Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NWTF, NRA
I have done alot of reading over the last couple of days. It seems to me theres alot of splitting hairs over this caliber Vs. that one etc. It all makes my head hurt.
Heres what i came up with for a quality / affordable .375

Winchester model 70 safari classic in .375 H&H
CZ 550 in .375 H&H
Ruger african/alaskan in .375 ruger

I am thinking any of the 3 will do just nicely for a nasty ole buff.

opinons please

I like the classic H&H so for me it would be the CZ or Winnie. Would like to have the Ruger in .338 Winnie which is now available, but do prefer the original H&H design. No game animal could tell the diff between the new and the old.

Well I'm an accuracy nut. I don't care who makes it, if it'll shoot accurate it works for me. That said I'm partial to Winchesters. I have M70 in .375 that so far I'm quite happy with. But in all honesty it does have one disappointing issue in that it sometimes on feeding when the bullet is seated to SAAMI length of 3.6". Brought down to 3.58" and all is well. But in my mind that's an issue albeit from what I gather a very fixable one that won't cost too much to rectify.

Did I mention that I like accurate rifles? From Monday afternoon.....

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

Of the 3 you mentioned, the CZ would be at the top of my list. I don't want to push the issue of CRF vs. PF, old debate and I like the choice i have made, but, I own a Remington 700 custom shop that is very acurate. This is one of their older models that I sent back to the custom shop for a new laminated stock, and bedded.

The 375 H&H is a fabulous round, very impressive on bowling pins, if you haven't tried it you have to. Proof is in the pudding, a complete pass through every time.

Isn't the Win classic safari a CFR ???
Always thought it was anyway I would pick the Win 70 because I dont like an support CZ ugly looking action yes it works but I dont like the look of it and they rip us off here in South Africa $2500 and more for a plain standaard CZ big bore while I could get the Ruger Alaskan for less than $2000 doesnt make sense does it ? Actually got a quote and could order the 416 Ruger Alaskan including dies and 200 cases for $2000

The only con I can find against the 375 Ruger is the availabilty of ammo in Africa.

Frederik, Actually, to buy one in the US with cross bolts and bedded, is really not that far off of what you say they cost in SA. As far as looks, they offer them in a kevelar or laminated stock (for an additional fee) to make it even more of a tool. I have spoken to people before when they ask me what kind of rifle to buy, If it fits you and it's accurate, that's the one you want, the game at the business end of that rifle does not care what make or model number it is, or whether its walnut, synthetic, or laminate, he just know that it hurt.

I think the CZ is a fine rifle. I fiddled and tweaked my .375 to suit my own taste and have a good looking,solid rifle that I can depend on. I just have an affinity for the Brno/CZ style and with a bit of TLC they make fine working rifles.

Docman,
Do you fiddle and tweak your guns because you want to, or do you feel there not accurate and dependable right out of the box?

I fiddle with all my rifles,but I'm talking about cosmetics.I don't like laquer,so I oil my stocks.I don't like leaf sights,so I remove them and install peep sights.I prefer the Musgrave type front sight ramp,so I put them on my rifles etc. etc. All of my CZ's have been accurate and dependable out of the box,and that's why I like them..:)

I own a CZ 550 375 H&H and love it....the other choices are fine too. I just like the feel of the CZ....it reminds me of the old days!

Frederik, Actually, to buy one in the US with cross bolts and bedded, is really not that far off of what you say they cost in SA. As far as looks, they offer them in a kevelar or laminated stock (for an additional fee) to make it even more of a tool. I have spoken to people before when they ask me what kind of rifle to buy, If it fits you and it's accurate, that's the one you want, the game at the business end of that rifle does not care what make or model number it is, or whether its walnut, synthetic, or laminate, he just know that it hurt.

Our prices are without any cosmetics at all done and the stupid ugly drop european stock not the nice straight stock you get from CZ USA.

There you go,enysse,that's what I like about the CZ. They have that 'old school' look and feel to them..!

I love the CZ and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Have 2, one standard American in 9.3x62 and the Safari Classic in .404. Both are accurate and dependable. Used the 9.3 in Namibia in 07 and taking it to Zim this June. The .404 cost 2600 bucks in the states. Another thing you will notice is that the CZ or Brno rifles are a very common sight in the hands of PH's in Africa if you watch the hunting shows.

There you go,enysse,that's what I like about the CZ. They have that 'old school' look and feel to them..!

You see a lot of Brno rifles in Africa...and with good reason!

I'd do the CZ 550, send it to Tip Burns at Canyon Sporting Arms.
or Wyane at AHR American Hunting Rifles have them put a 3 pos type swing safety, slick up the feeding, and re-chamber to 375 WBy... and rock from there. Shoot improved 375 and standard 375 H&H best of both worlds!!!

CZ 550-- $950
Get Tip or Wayne to Fill the bolt, put a single stage trigger, slight feeding work, re-chamber and recrown the barrel, and a 3 position safety on it. around $775

Total bill out the door for a damn fine rifle-- $1,725

Ed

Personally I prefer a two position safety, its either safe or it aint, no halfway. I have owned several CZ rifles and never felt the need to recrown any as they all shot very well, sometimes spectacularly. Will admit that they do have the little "bump" during cycling, however its really only noticable on an empty gun while practice cycling. With rounds in the gun and especially while shooting at game, I never notice the bump and the guns cycle just fine. And the triggers are already single-stage. Yes, they have the set feature but it requires active participation to set it so its not an issue and the factory trigger is easily owner adjustable to a very nice pull. I think the CZ guns are an excellent value though the prices continue to climb. Like everything else I guess.

Agree SES, I have owned three, and out of the box with factory ammo (Federal actually ) all shot MOA from the bags. The 416 Rigby was on the bags but off the hood of my work truck, Standing only for that one.

Personally I prefer a two position safety, its either safe or it aint, no halfway. I have owned several CZ rifles and never felt the need to recrown any as they all shot very well, sometimes spectacularly. Will admit that they do have the little "bump" during cycling, however its really only noticable on an empty gun while practice cycling. With rounds in the gun and especially while shooting at game, I never notice the bump and the guns cycle just fine. And the triggers are already single-stage. Yes, they have the set feature but it requires active participation to set it so its not an issue and the factory trigger is easily owner adjustable to a very nice pull. I think the CZ guns are an excellent value though the prices continue to climb. Like everything else I guess.

I like a 2 pos. safety too, (more like on a P17--but alas they do not make one like that for the CZ) the one on it is cheap IMHOP. You may not feel the need to recrown, but sestoppelman, I've looked at a little over 200 production CZ and while most are pretty good they could all use truing up a little. The trigger while I think good in the CZ sets too far foward in the trigger gard and I perfer it to set further back. It also helps in recoil with heaver loads and calibers (maybe not the 375--but this is truly needed with the 450 rigby,505 gibbs, and 500 jeffery) it can be seen here:

ahrbk.jpg

Compared to this:

cz550trigger.jpg

I have this done to my 505 gibbs and it makes a huge difference!

The cycling can be improved on in every rifle/ Most of the best feeding guns out of the box that I have seen were push feeds. I have seen more CRF guns such as the M70's, CZ's and old M98 that had a little more than a "bump" that If you want to use your CZ right out of the box--more power to you. just trying to show a way to get a custom gun at a production price (less than a kimber caprivi, and not much more than a new M70 ($1100-$1300). These are the up grades that I found most useful.

Have fun shopping!

Ed

Attachments

• ahrbk.jpeg
    ahrbk.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 241
  • cz550trigger.jpeg
    cz550trigger.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 192
Thunder head,

The Model 70 Safari Classic would be a fine rifle, chambered for the EMPEROR caliber the .375 H&H Magnum................ It should & would certainly give a cracking treatment a good ole buff you intend taking ... Congratulations in advance .

Happy Hunting !!!!

Monish

Well Ed, I agree that ANY rifle can be improved and the CZ is certainly no exception. Maybe I got lucky with my 9.3, its been flawless since NIB in every respect. Two things that really stand out with it. It comes standard with two stock crossbolts and a second recoil lug just ahead of the receiver. Its curious to me that until one gets up to the magnums, you dont see those features as standard. As regards muzzle crowns, While I have not seen 200 of any rifle, to me the determing factor is not how the crown looks but rather how the individual rifle shoots. On a new gun that doesn't shoot as I expect, the crown is usually not the first thing I address but rather the last, because in my experience stock bedding is the usual culprit and is fairly easily dealt with via one means or another, usually glass bedding of the action and floating the barrel. The two CZ's I have now the 9.3 and the .404 are both properly bedded and shoot consistenly well at MOA or under. The .404 did get returned to their custom shop to get the bolt face opened up but is otherwise fine. I have had NIB guns from several major makers that never did live up to their advertisements and got sold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg