How am I doing? (.375 Ruger practice)

Viral_SIGness

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I decided to try this before the rain came. 30 yards, 3 shots off-hand. With the Express Sights.

20200518_190109_copy_907x1111.jpg

I mutha-effing love this rifle!

20200512_153356_copy_2016x715.jpg

I love mine too. I purchased a Hawkeye African in 2012 that cracked the wood stock within the first 20 or so rounds. I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the stock. In the mean time, I ordered an HS Precision stock. After getting the rifle back from Ruger and waiting what seemed like an eternity my HS stock showed up. I bedded the action, did the final in-letting, replaced the trigger with a Timney, put a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 in Warne QD rings on it and started load development. I settled on 250 gr Barnes TTSX bullets and RL15 powder at 2900 fps as memory serves. I was getting around 5/8" 3 shot groups pretty regularly @ 100 yds and hunted woodchucks all summer before taking it to Newfoundland and killing a moose with it. Good luck with yours, it is an outstanding combo!

nice rifle! might I suggest a low power quality scope for it. FYI if you are shooting off hand in Africa that usually is a oh shit situation and your target is moving hopefully NOT at you! LOL usually off sticks.
I have a Nikon M-Tactical 1-4x24 on the way. 30mm rings already waiting :D My PH wants me to learn the rifle before putting a scope on it.

Even with the 300gr DGX, if I zero at 50 yards, it's only an inch low at 100 yards. I'm setting mine up for close to medium range.

Viral....

Offhand......30 yards....3 inches...I'd say you're doing good and when you do the same at 100 you'll be doing great.

Best of luck
I've fired it a total of 6 times so far. I'm enjoying the hell out of this rifle. I've seen people complain about the recoil, and I just dont get it. If you couldnt shoot this rifle, you need to stay behind a desk lol

That’s gonna hit a big animal at 30 , probably in the vitals.

The recoil will seem a whole lot less freehand.

I do like my .375H&H even off sticks. My nieces shot it right after me and just before their Dad,

You are having fun that is the main thing anyway . It will be interesting to see what experienced big bore folk say about the accuracy or level/ group size you might expect with practice.

I've fired it a total of 6 times so far. I'm enjoying the hell out of this rifle. I've seen people complain about the recoil, and I just dont get it. If you couldnt shoot this rifle, you need to stay behind a desk lol

Yes no wimps! Lol!!

Viral

The new rage in scopes is the lighted ones. I have a few and they work nice.

Too much is made by many about recoil .... glad you dont.

Do you have shooting sticks yet ?

Very nice round and rifle you have there.
I don't have any sticks yet. I'm practicing off-hand, and I'll move to sticks soon. I picked up some Reloader 15 and Varget today. This is one fun rifle! As far as recoil, a 12 gage with a 3.5" turkey load kicks a lot harder.

I agree on the fun factor and handiness of the 20" barreled 375 Ruger.
The 20" 375 Ruger & 416 Ruger are my most hunted with rifles. In areas where shots are going to be under 200 meters, they are top choices.

The honeymoon will soon be over and you'll notice the recoil. It took me a few rounds to feel the .375 and it had an original Red Ruger pad. We deal with it and have fun. Looks like the guy that sighted in your rifle shot my Lott too. Bump the sight a bit right? The elevation will sort itself out as you become accustomed to the shallow V.

I don't have any sticks yet. I'm practicing off-hand, and I'll move to sticks soon. I picked up some Reloader 15 and Varget today. This is one fun rifle! As far as recoil, a 12 gage with a 3.5" turkey load kicks a lot harder.

Yep.. if youre used to shooting a 3.5 turkey load from a seated position, shooting a 375 off sticks from the standing is no big deal at all..

For sticks.. you can spend a small fortune.. or spend very little.. or you can make your own for next to nothing.. just make sure whatever you do, that what you get is sturdy.. sticks with wobbly legs or legs that bend or bow, etc.. are no bueno..

I've got a set of cabelas branded sticks that are pretty decent that cost about $80 when we bought them I believe.. I've also got a set of "trigger sticks" that cost about $130 that I really havent found to be any better to shoot off of.. I also recently made a set of sticks.. total cost to make them was $3.90... I bought 3x 1"x6' curtain rods ($1.30 each) from Home Depot.. and used a couple of "Ranger Bands" (basically 1" wide pieces of inner tube) that I had laying in a desk drawer to hold them together.. While they dont collapse and arent quite as convenient or as adjustable as the $80 and $130 options, they are rock solid sturdy and are much more similar to what my PH's in Africa have all carried..

You shooting decent, but move your sights to dead center at that 30 yards, you might need to shoot a buffalo in the eye or between the eyes, not in the jaw..I agee practice until you can shoot that same group at 75 to a 100 yards...More hunters should learn to use those iron sights in this day of scope only mind set..especially if you hunt DG, regardless what some might tell you irons are best in the thick stuff with a buff in ambush mode..

You shooting decent, but move your sights to dead center at that 30 yards, you might need to shoot a buffalo in the eye or between the eyes, not in the jaw..I agee practice until you can shoot that same group at 75 to a 100 yards...More hunters should learn to use those iron sights in this day of scope only mind set..especially if you hunt DG, regardless what some might tell you irons are best in the thick stuff with a buff in ambush mode..
I mounted the scope long enough to get a picture, and test light gathering. I actually like the irons. They work rather well once your used to them.

I don't want to rain on your parade but... how well do you shoot a 22LR with Irons at that distance offhand? If your target looks the same you need a lot more practice. If the 22LR looks much better, you need a lot more practice. If necessary, consider shooting something larger than a 22 to get used to the recoil, when you can shoot a 7 x 57 or a 30-06 as good as you do the 22LR move up a notch. Do the same thing, then move up to the 375 Ruger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg