On my return trip they asked for me to remove it from the checked luggage at the Port Elizabeth airport for the flight to Joberg. Then once I retrieved my luggage at Joberg I again placed my ammo box into my checked luggage for the flight back to the US.

This ammo removed from baggage, might spend on the airline. On my Airlink flight JNB to SIS, Airlink wanted the ammo in a checked suitcase and not separate. On my return flight SIS to JNB Airlink wanted the ammo separate from the luggage.

On my BA flight IAH to JNB, Ammo was separate from luggage.

First post! Hello everyone! I've been a reader here for years and finally signed up to post. I know absolutely nothing about Africa, other than what I read and see on TV and have a question. How common does ammo get lost when making the trip to Africa? Should I worry about going with a proprietary 375 like a RUM or Ruger over the H&H due to availability of ammo over there? Thanks!
Matt

hi welcome aboard :D Beers:

http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ion-has-your-ammunition-ever-been-lost.29014/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois